PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Allen,

That's is a cool job. I am trying to get back in to 3D design myself. I would like to do modeling. I am also planning on including all the detail. However I am not building it in to my 3D model, instead I will make all those parts by hand and add them to it so it's cheaper. I am not planning on making working torpedo doors, but the details well be on the model. I imagine it is very much easier to do in Rhino those kinds of things. I am going to start working on learning Rhino, but I would really prefer to work with TSplines. Do you use TSplines? It's basically just SubD modeling or NURMS with the exception that you can have a Tpoint, which is very useful in many cases, plus you can use it to convert meshes to nurbs. Very powerful.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
By not adding details in the model can't really save you enough to worth doing all by hand later, can it? I would jut paid to have it done for me know everything will be uniform and save time later. Beside, that details stuff will make the kit looks much more attractive.

I downloaded TSplines for test drive, but I never did got around to try before it expired. It does looks good in the video tho.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Well the problem is I am not that great modeler yet. I am not very good at adding detail. Further more you have to realize that Max was not intended for use as a hard surface design tool unlike Rhino especially with Tsplines doesn't handle surfaces well or very easily for someone who knows very little. I would love to have all that detail on my model, but I am just not there yet so doing by hand is the easiest way to get it. I have a set of scale blue prints. They are what I used to build my model. I sell them if you would like a copy. I sell them for 20 each. They are the same scale as my boat. 22 inches long for the 707. The UX prints are 40 because they are HUGE! and cost a lot to get printed. I accept paypal fyi. PS you really should get in to TSplines it will cut your modeling time in half.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 PM

few more junior shots

So Allen I decided to push my skills a little and add some more surface details to both the 707 and Junior. I started with the Junior. I will be adding it to the 707 next week pics coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-junior_screen4.jpg   Usr ux-1-junior_screen5.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 AM

wow! that's exciting, really cool! I like it a lot! you did a great job on it. you hit my nail, I'll buy that, or i'll buy your 3d model..... if i can afford the price, so i can save a little time building it. you going to make the belly intake poseable too? cockpit? looking forward to more. think you really should build your models in rhino.

i was going to do the jr too after finished ux-1 and 707f.
Google Adsense
Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 PM

So glad you like it, but I'm confused I thought you did everything in Rhino ie NURBS. What would you do with a mesh model? Anyway, I am willing to discuss options, but not on this forum. We would either need to chat via PM, email, or phone the choice is yours. I am ok with any of them. If you would like to discuss further please PM me.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM

rhino do have mesh convert, but nothing like 3ds max and i don't use it that way cause mesh in rhino is not fun and i don't want to spent time convert stuff, better to build all new. i was thinking using your 3ds model as a template to trace over the shape. that will save me few hrs so i don't have to build the model from ground up. basically, i just need your 3d model to copy the mash with nurbs. let see how far you going to take your 3d model and we can talk after. if you not going to do anymore to it, pm me your price and i'll see if i can buy it. thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 AM

BTW I am making this initially for the 22 inch version of my 707 to fit in the sub bays, so it will only be roughly 1.5 inches long to fit. However I am also making it for 12 inch version production as an SLS print for RC conversion.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Completed inner hull frame of the UX-1. Finally got that big daikon done, water bottle for size. Was going to jump on to the skin, but the printer at the studio is down, can't print the skin......
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-72.jpg   Usr ux-1-73.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 PM

707 22" plastic model

Hi Allen it's been a while since I posted with a busy life I just wanted to post my progress with the 707II from the movie. This is a pic of how my plastic kit looks unassembled with all it's pieces. I took your advice and made it with all the individual pieces like all the hatches and torpedo doors. It really is so cool. Thanks for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-2012-10-25_15-19-58_489.jpg   Usr ux-1-2012-10-25_15-23-51_457.jpg   Usr ux-1-2012-10-25_15-26-37_599.jpg  
Google Adsense