PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
First Men To The Moon Rocket

This is a spinoff from my Mars Lander project. I found a number of references for it while looking for more information on the Mars mission ships. It's from a book written in 1960 by Dr. Werner Von Braun, which tells the fictional story of a manned mission to the moon. I guess I could have called this thread "To The Moon; In 1960!"

I had just recently built the 1/100 "Saturn Shuttle", and originally started to design the first and second stages to fit that. The project changed course, and this model was the result.The pictured are of the first, full-sized (1/100) uncoloured prototype. Big! The coloured build will be in a reduced scale.

The first stage engine bell section isn't glued in yet, in case I decide to change it/add more detail to that area (again).

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr1_2.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr2.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr3.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr4.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr5.jpg  

First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr6.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr7.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr8.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-vbmr1c.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for your efforts on this early concept for manned lunar flight! I remember the old Collier's Magazine serialized most of Von Braun's book with beautiful paintings of the space vehicles. I look forward to your future efforts!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
You might want to check this site out.
Spacecraft Paper Models - RETRO ROCKETS

Dan Has done some excellent work in this area.

SFX
Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Just looking over some old projects. If I were to continue with this one, what scale would anyone like to see it in? As shown here, in 1/100, not including the nose probe on the lander, the rocket stands over 32" (81cm)tall.

Scott K.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.20 GB
1/100 scale sounds good to me.
Google Adsense
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
1/100 in A4 works for me as it would scale up nicely to 1/72 on A3...in either scale it would look great...
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 PM

The same size, or bigger? And here I was, thinking smaller. I'll definitely need a beta builder, once I get the parts numbered, coloured, and instructions made. I don't have room for another one this big. The bottom of the first stage is a bit over 6"/15cm, and measured across the fins, its 11.25"/28.58cm.

In either case, I'm glad to see there's still some interest. I'll be getting back to it soon.Meanwhile, here's a snap of part of the layout. I still need to finish developing the internal stage details, nozzles, and lunar lander landing legs.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
First Men To The Moon Rocket-moon-rocket-1.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.65 MB
Hi Scott - i find this great!
Iīve always been fascinated by the early thoughts of manned space.
If you donīt mind - i would like to volunteer for beta-building this beauty !

kind regards,
Wolfgang
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Ok, Wolfgang, although it will be a while before its ready. PM me your email address.

Scott K.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM

Three years later, another post. I've been bouncing around on several old projects lately. Thinking about making this one a freebie in 1/300 "Scissors and Planes Scale". Here's what it looks like next to a same-scale A300. Not real sarisfied with the color scheme shown above, but that's from the only color illustrations I've ever seen it done in. Any suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
First Men To The Moon Rocket-img_7785.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-img_7786.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-img_7788.jpg   First Men To The Moon Rocket-img_7790.jpg