PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Halifax Class Frigate anyone??

A Design/build thread is possible,..

1. I will need help beta builders to build along with me
2. everything I do will be posted and online here so that hopefully a free model of a halifax class frigate can be downloaded by everyone,.. PDFs etc etc
3. simple to start,.. with the idea to add on,.. and revise,.. with cool photoshopped graphics etc etc,..

is there any takers? and what scale would you like to see,... 1/200??? let me know

B-Maniac has already helped me out in a great way,.. I have also been searching the web and researching like crazy to I think I may have enough to start drawing templets except for the hull cross sections,..

B-Maniac has awesomely supplied me with bonjean curves for the ship BUT...

found a great site regarding bonjean curves (to figure out what the heck they were),.. but sadly as I started to understand,.. my eyes glazed over and I passed out,..LOL I dont even think I have the proper software to generate the hull bulkheads accurately based on the imputs

location of bulkheads - Boat Design Forums

Basic ship theory - Google Book Search

if I could get help I will draw up the templates and artwork for anybody to test and of course finally build,.. and me too of course..

thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Halifax Class Frigate anyone??-tank.gif   Halifax Class Frigate anyone??-07_issmm_03.jpg  
Login to remove ads
Old 02-26-2009, 06:06 PM

I have been unable to locate any hull cross sections. There should be a way to derive them from the bonjeans but that process is beyond my expertise.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 PM

there are a few places that are offering plans for a remote control frigate,... I have asked if the plans include "stations" or bulkheads etc,.. waiting to hear back,.

most places only offer fiberglass hulls with rights managed "templates",..

the more i study the bonjean curves you supplied me,..and the articles from the links above the more I am making a connection of how to generate the curve

WL = Waterline,.. (but not necessarily the true water line,.. but rather the horizontal plane on that height/horizontal part of the ship,.. in this case every meter i believe? {like layers of cake with frosting at every layer}

STN = Station or,.. bulkhead/cross section of the hull,.. maybe not the true bulkhead BUT where there is a significant shift in hull direction or shape???

Area m2 =,.. I am now believing that if I go out from the centerline on any given WL that corelates using that particular measurement that is under the "Area M2" column this will in essence trace out my bulkhead template (kinda like using x-y co-ordinates to mark out each sequential point after the previous one on the next WL)

so technically the diagnaled line on the example really means nothing,.. possibly?

I will attach a section of your supplied drawing to hopefully make sense of my "un- engineered" brain explanation

then actually start mapping out the bulkheads using the measurements,..
Attached Thumbnails
Halifax Class Frigate anyone??-picture-1.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:56 PM

If you are not a scale nut you could come up with a fairly close shape (as a waterline model) square stern with a bit of an angle oh the hull sides bow standard knuckle there are plenty of side on pictures on the net which show the side curve. Slab sides for the rest of the hull.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM

great answer Barry! I certainly relieves the stress!! LOL ,...I do have the deck top view and the profile hull shape,... water line would be more simple,.. I did think of using another frigate type hull that has cross sections and tweeking it to fit the 2 views I do have,.. it would be close enough I suppose without getting too carried away,.. but this whole bonjean curves thing is intriguing and I am trying to figure it out,.. so I dont have one of those "I should tried to figure it out" moments LOL
Login to remove ads
Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 PM

I agree with Barry...start with the waterline version, and just go with TLAB design. You can always revisit the model to add on the red parts. I recommend 1:200 for the scale. I've got some other projects in the fire at the moment, but should have enough time left over to play in your sandbox....bring it on.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 PM

sweet,..thanks darwin and barry,.. my experiment failed,.. my math is screwing up the cross sections,.. I have been on ship designers forums and others asking the same question,.. it should be soon enough that i get an answer,...

until then I will be drawing up the structures with all the other reference that I have,.. it should be alright!,..thanks for the advise guys!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 AM

halifax class frigate picture motherload,.. walk around pics,.. etc

Canadian Warship index, Mac's Navy Links - macsnavylinks.ca
Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 AM

My friend is serving on the Fredericton, stationed here in Halifax.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM

wicked cool StevO!! it would be cool to get some walk around pics (hint hint)...

Halifax is a gorgeous city BTW! anyone asks me about where they should go in canada when they visit,..I always say either victoria and vancouver on the west or Halifax on the east,.. and you'll never go wrong!

I just wish I could get some cross sections of the hull,.. (man I cant seem to let that go!)
Login to remove ads