PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 02-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Don, that B-17C looks good. Is that the one you had at the Armed Forces Day event last year?

Hi Hank, I glad you are enjoying my kits! I'd love to see some photos of your builds, can you post any? If you can't, which ones did you build? The Ju 52 was a fun kit. I actually built one again (in 1/72 scale) this past summer. Thanks for your support!

John, The B-17 had to be one of the most versatile airframes in history. They were used for everything from spy planes to fish haulers, storm chasers to bug sprayers, there is a seemingly endless supply of subject matter.

Thanks again for your interest!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 879.73 MB
Hi, John. I also forgot to mention I have built numerous of your Fokker D-VIIs from Fiddler's Green - - amazing . . . I also just found the Opel Blitz versions on Fiddler's Green (how did I miss those!) . . . fantastic. I really enjoy the figures you add to the kits . . . any chance you could offer another package of aircrew/groundcrew? Your first kit I built was also the Model 299 you did for Fiddler's Green . . . in any event, I will try to figure out how to post pictures; could take me quite awhile since one can't apparently just download from the computer anymore.
Thanks again and keep up the excellent work, it is certainly appreciated.

Hank
Old 02-25-2017, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hank - Either use "Post Reply" or click on the "Go Advanced" button. You will see a paperclip icon in the top menu strip. If you click on the paperclip, you will get a dialogue box entitled "Manage Attachments." You can up load using that box, but first you have to be sure that you have resized the images to a width of 640. I look forard to seeing the images of your builds. Don
Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 PM

Paper B-17s

Hi, again.
Thanks for the tip, hopefully there is a picture attached to this note.

Hank
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-20160131_120832.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:18 PM

Here's another!

Hey, that last one worked, so here's one more.

Hank
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-20170116_074232.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM

Hi Hank, Your models look great! Thanks for sharing. You go quite a ways back if you have built the D VIIs too. Those were the first kits I did. I hope you like the Opel Blitz. I do have plans to do more trucks. I have started on several ground support vehicles to go with these bombers. The progress has been kind of slow though. These will have more ground crew figures. I’ve redesigned the nose and rear fuselage for the very early Fortresses, so the Model 299 will be getting an eventual re-vamp. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or problems with the kits.

And please, share more photos if you can.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:54 PM

I wanted to see how Don's method of photo attachment works. If so, this is the color photo of the B-17D I'm working on.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-b-17d_captured_phil_dd.jpg  
Old 02-27-2017, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great image of that natural metal 11th Bomb Group B-17D.

You are probably well familiar with the J-Aircraft thread in which Jim Lansdale posted that image and some others of the same aircraft captured at Clark. JAPANESE Captured B-17 Photos!

I can't put my hand on the URL just now, but there is also a wartime Japanese film starring a shark-tail B-17 flying over Mount Fuji and being attacked by (as I recall) Ki-44s. I think that one was captured on Java or Sumatra.

Don
Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 PM

One more B-17 . . .

John: Thanks so much for your kind words about my clumsy, glue stained efforts. That means a lot and I want to keep building and improving my results. I realized that one of my first models was your B-24D "Strawberry Bitch" from Fiddler's Green.
Here's another picture of your B-17E and the B-17C . . . you probably notice that the propellers, engines, landing gear and wheels on the B-17E are plastic . . . I borrowed them from Revell's 1/48 B-17G. They fit perfectly, just as if they were designed to fit your kit!
Thanks again and I can't wait to see your new releases!

Hank
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-20160131_120944.jpg  
Old 02-28-2017, 11:07 AM

Yes Don, I am very familiar with that J-Aircraft thread. A lot of very useful information! I’ve also seen that Japanese film of the Ki-44s “intercepting” the B-17D. It would be interesting to know what eventually happened to these B-17s. I guess we’ll never know. I was surprised at the condition the B-17D was in when the Japanese found her. There is a photo in the J-Aircraft thread showing several Japanese officers standing next to the B-17Ds tail when she was captured. Apart from the missing engines, she doesn’t look to be in too bad of shape. This aircraft was apparently put out of action on Dec. 8th 1941. This B-17D was also flown to the Philippines by Capt. Colin Kelly, though it is not the B-17 he flew his famous mission in.

Thanks for the photo posting info Don. Silly me, for some reason I thought one had to have photos uploaded to a photo hosting site or to link photos from our forum gallery. This opens a whole new world for me! I’ve attached a photo of the upcoming olive drab over neutral gray B-17G.

Hank, Your builds look fine. You should see mine, a lot of times they are slapped together in a hurry. Interesting idea using the plastic parts from the Revell B-17F. I used both the 1/48 scale Revell B-17F and the Monogram B-17G to take measurements from. Did you know most of the parts are interchangeable between the Revell and Monogram B-17 kits. Monogram was not too happy about this at the time as it was obvious that Revell had copied their kit. You seem to build a lot of my large bomber kits. How do you display them? Most of my builds are now at 1/72 scale to save room. Thanks again for the photos!
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-mow_1as.jpg  
Google Adsense