PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Thanks, chad. Didn't forget, graphic will come much later in Photoshop stage. You going to hand made your models? Sorry I can't buy them. I'm saving my toy money to buy a laser cutter.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I wouldn't say I am hand making my models, but yes they are made by me. As for buying one, don't sweat it. I am not really doing this project for anyone but myself. I doubt I will ever sell one, but I am cool with that as long as I have one and saved money in the process. The way I am building mine is like 1/3 the cost of doing the way most people do it by making a master, casting rubber, then laying a fiberglass hull. Doing that way can cost close to $1000, whereas mine will only cost 350 - 400 depending on how everything works out after all my 3d models are built.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

Chad, I enjoyed the discussion about P.C.'s and Mac's and the conclusion you came too is the one most sensible people come to. XP SP3 works really well, W7 better. The day Apple sells the O.S. and allows people to put it on the computer of their choice, I will buy it. I know many people who use Apple's for graphics, but are because of price considerations, and custom ability, are now buying P.C.s, when they upgrade. I think now that Steve Jobs is dead, eventually, the O.S. will be sold separately. Just a feeling.

I just talked to McNeel and they said if I sign up for a language course at a local Community College, they will honor the certificate and sell me Rhino a for $99 dollars. A full working version. It would be cheaper to go to school for a course, learn something, and get Rhino, than just paying the retail price!! I was inquiring about Rhino 5.0 which they still think is a year away for P.C.'s, as of last week.

Allen, I got my Silhouette Cameo Paper Cutter, and after some initial trials, I think it has much potential, for the price, $269, it may be a great option until you get the laser as you can built up parts and since you are not cutting them, laminating is not a big deal. It doesn't leave a brown edge either. Of course, it will not cut the super heavy stuff, 110 lb. card stock is about the limit.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 PM

I didn't mind laminating at all, John. I checkout a silhouette cutter too, but I really want a laser cutter so i can cut heavy stuff too. Some day hopefully soon when I got a few more models in my portfolio, I'm going offer them as printed kits to public at hobbies conventions and trade shows and I want to include laser cut frames with the models.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Zathros is that your name or your screen name. I find it so odd to call people by screen names. Sorry not really use to the whole forum traditions, because SubPirates mostly use their names, although they have screen names. Anyway, As for the class for Rhino sounds like a great deal, but my dilemma is money period. I have to choose where I want to spend my money since my hobby is so expensive. If paper is your only limiting factor for this hobby. you guys chose wisely, but like Merriman says I like my models to work. Sorry no offense, it's just more fun to not only work through building the model 3d and plastic, but then building them and then not just putting them on a shelf to look at, although I know of only Allens work and it is gorgeous well worth just enjoying as art. However, I have to say how much more fun it is to play with them like the real thing. To see them floating through the water with total silence and stealth si soooo cool. Just one draw back. They cost a LOT! No matter how you do it. Even if you buy a kit with all the parts to make it work the cheapest is going to cost you at least 800 - 1000. So spending any additional money right now on software when I already have functioning software is just not possible although I wish it was I to love what I see in Rhino particularly with T-Splines.
Google Adsense
Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Zathros,
Oh I forgot. You have a silhouette? We want one too, except we want the Cameo so we can cut thin metal. Allen I can tell you these things are awesome. I can see why you'd want one for a paper hobby, but I want one so I can cut templates for the details on my boat for scribing the details.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Did this post just get completely dropped by everyone??? It so, is it me? If so, I promise I won't say anothing else, just bring back the 707 stuff. I will shut up. I gots ta hab my 707 FIX ma'an!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:19 PM

I just busy unfolding and readjusting parts and I don't have any wip pic I can post right now, sorry.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I am always amazed at the speed of your work. You can complete a whole desing from zero to unfolding in just a matter of months. And best of all: you make it with precision and care.
You are a true professional Allen.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Zathros,
Oh I forgot. You have a silhouette? We want one too, except we want the Cameo so we can cut thin metal. Allen I can tell you these things are awesome. I can see why you'd want one for a paper hobby, but I want one so I can cut templates for the details on my boat for scribing the details.
I have the Cameo. The first one would not "zero in" and was returned. I promptly received a brand new replacement, and except for plugging it in, have not touched it. I guess spending 3 days trying to get it to work, then realizing it was "Off", took the "pizzazz" out of it. Must find some pizzazz. It's been a while since I had a good pizzazz.
Google Adsense