PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
USS Lexington

Well, my next design will be the timberclad civil war steamer the USS Lexington.

I want to design this to enable me to build the mississippi fleet alongside the Cairo class that will hopefully be released soon by fishbait. I'm also hope that the magnificient CT Ertz will be able to release his USS Tyler at about the same time!

I have found it interesting how little we know of many of these ships considering how much is known of the land side of the conflict. When I first became interested I assumed that there would be full 3 sided plans of all ships available. Well, with this ship there is only one decent photo available as far as I am aware and several sketches based on that photo. There is also one with it in the background, but this doesn't add much.

I've yet to decide if limited sources is better or worse!

I won't have much time to work on this initially but will keep you posted with progress! It's been a while since I've used sketchup and I feela bit rusty allready!!
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 AM

I've started so I'll finish........

Well made a start. By sheer fluke I ended up spotting the length and breath were completely wrong and had to adjust them! Not sure what I did but I'm glad I found it early on. I think it was actually something to do with sketchup converting mm to inches incorrectly, but I've fixed it!

I'm having to use guestimates and lots of rough maths to design her and of course interpret the one (well one decent) photo of her. The various sketches are all based on this photo and have been interpreted differently by different people.

I am happy for people to chip in with ideas and thoughts as always!!

USS Lexington-double.jpg
Can you tell what it is yet!!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 AM

Going to 'keep a weather eye' on this build!

http://www.scv265.com

Last edited by Rikhardr; 09-14-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Make image smaller
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM

A bit more done. Starting to look something like her.
These three images are in parrallel projection view not perspective view
USS Lexington-v4a.jpg
USS Lexington-v4b.jpg
USS Lexington-v4.jpg
and finally a copy of 'that' photo as a comparison!
Attached Thumbnails
USS Lexington-h55322.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
AWW Man, I saw the USS Lexington as the title and was hoping you were going to design the air craft carrier Lexington CV-16. Your design is looking good, can't wait to see more.
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
OK, your shaming me. Been working on my timberclad USS Tyler for years now and have got three of them done, all wrong in some way or another. Back to the sketch up. Your boat is looking really good. If you are doing it in 1/250 scale and wish to borrow my cannon design go right ahead. I know you do not do much with guns. You may also use my boats and davits if they work. Using the scale button you can stretch them or shrink them to fit your placement. This way you can have a full kit ready. Looking forward to it. I just need more build time!
CT
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
AWW Man, I saw the USS Lexington as the title and was hoping you were going to design the air craft carrier Lexington CV-16. Your design is looking good, can't wait to see more.
I suppose I should have titled the thread more specificaly and added "timberclad" or "civil war ship". I don't think I can change it now...unless someone knows a way to alter the title?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Thanks Corey. I still have a long way to go before I can catch up with your productvity!

Three years....crumbs!...guess you keep getting 'stuck' on that one. I'm kinda hoping me doing this one will inspire you the get the Tyler finished as I'd really like to build that one as well!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Wow. I stumbled across this page USS Lexington on the Red River and it got me thinking. I have seen photos before of mislabelled ship photos. How do we know when a photo is definitely of a particular ship? If we are comparing photos with one that we believe is a ship, what if the original photo is wrong?
I believe that he is right and wrong. I agree it's not the Tyler. As i understand it the crucial thing about the Lexington is the forward position of the funnels. If that fact (?) is correct then the photo I have already shown here is the Lexington. So what about his theory? Well I reckon his ship must be the Conestoga.
There are difference to the 'accpeted' picture of the Lexington.
It seems of similar construction to the Tyler and a bit longer in length which matches her description. She was said to be armed with four guns and that would explain the lack of gunports on the top deck. She 'did' take part in the Red river expedition.

Well if I'm right then that means the picture of the Conestoga on wikipedia and the naval historical site is wrong and is actually the Tyler! I thought it was the Tyler when I first saw it and now I look at it more I think it is.

Very confusing stuff. Just a few photos can send what's accepted out the window. In the link I gave the guy is convinced it is the Lexington but I am equally convinced it is actually the Conestoga.

So, what does this actually mean. Well IF I'm right it means we still only have one decent photo of the Lexington, but we now have a good photo of the other side of the Tyler and we have a couple of photos of the Conestoga!

I think I will put together a page to show you all what I mean...as I don;t think it makes much sense otherwise!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM

This is my interpretation of which ship is which!

Lexington
USS Lexington-h55322.jpg
USS Lexington-h53870.jpg(in background)

Conestoga
USS Lexington-conestoga1.jpg
USS Lexington-conestoga2.jpg
USS Lexington-conestoga3.jpg

Tyler
USS Lexington-h49975.jpg
USS Lexington-h49976.jpg
USS Lexington-h55321.jpg

Opinions welcome!