PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Lots of videos of the Memphis Belle on the Air Force museum web site and Facebook during the restoration . Take a look if you need reference info

As a volunteer there, it will be a huge event the weekend of May 17th . I will wait a week or so after to get close.

Isaac
Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
MichaelS was asking about the progress of an upcoming kit of the Boeing Model 299 and Y1B-17 that I am working on. Here is a photo of a fuselage test build. I wish I had more time to get these kits done quicker. I’m still working on the Memphis Belle. I've attached a photo of a fuselage test build. This has proven to be one of the most difficult kits I have done. It is such an iconic aircraft with a very distinctive look. I want to make sure I get it right.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-y1b-17-fus.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-mbtest.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Ohh! Ohh! Mr. Kottah! Please pick me! I want one so bad! Can't wait to fly my 299 down to Brazil and see my friend Pericles. (The first -17's did a trip down to S. America back in like '38).
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 737.23 MB
Helping out

Just a quick note here. I just received the two Fortress models that Mr. Dell is offering for a donation towards helping out the kitties. Needless to say they are beautifully done and worth much more than the donation he asks. If you have not already done so, pleas consider donating. The models alone are worth the price.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
I guess I am past due for some kind of update on my B-17 projects.

In case some of you were not aware, I did two kits as a memorial to Glenn “Elliott” Merrill who recently passed away. The proceeds from these kits will go to a charity that does research into childhood cancer. On kit is a fictional kit dedicated just to Elliott. The other is a model of an actual aircraft named “Kwitchurbitchin II” that served with the 15th Air Force flying out of Italy during 1945.

My kit of the B-17F “Memphis Belle” is (finally!) almost finished. I’ve attached a photo Texman took of the completed model at the Armed Forces Day event back in May. Since this is such an important B-17 I decided to do add some extras. It will have five cut-out figures of various people directly connected to the history of the aircraft. The kit also includes an RAF Type C3 bomb cart. I’ve attached a still from the wartime “Memphis Belle” movie that inspired this accessory as well as my rendition. I should have this kit to Ecardmodels the beginning of next week.

Another thing I have been working on is a re-design of my bombs to make them more accurate. When Ecardmodels was down for renovation I decided to take that time and start some needed renovations to my several of my kits. I am also starting a kit of a post war B-17.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-aha19e.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-4099dfb7921106796f803226467fdfcaac1e2af5.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-bc5a.jpg  
Old 07-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
John, is there any news concerning the "Old 666"?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 879.73 MB
John, the Memphis Belle model is awesome! I am going to be in Ohio later this week and will be going to the AF Museum and see the real thing . . . when I get back home I will be buying the kit off ECard models, a perfect transition. I now know what my big summer project is. Keep up the fantastic work and look forward to all your future releases!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the update, John. As you probably noticed, I never finished posting the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days images. Among those still to be posted (soon!) are those of your air force. As you may recall, I was teaching my on-line Pacific War Strategy elective for the last time. Finishing that up and other activities incidental to wrapping up my 29-year USAWC teaching career took up my time for the past month or so. I hope to get those images posted within the week.

Don
Old 07-09-2019, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Howdy John,

For your reference files:

I can send you ground level reference snap shots if needed.

Three times every month I visit the Planes of Fame Air Museum, Chino, California

where they are restoring a B-17G.

BP
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-1.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-2.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-3.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-4.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-5.jpg  

B-17 Flying Fortress-6.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-7.jpg  
Old 07-09-2019, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
There is another B17 and a B25 Mitchell in Urbana, Ohio, only a short drive from the Dayton Air Force Museum.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51072-d4783445-Reviews-Champaign_Aviation_Museum-Urbana_Ohio.html
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...bana_Ohio.html