Total Downloaded: 125.02 MB
this is looking great you are a true artist
Old 11-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work, as always, John.

Don
Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Thanks for all the kind encouragement. The B-17s are finally coming together rather well. But there is still a lot to do.

While trying to find some more information on that camouflage scheme worn by that Aleutian based B-17E that Don posted a photo of, I came across this nice picture.

This is a B-17B taking part in cold weather tests in Alaska. This aircraft was already on my to-do list but this photo is real wealth of information and detail. I like all the locals checking out the B-17, especially the girl in the nice parka in the middle. I’ll have to add cut-out figures of some of these people to the kit.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 44.88 MB
fine looking model in the making, i will show this to my freind steve he's a bit of a b17 nut !!! tons of pics and information, might be just the thing to get him into paper modelling.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 421.96 MB
John,
I believe that there were 2 B-17s assigned for cold weather testing and that photo was taken at Ladd Field in Fairbanks. I've seen a couple of other photos of them, but most of my books are piled in a spare room while I'm building new bookcases for my work room. I'll see what I can find. Both of those B-17Bs were lost during the Japanese invasion. One was shot down in an attack on an enemy cruiser and the other lost in a non-combat crash, I think.

Looking forward to your beautiful early B-17s.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:47 PM

Hi Don, I'd love to see whatever you have on these Alaska based B-17s. Do you have any other info on that B-17E you posted a photo of?

Thanks,
John
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 421.96 MB
John,
There isn't a lot of coverage of the B-17s in Alaska, B-24s and B-25s were more common. If you haven't already got it, you should watch "Report from the Aleutians", which is where that screen cap of the B-17 came from. There are several copies on YouTube in varying resolutions. I know that I have a couple more pictures of those Ladd Field B-17s, it's just a matter of digging them out of the piles of books in the other room. The cold weather testing Forts will make a great model, with their red orange tails and that Polar Bear unit insignia on the fuselage. I'm off work for the next couple of days, so I'll take a look through the collection.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:54 PM

Thanks again Don for whatever you can find out. I was actually surprised to see that B-17E in that still from the Aleutians film. You are right, you don't see too much on that theater. Those B-17Bs, I thought, were perhaps the only ones there.

Even though the B-17s service in the Pacific was short, there were some interesting paint schemes. For example the so called "Hawaii Air Depot" scheme which I've seen on both B-17Ds and Es and the B-17E at Guadalcanal that was painted bright blue.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
update photos

Hi John and anyone else watching. Sorry I haven't posted much here lately, busy with life's comings and goings.

I took some picts of my work on the test build and thought I'd post them. Nothing really different than what John's posted but just to say that parts are all fitting fine, no problems other than those I create my self.

I do these builds without instructions and when I do have a problem on construction, I contact John, he gives me a hint and then he uses my problem questions to improve the instructions that he supplies with the kits.

Enough of that, here are some quick images in no particular order;
B-17 Flying Fortress-little-tail-700.jpg click to enlarge
B-17 Flying Fortress-more-tail-700.jpg,
B-17 Flying Fortress-bum-bay-700.jpg,
B-17 Flying Fortress-wing-ding-700.jpg,
B-17 Flying Fortress-fuse-lodge-700.jpg,

until next time.
I just noticed that these pict appear just a touch fuzzy. I don't know why as the originals look fine. I apologize and will look into what is causing this.

Swampfox
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the input, Swampfox. You never seem to have too much trouble figuring out what I send you. Which is a relief!

I’ve been making progress on the bomb bay. Here are some photos of a rough test build so you can get an idea of where I’m going with this. So far I only have the art for the bomb bay roughly laid out. Once I get the engineering worked out I’ll refine the art work and add the cat walk and bomb racks.

The first photo shows the spars in position fore and aft of the bomb bay.

Here the rest of the spar parts are added as well as the wing former. You see there is going to be a former that the tail wheel will be mounted to.

Here is the wing in position. You can see a flap on the bottom of the wing that will fold up into the bomb bay, showing the wing structure.

Here is the wing fairing with the bomb bay door open. I still have to add the interior of the bomb bay door and design some formers to give it the proper cross section.

Google Adsense