PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Thanks 3Turner for making the kit available so quickly. And thank you Richschindler and mwangarch! The weather beaten, patchwork appearance of this B-17 was a fun challenge. Here is another view of the finished model.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-abl19s.jpg  
Old 04-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Just took delivery of mine from ECardmodels. It's a real beauty. I took a close look at the parts for the Cheyenne "pumpkin" tail turret.

One of your best so far, John, even if it is isn't a Pacific Fortress. Of course, it has a Pacific connection, being emblazoned with the image of Miss Lace and the signature of Milton Caniff, whose "Terry and the Pirates" and "Male Call"took place mostly in China and the Pacific.

Don
Old 04-19-2017, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
LOL - Well, Don, there's at least two of us that remember Terry and the Pirates fondly. That was the first comic strip I read when the Sunday paper was delivered. I read the black and white daily series also but Sunday in living color was the high point of the week.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:57 PM

Verily. I have the complete Terry and the Pirates, the wartime Buzz Sawyer, and the complete Scorchy Smith in hardback editions and still like to dip into them now and again.

My Pacific War Strategy on-line elective is underway and this summer I will do my graduate seminar on the Pacific War. During the session on the China-Burma-India Theater, we are sure to point out that Flip Corkin was closely based on Phil Cochran (Milton Caniff's classmate at the Ohio State University), who led the 33rd Fighter Groups lead elements into North Africa, commanded the 58th Fighter Squadron, mentored the Tuskegee Airmen of the 99th Fighter Squadron when many other senior officers were shunning them, and then co-commanded the 1st Air Commando (Cochran's Glamour Girls) in Burma. I was very pleased to have elements of the 1st Air Commando supporting our Vietnamese battalion in Vietnam 1966-67.

I'm reasonably certain that John will not object to this short diversion from the topic of B-17s, especially since we got here by way of Miss Lace, who, in real life, was Dorothy Partington, shown below being drawn by Milton Caniff.

Have a great Navy day, YankeeBoy.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-caniff_flip_corkin.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-philip_g__cochran.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-dorothy-partington_miss-lace.jpg  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I just downloaded this and the Pacific C model, both have beautiful textures. The work on these are quite impressive and I really like the details on the pages that will help with the building.

Beard
Old 05-04-2017, 06:56 AM

My wife asked me to pass this around. I hope no one minds me doing so.

I’ve been in the process of finishing up the extra details on the B-17D kits. But my wife brought to my attention the plight of a kitten a woman we know rescued. You can read his situation below. I am considering doing a B-17 kit as a fund raiser for Goldberg. Would there be any interest in this? I have two different B-17s that I am considering. I’ll let the majority decide. The options are B-17F-25-BO (41-24574) “Tuffy” from the 43rd Bomb Group in the South Pacific. The other is B-17F-75-DL (42-3537) “Friday the 13th” from the 94th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force. Yes, the very late production block B-17Fs had chin turrets.

Thanks for any help you can give.

“Sonnia Cepeda, a devoted cat rescuer on Long Island, is trying to raise money for this sweet little kitten who was found in a basement and left to die. His name is Baby Goldenberg. He was rescued by a young girl and taken to the vet immediately because of his severely infected eyes. His eyes have now ruptured and he needs surgery. Since he weighs less than 2 lbs, the surgery is temporarily on hold. Goldenberg will be admitted to the hospital on Monday and will stay there till he can have the surgery. Goldenberg has been in foster care with a dog and a blind cat, who he loves very much and who love him.
There are already offers to adopt Goldenberg, but he needs to have the eye surgery first.

PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING FOR BABY GOLDENBERG'S SURGERY.

We need to raise about $3,000. Your donations are tax deductible...under alleykattz rescue..
Please Share this story.

You can donate through Paypal "friends and family" to: [email protected] ...https://www.paypal.com/

If you would like to send a check, please send Sonnia an email at: [email protected]<3
EVERYONE PLEASE SHARE....FUNDS MUST BE RAISED...PLEASE.....DO IT FOR THE BABY....”
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-18222531_437981523201960_6790864988351314137_n.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-b17-tuffy-nose.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-media-408500.jpg  
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Hi John,

I vote for Friday the 13th, being a late F model with the chin turret, it's. A unique cross-over.

Later,
Swampfox
Old 05-04-2017, 12:58 PM

John - I made a donation for Baby Goldenberg and, of course, have to vote for the Pacific Fortress, Tuffy.

Don
Old 05-05-2017, 05:57 AM

Thank you Don for the donation. I had a feeling you would vote for the Pacific B-17. I look forward to seeing you on the 20th.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Donation made and I agree with Don - 'Tuffy'!!!