PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 08-23-2016, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dell View Post
It looks like the Japanese B-17E is finally available at Ecardmodels. Check it out…

https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-48-boeing-b-17e-flying-fortress-captured-paper-model.html

The Japanese captured and tested three B-17s, two “E”s and a “D”. I’m planning to do a kit of the “D” too.

The next kit, a B-17F is done. I just have to take some photos of the built kit with some of the extras it comes with, then off it goes to Ecardmodels. Another B-17F will shortly follow. A B-17G is after that.
John....sorry...I forgot to post up the release of the B-17 back in July in this thread ( 2016 Ecardmodels New Kit Releases Thread )when Dave compiled the "Designer Spotlight" featuring your models....including the Japanese B-17 linked above.

For those curious and if not yet seen....here is the Designer Spotlight featuring John Dell and a selection of his great kits available on Ecardmodels.

https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.ph...r-designs.html
Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
3Turner, That’s alright, I figured you had your hands full with all of the Scissors & Planes releases. Those are nice kits by the way. I also admire his productivity.

missileer, Yes, I have considered doing the XB-15 (as well as the Boeing 247, XB-19 etc.). I’m not sure if my engineering skills are up to it. That and my lack of time. I’ve been thinking it would be nice to find someone to work with who could do the engineering aspect of the kits while I did the textures. That is what I did years ago when I worked on the Fiddlers Green Ju52/3m. Chauncey Green did design of the model and I did the paint schemes and textures, as well as a few tweaks here and there. I really liked this set up as it also opened up time for me to design an Opel Blitz truck to go with the Ju52. I did something similar with ScottK and the Stratoliner. With that I was able to do the neat little extras like the boarding stairs and such. Anybody interested?

Don, I just want to give a Texvanwinkle a heads up that I want to add you to our email chain, then I’ll forward you our discussion up to this point and then add you to the continuing conversation. Last night he sent me some nice reference material on the nose gun and camera layouts.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
I was hoping my engineering skills were up to doing the XB-15, but so far my mani problem has been time. I just counted the number of files in my main CAD directory; over 300 drawings there alone, not counting the ones in their own folders in my design directory. Too many different subjects, so little time to actually work on them. Below is a screenshot of the bare bones start I have on the XB-15. Seems "easy" enough, structurally almost a scale-up of the shark fin B-17 combined with the Model 314's wing. I'll try to get back to it soon, but I still have to work out the bugs that keep popping up on my B-32. Want 'em both about equally bad, not to mention the XB-19 as well. I haven't done more than gather some reference material on that one yet.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-xb-15-screenshot.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Wow! Those are both excellent Models!

If I may... another veteran of the early Pacific War was "The Swoose"...

Ugly, isn't she? And this is in B & W...

She's the only Shark fin Fortress in existence, and she's in the Restoration bay of the National Museum of the Air Force. Here's her story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swoose

LBJ rode in her once, and a famous American stage, screen & TV actress was named after her.

John's Model would be Ideal for 'Old Betsy"!

Alan
Old 08-24-2016, 11:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Swoosie Kurtz , of course...
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2016, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Here is a nice Kodachrome of the XB-15. The Boeing 314 Clipper shared that same massive wing. Though only one was built, it was painted in several interesting paint schemes throughout its career.

To do the B-17D I just have to add cowl flaps to my B-17C. I have a very nice series of photos of the “Swoose” showing off her extremely weathered camouflage paint. This model is going to be a fun weathering challenge. I also plan to do her striped of paint and cleaned up as when she appeared as a personnel transport. There was also a 15th Air Force B-17G named after “The Swoose” I’d like to do. I have a nice photo of Margo Kurtz, Swoose’s mother, christening this B-17G. Speaking of Swoosie, I hope she is there when the restored “Swoose” is unveiled.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
Hey John Dell I will be getting the factory blueprints for the B-17 soon. When I do ill let you know. incase it helps.

Shane
Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
In the 1960s, I read an article about a B-17 that was used as a test base for new bomber engines. They had removed the greenhouse for the navigator and extended the nose a bit to accommodate a 5th engine! It was a strange looking beast. It was the same article that got me interested in the Hybrid B-17/B-24. At the time, I had planned to modify a plastic B-17 kit as soon as I finished the Hybrid. When I didn't like how the hybrid nose turned out, I scrubbed the follow-on project.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good news, missileer! Now you can build that hybrid B-17/B-24 in paper. And as is the case with all of John Dell's bombers, the kit is beautifully engineered and all the parts fit perfectly. https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.ph...per-model.html

Don
Old 08-27-2016, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Don,

As a matter of fact, I just acquired that kit a few days ago. I had to wait for the hobby budget to kick in.
Google Adsense