PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
T1E1 U.S. Light Tank - 1/25

Hello,

I found very nice and interesting Perry's T1E1 U.S. Light Tank model and I started thinking to design model of this tank in 1:25 scale. I searched web for more information about it, for pictures and drawings. I found a few pictures, unfortunately with bad condition. I got also drawings from Stuart: A History of the American Light Tank.
After validating these materials I decided to design model of this small tank what I'm going to show you. Because I'm working on two other models I'll need some time to finalize it. And here I would like to ask you for two things. First, I would like to ask you to share with me your materials (pictures) of this tank or T1E2, T1E3 if you have something. I will be grateful for any pictures of wheels, tracks and rear part of this tank. And second, I would like to ask you to control me if I'm doing well all of details.
OK, let's start. In the first step I re-sized drawings to 1:25 scale and I setup them as you can see on next pictures. Draft shapes of tank's body and turret were simple. Next, I added fenders and fuel tanks.

Next part of this project I'll show tomorrow.

Regards,
Michal
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Hello,

Today I added some elements on tank's body and I finished turret.

Now is time for suspension.
Regards,
Michal
Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I really like the level of detail you are including Michal. It looks great.

~Douglas
Old 09-19-2010, 03:44 PM

Hi,
Today I added only idler wheels and I started drawing rest of suspension.

Regards,
Michal
Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 AM

Hello,

I added next a few details to my project. I added track support rollers and rear hatch-door. I added also several rivets to tank's hull.

Now it's time for most difficult part: tracks and drive wheels.

Regards,
Michal
Google Adsense
Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I am overjoyed to see you taking on this project, Michal. I hope you will make this model available when it is complete. I would love to try to build one to display in my office.

I have been struggling with Alberto's fine 1/48 version, but have had to take some time off for work. However, I have also become quite interested in U.S. Army mechanization of the 1920s and 1930s and have been doing some research. There are a large number of photos of the small Mechanized Force that existed in 1930 and 1931.

In the late 1920s, the U.S. Army leadership became interested in experimentation with mechanization and in 1928, Army Chief of Staff, General Charles P. Summerall, directed the temporary establishment of an Experimental Mechanized Force (EMF) at the tank school at Fort Meade, Maryland. The EMF was briefly reestablished in 1929 and in 1930, General Summerall directed the permanent establishment of a Mechanized Force at Fort Eustis, Virginia. The Mechanized Force existed from November 1930 to June 1931. It was commanded by Colonel Daniel Van Voorhis and composed of Company A, 1st Tank Regiment (6 French-built WWI Renault FT-17s; 5 U.S.-built Renault FT-17s; and 4 T1E1 light tanks) and an armored car troop of ten vehicles. The Mechanized Force was supported by the truck-mounted 34th Infantry Regiment (motorized) and the Air Corps Tactical School. In 1931, the new chief of staff, General Douglas MacArthur disbanded the Mechanized Force with the intention of introducing mechanization throughout the Army, but funds were not available.

During its brief life, the Mechanized Force was very active and there is a large collection of photographs in the Patton Museum Archives, including some very clear photos of T1E1s and other such vehicles. These include photos of Civil War veterans and the wives of the Mechanized Force officers (in bathing suits) posing next to the tanks.

If you were to contact the Museum, you might be able to obtain copies of some of the photos: General George Patton Museum Archives. Mechanized Force Photograph Collection. Index available from www.generalpatton.org/education/archive_m_n.asp

I am working on a summary of information on U.S. Army interwar mechanization (and hope soon to actually finish my 1/48 T1E1). Meanwhile, here are other on-line sources of information on T1E1 light tanks and interwar mechanization (I am sure that Charlie C and others can provide even more information):

AGF Board No. 2. Development of Armored Vehicles, Volume 1: Tanks; Volume 2: Armored cars, scout cars, and personnel carriers. Fort Knox, Kentucky, 1947, available from: www.merriam-press.com/developmentofarmored vehiclesvolume1tanks.aspx

“The Experimental Mechanized Force, Notes from 1st Battalion, 6th Field Artillery.” Field Artillery Journal, July-August 1928: 386-390. Available from http://sill-www.army. mil/firesbulletin/archives/index.html

Kirk, William. "Light Tanks." Tanks (Armored Warfare to 1946). Available from mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/UnitedStates/lighttanks/LightTanks.html
American Fighting Vehicle Database: afvdb.50megs.com/

Tank Destroyer Society: WWII Tank Destroyer Society

Tanks (Armored Warfare to 1946): www.tankhistory.com/

Landships (Through WWI): Landships II

U.S. Tank Development: pics.livejournal.com/fat_yankey/gallery/0001y0a6?page=2
United States' History - Unprepared for World War I: United States' History - World War II Vehicles, Tanks, and Airplanes

Don
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM

Michal,

This looks very exciting! Well done so far.

Cheers .. Dave
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM

Looks sweet, Michał. I can't wait to see more.
Happy to see your Type 2 Ka-mi in WAK's announcements:D

"None so blind as those that will not see"
Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The design is coming along nicely. Have you thought about doing the T1E2 as well? - it only differs in the turret design.

Don - have you thought about writing a book? British interwar tank development was documented in David Fletcher's "Armoured Force" book but afaik no one has tackled US tank development and philosophy. Hunnicut does to some extent but his writings are more about the technical aspects rather than the competing views on the use of tanks. It's passing strange that the British, who invented the tank, made a dog's breakfast out of the interwar development but the US seemed to have a logical development path to very useable vehicles at the start of WW2.

The T1E2 makes an appearance in this video - it's quite depressing - Old equipment being scrapped at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, United States.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
T1E1 U.S. Light Tank - 1/25-t1e2-01.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
U.S. Army Interwar Mechanization

Michal - Please forgive me for this diversion in your thread, but I'd like to answer Charlie's question.

Charlie - I think the development of mechanization in the U.S. Army is already well-enough covered that I don't believe there is anything new that I could cover in a book, although perhaps I could write a synthesis article for your website or Landships or some other venue. The desultory research I am currently doing is all a by-product of my interest in the models that Alberto has produced and my life-long amateur interest in military innovation in the interwar period. I intend to continue to poke along with this, and within the limits of my skills to build the relevant models. I am getting great pleasure out of the build threads and discussions taking place here in this Forum and will continue to throw in my little contributions when possible. [As an aside, I am very embarrassed to have fallen so far out of the hunt regarding the beta build of Alberto's Vickers and am very happy that you and Douglas have been able to keep the faith with him.]

I've been working on an email message to you, Douglas, Alberto, and other colleagues on the topic of U.S. Army interwar mechanization with the summary of what I have put together so far [including photos of a Mk. VIII charging through explosions and a U.S.-built Renault FT-17 being unloaded from a truck, both taken at the Tank School at Camp Meade, Maryland, in the very early 20s that came to light at a jumble sale in Carlisle].

Meanwhile, here are the items that I have so far found to be the most use in my amateur researches [The "AHEC" numbers are the call numbers of materials available at the U.S. Army Military History Institute Library at the Army Heritage and Education Center {AHEC} in Carlisle. They should work for any library using the LC catalog system: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC):

Gillie, Mildred Hanson. Forging the Thunderbolt: A History of the Development of the Armored Force. Harrisburg, PA: Military Service Publishing Company, 1947. AHEC UA29.G54 1947

Hendrix, John T. “The interwar army and mechanization: The American approach.” Journal of Strategic Studies, Volume 16, Issue 1, 1993: 75 – 108.

Hofmann, George F. and Donn A. Starry, eds. Camp Colt to Desert Storm: The History of U.S. Armored Forces. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 1999. AHEC UE160 .C35 1999

House, Jonathan M. Combined Arms Warfare in the Twentieth Century. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2001. AHEC U165.H68 2001

Hunnicutt, R. P. A History of the American Light Tank, Volume 1: Stuart. Novato, CA: Presidio Press, 1992. AHEC UD570.171.H84 1992

­­­________. Sherman: A History of the American Medium Tank. Navato, CA: Presidio Press, 1994. AHEC UG446.5 .H846

________. Bradley: A History of American Fighting and Support Vehicles. Navato, CA: Presidio Press, 1999. AHEC UG446.5.H844 1999

Johnson, David E. Fast Tanks and Heavy Bombers: Innovation in the U.S. Army, 1917-1945. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1998. AHEC UF503 .J65 1998

Nenninger, Timothy K. "Organizational Milestones in the Development of American Armor, 1920-1940." In George F. Hofmann and Donn A. Starry, eds., Camp Colt to Desert Storm: The History of U.S. Armored Forces. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 1999. q.v.

________. “The Development of American Armor, 1917-1940.” Master’s Thesis, University of Wisconsin, 1968. AHEC UG446.5.N4

Snyder, James M., ed. History of the Armored Force, Command and Center. Washington, DC: Historical Section, Army Ground Forces, 1946. AHEC D769.1.A423 no.27

Steadman, Kenneth A. The Evolution of the Tank in the U.S. Army. Fort Leavenworth, KS: Combat Studies Institute, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, 1981.

Stubbs, Mary Lee and Stanley Russell Connor. Armor-Cavalry: Part 1; Regular Army and Army Reserve. Army Lineage Series: CMH Pub 60-1: Armor-Cavalry. Washington, DC: U.S. Army Center for Military History, 1969. AHEC UA29.S82 1982

U.S. War Department, Office of the Chief of Ordnance. History of the Development of the Light Tank. July 10, 1929. File 470.8, OCI, Box 90, RG 177, National Archives and Records Administration.

Wilson, Dale. Treat ’Em Rough: The Birth of American Armor, 1917-20. Novato, CA: Presidio Press, 1989. AHEC D608.W54 1989

Prudens futuri

Don
Google Adsense