PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
My 707R was based on the anime. I'm saying your looks like the plastic kit based on the comic, chad.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
PS Allen,

I also wanted to be a toy designer when I was a kid. I think that is what drives my love for 3d modeling and collecting toys. I have Robotechs, Macross, Transformers from the new movie, 707, a Disney Nautilus RC conversion, and about 200 GI Joes plus vehicles. I also love to play with my toys, but besides you I only know one other person who "plays" with his toys. A good friend of mine who also lives in Dallas. I guess we all just can't grow up. Oh well, we are what we are. Kids at heart. God Bless us everyone!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 AM

The mid frame section. The mid section is divided into two parts. If I kept the mid frame in one piece it will be too cumbersome to build. The mid frame goes together exactly as the bow frame, biggest bulkhead at the end goes first then work it way in to the smallest bulkhead. Al goes together just a little easier then the bow, don't have to push, pull and shove all the bulkheads in as much.

The bulkheads spacer, top, port, lower and starboard got too much surface contact area to the center spars that they don't really need, so I cut out about 1" off each end and I will have to go back to the 3d model and fix that too. other thing, I got eight side of spacer between each bulkhead right now, I thinking that may not be enough to support the skin form concaving. I thinking I may need to double the spacers, but I will wait until the beta is done to see if I really need to. And, I was thinking maybe I should add glue tabs to each end of the spacer too to help make the contact to the bulkhead stronger.

So...... I joined the bow and the front part of the mid frame together. Look at the size of that thing sitting on my 17" laptop, and it is just one half of the frame, the other end is a little longer. I like big models
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-64.jpg   Usr ux-1-65.jpg   Usr ux-1-66.jpg   Usr ux-1-67.jpg   Usr ux-1-68.jpg  

Usr ux-1-69.jpg   Usr ux-1-70.jpg   Usr ux-1-71.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Allen,

What is the total length of your UX?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 PM

around 30.5"
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Really cool! Allen, is your model frames of thin thickness? I like it! Shows that design ingenuity can provide for excellent structural integrity without excessive breaking of blades from 1mm card!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 PM

each bulkheads are laminated with four sheets. the model is designed to printed on epson super b heavy weight 13"x19" matte. paper thickness is around 0.01". so each laminated bulkhead is 0.04"(1.016mm).

I cut the front and the end of the bulkheads first laminated them to the 2nd and 3rd bulkheads, then i cut them out of the sheet and laminated both to make a bulkhead. me no like cut 1mm card :(
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM

That's impressive considering my fiberglass UX hull is 35 inches long. My 707 is 22inches long. How long did your 707 turn out? I built mine to a proportionate scale relative to each other rather than a percentage of actual size. I couldn't go much bigger on the 707 because to keep them in proportion would have pushed the UX hull diameter in to the 10 inch range as opposed to the already huge 8 inch keel it already has. I used poster board and builders insulation foam to frame mine up, but mine has to be able to receive fiberglass and resin so it had to be dense. Yours is nice and light. Perfect to play with, although I guess water is out. Ok well keep those pics coming. I'm like a 707 crack fiend I gotta have it man!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM

my 707 is around 19.68". I like to buld my models as close to scale as possible, relative to each other size. somthing that carry over from my plastic scale modeling days.

i used to like r/c. but i just can stand having to do all that prep before i can play. nowadays, i only play with my r/c sail boats once in a blue moon.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 PM

707 comic or movie version.

Allen,

I forgot to mention that mine is based on the movie not the comic. The movie version and the comic version share some similar features. I attached two different version to illustrate. Oh and your paper model is definitely more like the comic version than mine.

The one on the left is the model version, whereas the one on the right is the comic version. The one in the middle is the movie version. There are a few other versions, but I have primarily seen 3 with the red black and yellow nose scheme. The nose and the mini sub bays are the most notable differences. The comic version has a fat nose and is a shorter boat more like the movie version. The model version has a thin nose and is longer than both. The movie version is like they combined both and made some cool changes. The nose is both fat and thin. It starts out fat on top and then as it connects to the hull it gets thinner, which gives it a very cutting look like it would slice through water very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-707_plastic-model-version.jpg   Usr ux-1-g70701.jpg   Usr ux-1-707-comic-version2.jpg  
Google Adsense