PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
By no means exact, and as you say probably varies with the installed power plant, but this locates the mistake.
It's many a day I've travelled a hundred miles or more but a tech drawing with nary an error I never did see.
Attached Thumbnails
Republic RC-3 Seabee-b-up-jpg.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Don Boose - Aircraft Detective!...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I am clearly out of my league here. The only other deviation that I can see -- and it is very slight -- is that the tail boom on the Matt drawing is a bit thicker than it is in your rendering.

I will await the revelation of the actual answer.

Don
Hi Don,

Congratulations you found the error! It's not as slight as you might think. In the photograph below the green line shows the intersection of the tail boom with the fuselage. Note that the angle is directly over the hull step.

The Paul Matt drawing has the interection angle [drawn in red] well forward of the hull step. Note that the outboard pontoon hides the intersection.

+Gil
Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
In all honesty, I do not think I can be given credit for a correct answer. I missed the misalignment of the tailboom-fuselage angle with the step; but I certainly enjoyed trying to figure out the error, and reading all the other well-informed speculations.

The Seabee is such a spendidly-odd looking aircraft -- one of the emblems of 1950s aviation in my mind -- and your historical research and graphics are so well done that this thread is a real pleasure (taken this morning with my coffee).

I look forward to the rest of the project with the assurance that there is much more to be learned.

And what a varied trio of aircraft Republic was producing at the end of the war: Rainbow, Thunderbolt, and Seabee.

Don
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 PM

Paul Matt has Left the Building...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
In all honesty, I do not think I can be given credit for a correct answer. I missed the misalignment of the tailboom-fuselage angle with the step; but I certainly enjoyed trying to figure out the error, and reading all the other well-informed speculations.

The Seabee is such a spendidly-odd looking aircraft -- one of the emblems of 1950s aviation in my mind -- and your historical research and graphics are so well done that this thread is a real pleasure (taken this morning with my coffee).

I look forward to the rest of the project with the assurance that there is much more to be learned.

And what a varied trio of aircraft Republic was producing at the end of the war: Rainbow, Thunderbolt, and Seabee.

Don
Don,

You're only too modest. I'm using this as one of many examples of verifying a design. One more is shown below. As I work through "accuratizing" the design each and every section and major structural line is closely examined and changes are made based on the discovery process.

The photograph shows the rear frame of the fuselage tail. Inset is a cutout from Paul Matt's drawings. I've overdrawn the frame line on the photograph and approximated it on the Paul Matt drawing...,

So it goes...,

+Gil

Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Tail First?...,

A little progress.

High detail stiffeners really add to the render time. As usual the exercise of getting to this point has allowed Rhino to teach me a few more nifty tricks. Rhino is an amazing piece of software - sculpting with Nurbs...,

+Gil

Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 PM

A beautiful image.

Don
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Republic Seabee RC-3 Archive Manuals Service Parts Maintenance archive manuals | eBay

Gil, purely out of interest, I've ordered one of these, but thought I'd pop it up here in case you are interested in getting one too.

It's coming from UK, so I should get mine quite fast. It might even be delivered by download. I'll let you know what it makes available.

Johnny.

PS: It's worth a look round his eBay shop too ... lots of rare aircraft manuals and plans on offer.

Last edited by JohnM; 10-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 AM

Paul Matt has Left the State...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Republic Seabee RC-3 Archive Manuals Service Parts Maintenance archive manuals | eBay

Gil, purely out of interest, I've ordered one of these, but thought I'd pop it up here in case you are interested in getting one too.

It's coming from UK, so I should get mine quite fast. It might even be delivered by download. I'll let you know what it makes available.

Johnny.

PS: It's worth a look round his eBay shop too ... lots of rare aircraft manuals and plans on offer.
Hi Johnny,

More information is better information especially if it's first hand from the manufacturer. I need a little more information on internal structural elements in the cabin area.

Don, it's a cross between illustration and art. Once you start into this stuff it is difficult not to do it...,

I've made progress but from the looks of the rendered image below it doesn't look all that impressive. I have to agree but for one point - it's a lot more accurate than anything I have parading as reference drawings. This only occurred after an immense amount of tweedling and learning a few new Rhino tricks.

The vertical stabilizer to fuselage junction still doesn't look quite right but I'm saving messing around with that till after the horizontal stabilizer and elevator are placed [it hides most of the vertical stab from the fuselage tail boom].

More as it happens...,

+Gil

Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 AM

Your latest graphic really has the true look of the Seabee, and it is beautiful to look at.

Don
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Hi Johnny,
More information is better information especially if it's first hand from the manufacturer. I need a little more information on internal structural elements in the cabin area.
+Gil

I'll let you know what's on the CD when it arrives Gil. Then you can let me know what you want forwarded.

You know, at my low skills level, to me this thread is like peeping over the fence at a Rolls Royce factory (bin there. Done that). All this digital design work is waaaaay over my head. but, purely out of a huge interest in the Seabee, I am thoroughly enjoying following it. So much skill and dedication is on display here, and I'm learning all the time. I'm patiently waiting in anticipation for the time that all these beautiful 3D curves get transposed into the 2D reality of paper though.

I made a start on the James Hairston model from Zealot (Thank you Leif), but am quite disapointed by the lack of curvature on the front. Another member has sent me a re-drawn, recoloured, version (Thank you Jose) that looks to have addressed this issue (and a few others). It even has an interior , but I have yet to start on this one.

Johnny.
Google Adsense