PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Kazziga, I guess I should finish “Old 666”. I just looked the files over to see what I had done and found that the only thing really left to do with that kit is draw some crew figures. I think the reason I put this on the back burner was because I had already done several Pacific Theater B-17Es and Fs and I wanted to get a couple of ETO B-17Gs finished. Since “Old 666” was used for reconnaissance, I drew a new set of bomb bay fuel tanks and it will have the radio room camera bay as well as a K17 aerial camera to go in it. I’ve attached a photo of the camera bay and a detail image of the camera parts. I guess I’m taking one small step closer to adding more interior details.

Elliotsprings, I’m envious of you going to the Air Force Museum. I haven’t been there since the early 1990’s. Be sure to take plenty of photos of the Memphis Belle”. They did a great job with her, though I still think she looks too clean. It looks like they decided to show how she looked right after completing her last mission. For my kit, I decided to show how she looked when she arrived in Washington DC for the start of her war bond tour. And thank you for your kind words.

Hi Don, I actually had you in mind with the latest kit I started of a post-war B-17. It will be a VB-17G VIP transport serving with the Far East Air Logistics Force during the Korean War. See attachment below. Perhaps you could help me find a decent image of the FEALF group marking on the vertical stabilizer. Are you enjoying your retirement?

Bob, thanks for the photos. If memory serves me right, that was the B-17 used in the 1960’s TV show “Twelve O’clock High”. Do you know what her eventual markings will be?

John, I am familiar with “Champaign Lady”. There are quite a few B-17s in the Dayton area. A B-17D, F and G at the USAF museum in Dayton as well as “Champaign Lady” in Urbana. I really need to get out to Ohio one of these days.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-cbt5a.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-k17-details.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-vb-17g.jpg  
Old 07-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
John - I will see what I can find out about the FEALF. So far, all the post-retirement free time has failed to materialize, but we'll see. Keep 'em flying Don
Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
John – No joy yet on finding the insignia of FEALogFor. I will try contacting the U.S. Air Force Historical Research Agency.

The paragraph below describes the lineage of the FEALogFor. Based on this, and information in Robert F. Futrell, The United States Air Force in Korea 1950-1953, rev. ed. (Washington: Office of Air Force History, 1983), p. 495, I conclude that the photo was taken between 1 February 1952 and 1 October 1955. VB-17G 44-83798 may have been Brigadier General (Major General as of 6 September 1952) Paul E. Ruestow’s executive transport. He was the commander of FEALogFor.

Air Materiel Force, Pacific Area - This logistical organization, which eventually became the Pacific counterpart of the preceding unit [Air Materiel Force, European Area] began during WWII. Established as Far East Air Service Command 14 July 1944. Activated 18 Aug 1944 at Brisbane, Australia, replacing the Far East Air Service Command (Provisional), formed 15 June 1944 at the same location. Assigned to FEAF. To Hollandia, New Guinea, 16 Nov 1944 and to Manila 7 Aug 1945. Redesignated Pacific Air Service Command, US Army, in Jan 1946, and Far East Air Materiel Command 1 Jan 1947. To Fuchu, Japan, 20 Jan 1947. To FEAMC AB, Japan, 1 July 1949. Inactivated 1 Feb 1952, but immediately organized the same day at FEAMC AB (later Tachikawa AB), Japan, assigned to FEAF. Redesignated Far East Air Logistics Force 1 July 1952. Assigned to Air Materiel Command (later Air Force Logistics Command) 1 Oct 1955 and redesignated Air Materiel Force, Pacific Area, the same day. To Wheeler AFB, Hawaii, 1 June 1957 and back to Tachikawa AB 1 Apr 1960. Discontinued and inactivated 1 July 1962.” Charles A. Ravenstein, The organization and lineage of the United States Air Force, Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History, United States Air Force, 1986, p. 39.

I presume this was the source of your image: https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/JonesVincent/7429.htm

This scrapbook site has an image of the FEALogFor headquarters building at Tachi and an image of a B-17 Tail Number 3621 taken at Tachi in 1952 or 1953 by 2LT Fred Pape, who had hitched a ride. It was the executive transport of Brigadier General Herbert Leonard Grills, deputy for personnel, Headquarters Far East Air Forces. https://abt-unk.blogspot.com/2015/05/
Bio of General Grills: https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biograph...eonard-grills/

More later, if and when I have something to offer.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-b-17_tailno_3621_general_grills_exec_transport_tachikawa_1952.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 07-10-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the information Don! I have three color photos of VB-17G 44-83798 taken from different angles. In one photo a blue square with a (gold?) star is visible on the tail above the rear entrance door. Now I know the star is in reference to Brigadier General Paul E. Ruestow. I’d like to find a picture of him. Thus far I have only found a photo of his grave. I did find this photo of an interesting ash tray that may prove useful. I plan to dig through some more of my books this weekend to see what I can come up with. Speaking of books, I recently ordered a book on B-17s in foreign service from England that will hopefully arrive this weekend.

That is an interesting photo of General Grills B-17. Very odd that it has such minimalist markings. Not even any national insignia.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-rare-vintage-korean-war-fealogfor-far-east-logistical.jpg  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
John, thanks for great news concerning the "Old 666". I will be waiting ;-)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Howdy John,

You are correct, The Planes OF Fame Museum's B-17 was one of the "Twelve O'clock High" stars.

As yet the museum staff has not released any info on its final paint job.

BP
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-b.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-c.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-d.jpg  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
No decision yet

Bob,

I do not believe that that decision has yet been made and probably is some time away from being made as there is much work to be done prior to painting.

My suggestion (for what it's worth) would be to convert the aircraft into "Piccadilly Lily II" from the TV Series.* Here are a few photos taken behind the scenes during a shooting day of the series here at Chino Airport if that helps.

Brian
Brian Finnegan
Director, Education Programs and Museum Development
Planes of Fame Air Museum
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-1.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-2.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-3.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-4.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-7.jpg  

Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
There are plenty of schemes to think of. To honour those who flew these aircraft in times of conflict.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the very interesting photos Bob. It is neat to see behind the scenes shots like that. I’d still like to do a kit of the Piccadilly Lily from the film Twelve O’clock High.

I’d actually like to see the Naval Aviation Museum get a hold of one of the surviving PB-1W AWAC Fortresses.

Memphis Belle is almost done. I just have to get my photos sorted out. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 AM

I just sent the files for the Memphis Belle kit to Ecardmodels today. I imagine it should be available in the next few days. Below is a photo of what comes with the kit. The cut-out figures from left to right are: Major William Wyler, director of the 1943 Memphis Belle film as well as other legendary Hollywood films like “The Best Years of Our Lives” and “Ben Hur”. Captain Robert Morgan, pilot of the Memphis Belle. Margaret Polk, Capt. Morgan’s girl friend at the time and who the B-17 was named after. Joe Giambrone, ground crew chief for the Memphis Belle. Stuka, the Memphis Belle’s Scottish Terrier mascot. And Corporal Tony Starcer makes another appearance in one of my kits. He was the very prolific artist who painted most of the nose art in the 91st Bomb Group. Of the handful of surviving combat veteran B-17s, two are from the 91st Bomb Group and both have Tony Starcer artwork.

I am also making progress on the VB-17G. Between that ash tray and the photos of the VB-17G I have, I think I got a pretty good approximation of the tail insignia.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-mb2s.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-vb-17g-tail.jpg