PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-23-2012, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Why, oh why, oh why did I say I'd design some 3d artillery.
Started with a 9" Dahlgren as found a profile drawing with some dimensions..........
Many, many, MANY hours later I have ALMOST finished the barrel!!!

Off to work now though. Here are a couple of pics in a grey so you can see the curves. Have included a "show hidden geometry one" for the sketchup designers out there!!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-dh1.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-dh2.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-dh3.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-dh4.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Sorry I am late again. Here is the 9 inch gun. I have all the parts broke down ready to go. but it looks like you already are on the way to having one done yourself. I also have a Brookes rifle on a pivot if you need it.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-css-palometto-state-new-mod-6.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
You guys do such impression design work, I can only hope that someday I can do something a tenth as good as you do! Really nice work!!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM

Thanks Corey, your one looks like it is makeable. Mine is just for show at the moment. I'm hoping the Brookes and Parrot barrels will be simpler as the banding hides the curves.
The carriages should be relatively straightforward compared to the barrel. I think it was harder as I'm designing on scale. Sketchup seems to do some odd things when the measurements are small.
I have had to learn to use some new plugins to solve issues so it's worth the effort. I also worked out that I could make circles less than 0.5mm diameter. All I have to do is make one at 0.5mm or more then use offset to draw a nice small one. Ideal for representing parts that will be replaced by wire or for drawing small circles on parts.

Thanks Jim, not sure I'm at the 'immpressive' stage yet as I'm still a beginner and learning. You could do just as well I'm sure!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Looking very good indeed thus far Sporticus my friend.
Seeing the Dahlgren barrel with the geometry lines makes me realise how complex the design process actually is.

The paddles certainly look to be comfortably buildable, and the paddle boxes look good in off-white. As to decoration of the paddle boxes, the few pictures I have seen of vessels in service during the ACW suggest the boxes were often over-clad in rough-cut timber, and that often painted in coal-tar, which could vary in colour from off-white to black. The few pictures I have seen of such vessels in military service often show the paddle boxes undecorated.

Kind and Respectful Regards Sporticus my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the input Uyraell. I'm leaning towards putting some of the decoration as seen in paintings on the ships and using this as one of the ways to differentiate them. I'm hoping someone might have some info tucked away in a book somewhere.

I've had decided that designing is addictive. I have said that I am probably only using the barrel for guns to add to the 3d models for 'show', however, I just realised the hole through the end of the barrel for rope is not straight on my model. I was considering altering it until I realised how pointless this would be!!

I like the picture with the construction lines. It has strange beauty to it and it shows what someone can relatively easily achive with sketchup with just a bit of time and effort.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 AM

I doubt if the broadside guns were 9" Dahlgrens, but it's the only gun I've done so far!

Hmm I've just noticed the third phot has a weird cutaway effect. This is a problem I have on my laptop. I think that the grpahics card part has trouble when the models get detailed. It is a real pain when I'm designing as parts of the model disappear and I have to try flipping views to see the bits I'm working on. Maybe I should ask father Christmas for a laptop from this decade?
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-9inch-dahlgren.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-business-end.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-four.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Well, that is coming along quite well!

What did you use as an introduction or guide in using sketchup to get to this point? It's tempting me to spend some time to try doing something similar, but I just don't know how to get started and what to use as an explanatory guide. Any suggestions you might have based upon your experience thus far would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
That weird cut a way will quit if you hit the full view button on your tool bar then you will need to re-zoom. Happens a lot to me too. An odd effect but fixable.
CT
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 PM

Cheers Cory, glad it's not only me! Yes, I use the various fixed view buttoons (top/ side etc. to try and resolve it. Seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes!!

Jim, Well I read Corey's excellent post on here for designing the Texas. Appart from that the only thing I've looked at are the official sketchup instructional videos. These give you the basics. I find I have to go back to them if I have something I can't do as it's not possible to take it all in in first viewing.

I find that there are always little 'problems' and it's never quite as simple as it looks!
But have a go. The first stage is to pick something, preferably simple and see how you get on. The program has lots of quirks, like front and back faces, that cause issues but with practice you learn how to deal with things. You can do everything with the basic tools, however, there are great free plugins that make things easier and help with curved items.
To my mind it's as close to 3d drawing and as intuiative as any 3d program can be.
I'm sure you can do it!! If you have a go and get stuck then I'm sure one of us can help.
Google Adsense