PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 09-14-2016, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
As a totally trivial aside, the first film shown in 1939 at the then-brand-new Carlisle Theater (known as the Comerford in those days) was Deanna Durbin's Three Smart Girls Grow Up. I wonder if Jay Zeamer saw that film here in Carlisle.

The theater is still here and is still a functioning theater for films, plays, and other shows. History – Carlisle Theatre

Don
Old 09-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
This has been a amazing trip with the build of this model. I'm blown away at the amount of information you gentlemen have gathered on this beautiful bird. Over the top excellent. Thank you very much. Almost finish with my X-Wing. Not sure what's next other then a few birds I was working on. This B-17 is really something. wc
Old 09-16-2016, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Don, I wonder if any of Jay Zeamer’s family still lives in the Carlisle area?

Thanks Wad Cutter. This obsession gives me an excuse to buy books.

I never heard anything back from the Deanna Durbin Devotees. But I think I was able to decipher the text of the cartoon. For some reason the picture looked a little clearer on my iPad. Below is my first rough draft of the “Strato-Sam” cartoon. Now I have to figure out the colors.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:59 AM

Well, I finally got “Tinker Toy” all sorted out. I just sent the files to Ecardmodels today. Hopefully it will be available shortly. Below is a photo of my final build. Since this aircraft seemed to be the B-17 equivalent of Steven King’s “Christine”, Halloween seems to be an appropriate release time.

The next release will be the 305th Bomb Group B-17G “Flak Eater”. I should have this all wrapped up in the few weeks. Definitely in time for Thanksgiving. Below is a photo of a fuselage test build. Note how the national insignia had to be re-arranged to accommodate the staggered waist gun windows on the later B-17Gs. This was a modification that first appeared on the YB-40.

I’m starting another B-17G (finally one with a Cheyenne tail turret) and I’m pretty much done with the research on the famous B-17E “Old 666/Lucy”. So I’ll be starting the artwork for it. I also have a couple of other ideas I’m tinkering around with.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
Old 666! I have been waiting for this one for a long time.
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2016, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Pretty sweet John. When Chris passes it over to the Dropbox, I'll put it up in the store this afternoon.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
Hey John how bout a Drop Top B-17. was one of the ones used in the Remote Control flying bomb test lol. heres a link with a lil bit of info. 1/72 Revell B-17F Aphrodite Drone Conversion by Guy King and another in depth link. 1/72 Academy B-17F to BQ-7 conversion by Peter Kormos
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-droptop.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-drop-top2.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-drop-top3.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-grem-gus..jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-gremlin-gus-second-b-17g-8-12-1943.jpg  

B-17 Flying Fortress-06.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-a076e57aee11bc9bf4cb0daf99a90e3c120d53d0.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-01.jpg  

Last edited by thepaperguy; 10-19-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice pics Shane. Very interesting links too. Never heard of this variation before. I guess the more you dig the more you find. Keep digging!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 AM

A lot of people have been expressing an interest in “Old 666”. I’ve been working with someone who has spent a great deal of time researching this aircraft and crew. He has a website (http://zeamerseagerbeavers.com/) and is working on a book. There was also very good book recently released on the 43rd Bomb Group that has some good info and photos. So I hope to be able to make an accurate representation of this B-17.

I’m very familiar with the Aphrodite B-17F but I’ve never seen a few of those photos you posted. Thanks! It is certainly one of the oddest looking B-17s. “Gremlin Gus II” would also make a nice looking model in its original configuration.

It is funny, when you think you really know a subject, just how much new information comes to light when you really start to dig into it.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:12 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the turboprop test bed in post

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense