PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.

I knwo I haven't finished the Teaser or the Schneider 1909 yet, but I still want to start this design!

I've just been looking through the various drawings of the ships and there are huuuuuge differences in them. I have put aside the clearly inacurate ones and am left with a few better ones.

However, I'm still unsure of the superstructure of the ships.
The first picture below appearst to be an actual photo of the PH when it was the Yorktown. This photo is very similar to the second image and I think maybe the second image of the ship with guns is based on the first.

However there are two things I have noticed that are in the first and not the second. The front of the ship has a raised piece and there is clearly superstructure in front of the paddle wheel boxes almost up to the masts.
Could this have been removed when it was taken over by the navy, or is just missing from sketches?

The third picture is of the model in the Hampton Roads museum. I would have liked to have thought this is accurate, but who knows?

I have other drawings but none of them really help as they just muddy the water.

If I'm right and the first picture is a photo then would the supersturcture have been taken down? Is this likely?

Any thought from naval experts appreciated.!!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-ph.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-patrick-henry.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-patirkv-henry-5.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Actually, studying the first picture there does appear to be superstructure at the back as well and only railings. Could these all be cabins which were removed and change to deck and then the deck walls around the edge (sorry don't know the nautical term) added to make the ship into the warship. I suppose the bit at the bow could also have been removed so as to give a clear view for the front gun.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Well I've started! I think the hull is going to take a while. Unofrtunately looking at the screen and thinking "I just need to move that straight face and wrap it around that curve whilst moving that bit" doesn't work. It takes lotsof patience and trial and error to work out how to do it. The move and rotate tools are very powerful in sketchup but take some practice to get the results you want!

Well I've sort of finished the stern of the ship. I may tweak it a bit. I want to keep it fairly simple so it can be built, but I'm still trying to respresent her curves. The way the keel part attaches is simplified butI think it will be ok.

I'm not sure if I should introduce a slope on the sides or keep them vertical. Vertical is simpler and in small scales will be ok. Ultimately I am designing these models for me to build and wargame with, so I guess keep it simple!!

Now onto the bow but that will have to wait till later!!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-stern.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Woohoo!! After much fettling I eventually managed the bow and then quickly (?) rustled up the rail(?) around the edge. Have just added the sticky out bits for the paddles and the paddle boxes. I think that's the hardest parts done? Now just adding the superstructure and details. Without any better evidence I will copy a lot of what is on the Hampton Roads museum model. Well a simplified version anyway!!

Unfortunately I have to go back to work at 'stupic o'clock' tommorrow morning and have most of my spare time this week already booked, but I'm hoping to do the odd hour everynow and then.

Anyway, I'm pleased to have this stage done. I'm pretty happy with the hull shape. I think it is a good compromise between accuracy and makeability....if that's a word....!!

Hmm...just had a thought. I think I might do the skeleton supports for the hull next whilst the deck is nice and clear. I might even try unfolding a copy to make sure it will work before I do anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-double.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM

Just realised that when I was laying out the ship I took the beam to be the width of the hull. I didn't consider the extra width of the paddleboxes. I'm sure that this is right now I've finished her, but I'm glad it was. I love it when things come right more by accident than design!!

And I finally worked out that the bit I meant is called the bulwark (and the rail) !!
Google Adsense
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Hmm....getting up for work in the morning may be a little tricky.....

After much studying of all the images I can conclude that none of them agree on the size or position of the superstructure, cannon holes, or anything else including the funnel position and angle. Well I guess I'll just make it as I see fit!!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-top.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-side.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-perspective1.jpg   CSS Patrick Henry and Jamestown.-perspective2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Making wonderful headway!

Gonna be a nice looking ship, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks Jim, A little ecouragement always helps with the motivation. Making headway sounds very nautical so must be doing something right!!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
Another one for the CS Navy! It's good to see your progress.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 AM

Well as i will be using the model for sister ships the jamestown and the patrick henry, technically it will be two more!!
Google Adsense