PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
The fortress is looking good already (I wouldn't fly it though ), even without the colour it's impressive.
NH78
Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Perhaps someone can provide some information.

I have come across an interesting photo in Jerry Scutts’ “B-17 Flying Fortress (Classic aircraft: their history and how to model them)”. The photo shows a formation of B-17Es of the 97th Bomb Group with B-17E 41-9043 “Peggy D” in the foreground. There appears to be two light colored disks painted on the tops of the wings just at the beginning of the outer wing panels just a little aft of the de-icer boots. See photo.

My guess is, could these perhaps be yellow patches of gas detecting paint? I have yet to encountered any definite documentation of the use of these patches on U.S.A.A.F. aircraft but I know the RAF used them on some of their aircraft in the earlier part of the war. At this time the 8th Air Force was borrowing certain practices from the RAF. I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

The bomb bay, wing spars, wings and wing fairings are progressing well. I hope to have some pictures to show soon.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 421.96 MB
John,

This is a screen capture from John Huston's film "Report from the Aleutians". It shows a B-17E flying out of Adak and you can see that it has random patches of what appears to be Neutral Gray or some other paint applied to the airframe. This also appears on B-25s and some of P-38s in this theater. "Peggy D" and the other a/c seem to have the same type of random blotches on their control surfaces and airframes, so this may have been a common field applied camo mod at that time.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-1278992_562678603787322_1768926745_o.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixdk View Post
John,

This is a screen capture from John Huston's film "Report from the Aleutians". It shows a B-17E flying out of Adak and you can see that it has random patches of what appears to be Neutral Gray or some other paint applied to the airframe. This also appears on B-25s and some of P-38s in this theater. "Peggy D" and the other a/c seem to have the same type of random blotches on their control surfaces and airframes, so this may have been a common field applied camo mod at that time.
I think you're correct in calling it field-applied camo, John.

Wyvern
Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Really looking forward to this one, John!

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Hi Don,

That is an interesting camouflage scheme. I’ll have to do some research on that. Thanks for posting the picture.

Some of the B-17Es of the 97th Bomb Group (“Peggy D” being one of them) wore a facsimile of the British Temperate Sea/Sky camouflage scheme. But that’s a whole other story.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.16 MB
Really love the work you are doing on the B-17s.
Wish I had the talent to do that.
One Question???
Are you going to do a cat version for us cat people too?
HOPE SO.
Best Regards,
Gary
Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Musicman, how about this one?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Here is the progress on the wing spar, wings and wing fairings. This is the set up for the model with the bomb bay doors closed. I’m still doing some test builds with the doors open. The bomb bay will also serve as a fuselage former. The wing spars are inserted in the front and back of the bomb bay. The wing fairings, so far, have been relatively painless. Hopefully that will continue with the open bomb bay test builds.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Wow!
That is looking really great so far I think these are going to turn out to be some of the best B-17's yet!
Jeff
Google Adsense