PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style

I've started up a non-cad design of the Ryan B1, shows lots of similarity to the Spirit, but is a distict design in many ways. The original Mahoney-Ryan company did not survive the depression, but still I look at this plane and it seems more advanced in many ways than it's build date. Ryan made several changes to the B and later included Pratt and Whitney Wasp powered designs, but this is earlier and the engine is intended to be a Wright 7 cyl radial. The struts will have to be well explained by directions so that can be made on floats, which is the intent, to make a EDO float of about 1930 design, before water rudders and has a different float shape this early. Edo had a patent on the compound shape of the float hull, so was the primary manufacturer of floats for several years, based in New York City with a ramp from the plant to test fly aircraft installations to certify the aircraft for a particular float, and kept up the work in this regard during WWII by designing floats for the Kingfisher, various Grummans and even had a contract for floats for the C-47, which were so huge to require separate facility to install, and in the 1980's at least one C-47 was still flyable on floats...
Attached Thumbnails
Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style-img_0380.jpg   Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style-img_0381.jpg   Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style-img_0382.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
lovely airplane and gorgeous model, Glen!

Wyvern
Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
I like it. I think the Brougham led to several similar designs, like the Stinson Detroiter and the Travel Air 6000. I'll be following along.
Wayne
Old 06-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
What a beautiful original aircraft, and fine model of it! Lovely, indeed. - Leif
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Wyvern, wag and Leif, appreciated, I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thought it looked like a cool aircraft. It isn't as fetching on gear as the resemblance to the Spirit is more obvious, but still like the method of spreading weight to the gear that some designers did in the era, Bellanca, Curtis and others....The Beech Staggerwing was also fitted with floats of slightly larger size, scale on this is 1/48 A cabin Waco was fitted with retracting gear floats, I think a great time for aircraft development prewar.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 AM

B-build of "Miss Maxwell House" that participated in the 1927 National Air Race...to show the wheeled version of this plane, although I originally had the float version in mind to inspire the work of designing this model...sounds like Chip is interested in this so hopefully will be avail on FG
Attached Thumbnails
Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style-img_0006.jpg   Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style-img_0009.jpg   Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style-exploded-view.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I missed the take off on this fascinating design and build, Glen.

It's a beautiful model of a good-looking and historic airplane.

One of my many languishing project is to complete the Peter Zorn Spirit (on hold since 2009!). When I was actively working on the model, I acquired all the Spirits that I could, as well as gathering info (Leif's photo essay thread was most helpful). If I every resume the project, I would love to try my hand at your Brougham, too. But I'm not too sanguine about this, since time keeps passing and unbuilt models keep accumulating.

Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing what you do with the Brougham in its various permutations.

Don
Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 PM

Hi Don! Yes I recall you showing some pics of that classic model, mine would be rather simple in comparison, but the similarities of the aircraft can't be denied...thanks for the kind words on this one it is really an advanced aircraft in some ways with high wing monoplane design and enclosed cabin, on floats appears even more so to me..probably with the reliability of engines about then (some similar engines flying today) seems quite a modern craft for 1927
Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
What sleek lines - it is beautiful. And the model captures it so well in that 3/4 rearview. - L
Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Very kind of you Leif, it is in FG style and should be an easy build, but to clarify struts drew up a couple diagrams do you think this is explanitory?
Attached Thumbnails
Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style-float-strut-view.jpg   Ryan Brougham, 1928 fg style-forwardstrutfloat.jpg