PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 01-14-2014, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful!

Don
Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.10 GB
This is absolutely remarkable! Would you consider marking it as the "Swoose" or "Mary Ann" from AIR FORCE? Probably not since I think they were both D models.

Dave
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparral2d View Post
This is absolutely remarkable! Would you consider marking it as the "Swoose" or "Mary Ann" from AIR FORCE? Probably not since I think they were both D models.

Dave

I think John had mentioned that he was hoping to design the entire B-17 series from A to G. I might be wrong but I think that's his intent.

So you might get lucky. We might all get lucky;-)

Swampfox
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
“The Swoose” is definitely on the to-do list. It being to only surviving “shark fin” how could I not do it? I’d like to do two versions, one as a bomber and the other as a personnel transport. The only visual difference between the B-17C and B-17D was the addition of cowl flaps. I’m a huge classic film fan so “Mary Ann” is also on the list. The aircraft playing “Mary Ann” was actually a B-17B that had been updated to a B-17C configuration. Here is a link to an interesting discussion on the Aero Vintage forum about the B-17s used in “AIRFORCE”.

http://www.aerovintage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=500

Swampfox is correct, my plan is to eventually do models representing the entire B-17 series.

Here are a couple of photos of actual white liveries I am looking forward to doing.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 AM

Here is a strange coincidence as we were just discussing this subject.

This article on the B-17B to B-17C/D upgrades was just posted on the Aero Vintage forum today.

http://www.aerovintage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4321
Google Adsense
Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Just to add to the discussion of variations on B-17s, some images (still and moving) exist of B-17s captured by the Japanese:

JAPANESE Captured B-17 Photos!

B17 - YouTube

Don
Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Just to add to the discussion of variations on B-17s, some images (still and moving) exist of B-17s captured by the Japanese:

JAPANESE Captured B-17 Photos!

B17 - YouTube

Don
Hi Don, interesting images at those links. I'm thinking that the stills are probably real, but that YouTube video just doesn't quite look right.

The encounter with the B-17 may be genuine, but the shoot down and the crash into the water look staged to me. The reflections of the 17 in the water just before the crash and the fact that the B-17 did not appear to break up when it hit the water at such a steep angle lead me to believe that it's staged with a model.

This is just my first impression of the video and am curious to hear from others.

Swampfox
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.68 GB
I am reading "A higher call" now.
A Christmas Story, But Not by Charles Dickens | TIME.com

A model of this B-17 would be nice to remember this brave action of the German Ace Franz Stigler.

A repaint of his Messerschmitt would be a nice bonus .

P.S. John Dell, how is the B-24 I-RAIN going?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Thanks Don for the link to the of photos of B-17s captured by the Japanese. I have been planning to do these B-17s and that link has a lot of photos I have not seen before. The cartoon character nose art pictures are particularly interesting and useful. Many thanks!

And that is a curious piece of film. It looks like a combination of actual aircraft and models. I wonder if the B-17 is one of the captured examples or is it from U.S film footage that the Japanese got a hold of.

Swampfox’s comment about the B-17 “crashing” into the water reminds me of the scene at the end of “AIRFORCE” where “Mary Ann” is shown ditching. You will notice that “Mary Ann” suddenly grows a big tail!

The B-17F, "Ye Olde Pub" from the Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler incident would be nice to do. If I did it (which I would like to) I’d also want to include Stigler’s Bf 109.

I still want to do the B-24 I-RAIN as well as its former incarnation, “Blonde Bomber II”. Unfortunately it will have to wait until I get some B-17s under my belt.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dell View Post
Thanks Don for the link to the of photos of B-17s captured by the Japanese. I have been planning to do these B-17s and that link has a lot of photos I have not seen before. The cartoon character nose art pictures are particularly interesting and useful. Many thanks!

And that is a curious piece of film. It looks like a combination of actual aircraft and models. I wonder if the B-17 is one of the captured examples or is it from U.S film footage that the Japanese got a hold of.

Swampfox’s comment about the B-17 “crashing” into the water reminds me of the scene at the end of “AIRFORCE” where “Mary Ann” is shown ditching. You will notice that “Mary Ann” suddenly grows a big tail!

The B-17F, "Ye Olde Pub" from the Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler incident would be nice to do. If I did it (which I would like to) I’d also want to include Stigler’s Bf 109.

I still want to do the B-24 I-RAIN as well as its former incarnation, “Blonde Bomber II”. Unfortunately it will have to wait until I get some B-17s under my belt.
Not sure if y'all realize this, but there are some serious concerns about the accuracy of the Stigler story...
Google Adsense