PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Looks good !

There is an extensive discussion of Ogre on the Aerodrome website at the present time.

See: Ogre
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Historic color scheme

I am getting ready to produce the bottom chassis for the model and thought I should give some consideration to color schemes.

I want it to look similar to Russian equipment of the era (1890 to 1910) so I started looking at the painting schemes used by the Russian Navy early dreadnought period. There seems to be several different methods. (sample pictures included)

Method I: All white super structure with black turrets
Method II Red lower hull, black upper hull & super structure (including turrets) with black capped yellow stacks.
Method III Blue-grey hull, white turrets & super structure, with black capped yellow stacks.
In all cases the decks were Beachwood tan.

I’m not certain if these painting arrangements were specific for the fleet (Baltic as opposed to Black Sea), specific to the class of ship (dreadnought as opposed to battleship), or just changed with the times. If anyone knows, I would be interested in learning the reason why.

For the Li’udoyed I am considering a blue-grey hull, black turrets and weapon mounts, white conning tower and a little bit of red trim (see attached picture). I have chosen to include wooden decks in a Beachwood tan.

Another thought occurred when looking at Russian battle ships. Instead of a sculpted human or animal figurehead Russian battleships usually had scrollwork and the Tzar’s symbol of the double headed eagle. I think such a figurehead would look excellent on the Li’udoyed.

Tell me what you think of the color scheme. I’d like to finalize it before printing out prototype pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Li'udoyed Land Dreadnought-color-profile.jpg   Li'udoyed Land Dreadnought-ru_alex_i_whole.jpg   Li'udoyed Land Dreadnought-ru_navarin_fact.jpg   Li'udoyed Land Dreadnought-ru_suvorov_top.jpg   Li'udoyed Land Dreadnought-ru_retvizan_fhead_tight.jpg  

Commodore, Sir A. R. Maxby, KCMG