PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
That looks as if it will work. I guess I'm too locked into my stick-and-tissue construction mentality. I envisioned gluing everything to the dorsal keel piece as the construction progressed. I think it will be ok to use the dorsal keel as a "jig" during the construction to keep the bulkheads lined up properly, but wait until the very last to actually glue it in place. That way, a completed module can be removed from the keel before starting the next one in the sequence. Once the modules are completed, glue them together at the floor and upper keel pieces, then slip the dorsal keel into place and glue it down. I think it would be easier to glue the details to the floor of the center module before installing the floor into the framework, though. As many times as the dorsal keel will be inserted into and removed from the structure, I think I will sacrifice some of my 1/32 inch basswood sheet for backing the keel pieces, and possibly the bulkheads as well. Thanks for the hint, Alin. I can't wait for you to get the cockpit section posted....and can just imagine what the wheel wells will look like. If you tell me you have detailed the engine compartment as well, I'll know I have died and gone to cardmodeller heaven.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM

I thought I'd post a few pics of my progress so far on building this puppy. First, a disclaimer about the photo quality....my sugar level is a bit low, and brunch hasn't kicked in yet...between blurry eyesight and unsteady hands, I'm fairly happy I was able to get pics taken at all. Inside my brain, there is a 20-year-old self screaming "what the (#&$^ did you do to me?"

In my first attempt, I tried using basswood for backing all parts...however, that didn't do too well. The structure is so fragile, the wood simply splintered on any attempt to cut across the grain. I limited basswood to the ventral and dorsal keel pieces. The remainder, I backed with two laminations of thin (approximately 0.5 mm) cardboard, with the laminations cross-grained. On the bulkheads, I made mirror-image cardstock parts for putting on the back side of the parts. The parts came out a tad bit thicker than the designer intended....so, if fit issues arise during the assembly, mia culpa. However, I am reasonably satisfied with the part's strength, especially after soaking the thin portions with crazy glue. On a couple of the bulkheads, I tried facing the raw edges with bond paper strips cut from the color swatch the designer provided on the parts pages. After trimming down those strips, my thought was I'd still have to do considerable touch up painting, so gave it up as a lost cause....might as well just paint the raw edges without the hassle of trying to hide them with colored paper.

So far, so good. The dry fits haven't shown any fit issues. So far, just this portion of the frame has taken as much to accomplish as a complete build of a typical Fiddler's Green model. This model is every bit as complex as a Halinski kit, so expect your building skills to be seriously challenged if you try it. That said, there is a great deal of self-satisfaction to be obtained when it all comes together.

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-01.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-02.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-03.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-04.jpg
Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Very good to see this coming together in reality, too! - L.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Very interesting build already. I find your technique of the spine support really intriguing! Can't wait to see more of this one.
Chris
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Alin have done it again! I am in awe of your designing powers, and also good luck with the testbuild Darwin
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2009, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is beautiful work!

Don
Old 03-21-2009, 02:23 PM

A quick posting of progress while I have an internet connection (the joys of having to go wireless in the rural areas of the country). The framework is coming along, and the fiddly bits are started. I'm cheating on the oxygen bottles....dowels come in handy for lots of things. The cylinders are simply glued to the dowel, and then trimmed to size. The upper keel is giving me some very evil ideas involving grain of wheat lightbulbs. Our weekly foray into the big town is today (she-who-must-be-obeyed is getting ready as I type), so I can stop by the LHS and see what they have which might be pressed into service on this build.
Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-08.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-09.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-10.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-06.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-07.jpg

Last edited by Darwin; 03-21-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Monk moment
Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Looking pretty cool..... I like that pack of dowels.. Where did you acquire them at?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 PM

I bought this pack from Fred Meyers, but most craft stores carry them as well. I usually find them in the kiddies crafts section, with the popsicle sticks, etc.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM

I finally got done with the first fiddly bit....the table and oxygen bottles. All told, about 130 pieces make up this little gem. So far, parts fit has been excellent. Yesterday I raided the LHS and picked up some grain of wheat bulbs. They do fit in the cable trench formed by the dorsal spar assembly. By the time it gets done, things are going to be very crowded in there. I'm thinking of lining the bottom and top of the trench with tin foil to make it a bit more opaque to the light. The LHS did have some bulbs that were smaller, but only had one pack of them (3 bulbs per pack). I still am far enough from being ready to install them that I could probably order some of them. That would help solve the fit issues a bit...as is, the bulbs come in contact with the wood keel pieces. I don't think there will be much temperature issue, even if I go with what I have, since I don't think I will be using the full 12 volts these little puppys are rated for.

Present thought is to install the model on an airport tarmac diorama base, and include a few pieces of support equipment (like a generator cart, and maybe a tug tractor). I think I'll install the power supply in the diorama base, and feed the juice into the plane through the generator cart umbilical. That way, it won't be too hard to install a dimmer so light intensity can be juggled around a bit. If I get really, really ambitious, I could go for working navigation and landing lights as well.

Does anyone know if a kit exists for a generator cart?

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-11.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-12.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-13.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-14.jpg

Siebel Si 204 by Alin Osarik, beta-builders invited-15.jpg