PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Usr ux-1

This is bad guy submarine USR UX-1 from anime Submarine 707R. Been working on this model on and off for about six or seven months now, too much distraction in life. Been busy designing several models, always busy doing something but not really getting anything done, so I am going to focus on just this right now, or at least till I got distracted with a new model idea again So far the shell is done but I'm sure I'll be making some change on that while designing the frame. I posed the UX-1 with the 1/200 scale 707R model I did some time ago for size com to help me picture how big the UX-1 is. As usual, the original model sheets and anime 3d models don't match up, but very close. I modeled mostly off the original model sheet drawings, but in general I referenced the anime version, and in areas that are not clear to me I improvised. So, even with all the references from web or books, my model is still not completely accurate, just close enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-01.jpg   Usr ux-1-02.jpg   Usr ux-1-03.jpg   Usr ux-1-04.jpg   Usr ux-1-05.jpg  

Usr ux-1-06.jpg   Usr ux-1-07.jpg   Usr ux-1-08.jpg   Usr ux-1-09.jpg   Usr ux-1-10.jpg  

Usr ux-1-11.jpg   Usr ux-1-12.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.09 MB
wow looks amazing, I already googling about the anime and it has a lot of interesting models..I will enjoy to see the progress.love it
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Allen,
you see me highly impressed! Quite a very nice model.
Your Problems sound familiar to me...

M.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM

707II for hard surface modeling

Hi Allen,

It's been a while since I said hi or posted anything related to my work. You are literally the only other person I can find anywhere who is doing anything with 707 stuff so it's fun to see you working on these projects. I am currently working on my 3d 707. Here's what I have so far. FYI, I am doing this to have it printed for rapid prototyping so I can have a real plastic model of this and convert it to RC. Here's a pic of where I am as of now. All the external parts like the prop, planes, sail, and junior hatches will be printed and glued on separately because they will be functional. PS I should mention that I am basing my 707 on this version.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-707_6.jpg   Usr ux-1-real_side.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Ux-1

PS here's the UX not yet covered in fiberglass, but taking shape. I guess you could say this is EXTREME paper modeling.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-ux-15.jpg   Usr ux-1-ux-13.jpg   Usr ux-1-ux-05.jpg   Usr ux-1-ux-01.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Allen,
Are you using Nurbs modeling or SubD modeling? Looks like SubD in Rhino, but Rhino doesn't do SubD unless you use TSPlines, but it's not smooth so I am a little confused. Are you just leaving the model in SubD mode without smoothing turned on? I don't know if you realize this but your model is a few steps from being able to be CNC'd for production. Or you could send it to a 3d printer although you would have to add wall thickness to it, which you can do in TSplines pretty easily ya know. Anyway point is you could have any size boat you want with a model like that. Looks great!

Check out either Scultpeo.com or Shapeways.com for 3d printing. So cool!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM

I build with the default Rhino nurbs. It build for paper modeling in mind from the begining, all the hull sections are truncated cone shape only fins are smooth ellipsoid like. the model looks smooth cause the hull made with 25 sections. It was never intended for 3d printing. For 3d printing, I did thought about it that, but I will have to start from bottom up again. Easier to convert model intended for 3d printing to paper model then paper model to 3d printing. Actually, either way is not easy, I like better to start new bottom up.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM

I have another question.

How do you add color and lines like the vent ports and what not to a 3d model in Rhino? I am working from a production version of Rhino for OSX, but it doesn't have all the features built in to it yet. Plus I don't know anything about texture mapping. Still learning. I would love to see screen shots of how that's done. Thanks!

And here's the newest version of the 707
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-707_7.jpg  

Last edited by chad; 02-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 PM

Production version? Rhino only offer one version the 4.0, that's what I am running. I download the beta 5.0 they offer for test drive sometime ago but still have not instal yet. You are not talking about the beta 5.0? I don't know what in there. Think I will just wait for somebody else workout all the bugs then I go buy the retail version :D

For texture mapping/rendering Rhino need Flamingo plugin. I didn't buy that yet. The rendering in my shots are basic rendering in Rhino, I just mess around with the Appearance sitting in Properties to get that. I seen it done in some forum when I first bought Rhino. Colors lines are easy, just follow the my pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-untitled-4.jpg   Usr ux-1-untitled-3.jpg   Usr ux-1-untitled-2-copy.jpg   Usr ux-1-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 AM

Rhino 5 for Mac

Yes the company that produces Rhino is developing a version of Apple computers, which is the version I am using. It is currently in development or pre-beta phase, but it has some very nice features. So I guess technically I am using Rhino 5, but with very limited features.
Google Adsense