PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-21-2012, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks guys. Corey hope you are managing with the Chemo. Not easy. And I appreciate the kind comments. I'm way behind your level of design expertise yet, but I think I'm doing ok for a beginner.
Uyraell, thankyou and that's a great quote from your woodwork teacher! A good philosophy and ulitimately I'm designing these models because I want to build them, so as long as I'm happy that's all that really matters.
I am following the existing model fairly closely although I am changing the odd bit to match the drawings were I believe them more.

I have designed a very basic representation of the beam engine parts. It's not accurate but it's as far as I need to go for my purpose. If when I release this as a kit someone wants to do a better job then they have my blessing!!

Now just need to do a few doors I've forgotten then the paddlewheel. I want to make that out of strips of card rather than just a side drawing of a wheel. I think it will be a fairly simple design again though.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-beam.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-beam2.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Awesome walkers! They look great!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I agree with Corey, them is some fine looking walkers...can't wait to see what you do with the paddles!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Thankyou Corey, you're too kind. I think they may be a little too chunky so I might adjust thema bit at some point.

Well I've got a paddle designed. I think it's makeable and looks ok to me. Not complicated enough compared to the real things, but I think it's do????

But now it's time to put down the virtual pen and get some sleep!!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-paddles1.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-ph8.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-ph8b.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 AM

Crumbs is that the time....arrgh,,,well quick update.

I've shaped the rudder a bit. I've had a go at drawing out the deck planking. One disadvantage of drawing half a ship is that when you put the two halves together the planking matches up in the middle. Think I'll live with it though.

I've gone with the red paddles and I like the result. I thought about changing the superstructure to grey but have left it an off white at the moment.

Not finished but not too much more to do before unfolding.

Any thoughts, criticisms or suggestions????
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-colour1.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-colour2.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-colour3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
Boy, that looks good!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Don't it look great?

Maybe just a perspective thing, but the foremast looks a bit tall....should be a tab shorter than the mainmast, me thinks.

By the way, the comment about the middle deck planking is not noticeable at all....

Really, superb work!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks guys. It looks a lot better with some colour and i thought a virtula water base would set it off nicely.
The masts. I think the drawings have both at a similar height, but i'll have to check. I've only just chucked a couple of tapered cylinders on to get a feel of masts as i'll be using wood etc for my models.

Still got a few bits to finish off before i can unfold it and then will finish off artwork in psp. I'm just wondering about paddlewheel box decoration. Every drawing is different. Does anyone have h reference material about this? Also are names ever painted on these ships?
She looks kinda bare without any guns. So i think i might invest an evening designing some as deck decoration. Kinda against my work priority but sometimes you've just gotta do these things!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Sorry about typos. Am using phone so more than normal!!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
I suggest you keep the paddle boxes off white, it looks good that way. Especially with the red paddles!
Google Adsense