PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Trek: Nebula Class Design

Morning all. Totally allowing myself to get distracted(as happens frequently). I started modelling a Trek ship lastnight to bring a new model about.

I fell out of love with Trek years ago for some reason but have recently started to enjoy it again. It seems that there are people creating new Trek models again as well as revamping old ones So I wanted to choose a ship to add my contribution. Originally I was going to do the Sovereign Class 1701-E but got pulled toward the Nebula Class. I was always fond of it so figured "Why not?".

Thanks to Drex Files I got some nice renders to use as a base and the main flesh of the ship is done pretty much. I'm not sure on a scale yet but I'm aiming to add an internal structure for support so it can go big if I choose.

Not much to see yet really but it's very early days. I also plan on adding the option of the both pods that sit on the rear.

On the subject of the Sovereign Class, is there even an interest in a different version? I ask as I may do this one in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Trek: Nebula Class Design-uss_farragut-_generations.jpg   Trek: Nebula Class Design-nebula-angled.jpg   Trek: Nebula Class Design-image28.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
That sounds awesome! I'm all for more Trek models, as my posts clearly show. It's great to see different takes on the ships.

I'd love to see another Sovereign class, especially the Enterprise E. I have Clever's model that I've done some repainting and upscaling to, but I'd love to have another option. Since you're doing a Nebula class, how about a new Galaxy class model?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM

That's good to hear! How far along are you?

I did briefly consider a Galaxy Class, but I remembered there were already a fair few out there so put that idea to bed. I will have parts from the Nebula though so could always revisit it and do a Galaxy eventually?

I'd definitely want to do a Sovereign Class/1701-E though. Is there anything out there that hasn't been done? Canon ships that is.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
Cant wait for these the raven has not been done yet
Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
I haven't started the Enterprise-E yet. I'm currently working with legal01 to put out a new version of the Enterprise-C. When that's done, I'll probably start on the "E".

As far as canon ships go you are right, most are out there. Most, like the "kitbashed" ships from DS9 and Wolf 359, I could care less about. Those were slapped together and most aren't good models anyway. There are 2 I'd like to see. First, I'd like to see a good, clean version of the TOS Klingon D7. Second would go great with your Sovereign build. I'd like to see the Enterprise E captain's yacht Cousteau. I've never seen one. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Trek: Nebula Class Design-cousteau.png   Trek: Nebula Class Design-cousteau-2.jpg   Trek: Nebula Class Design-klingon-d7.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Good suggestions. I'm taking a list.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Have to agree about the Cousteau. I've considered doing it, but right now, I'm focusing on an original design project of my own, along with a redesign of Ninjatoes' Delta Flyer, so I won't be taking on anything new for a good long while...
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Most of the 3D detail I want is done now so I started adding some colour. Not entirely happy with the dish so I'll probably tweak that.
Attached Thumbnails
Trek: Nebula Class Design-image40.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Little update. I've started to create the textures for the hull. I had thought to use the images I'm basing the model off at first to cheat my way through the aztec pattern. The pics aren't high enough quality for my liking so it looks like I'll be doing them from scratch. There is a lacking of detailed reference pics for certain parts/angles of the ship so some of this will be totally creative license in those hard to spot areas.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Ok. My brain is fried after an hour or so of drawing out the aztec on the upper saucer and it doesn't look the way I'd hoped. :( I hoped to do this completely myself but I'm not happy with how it's going. I have however downloaded some great shots of the Light Works Enterprise D they created for digitally remastered Next Generation episodes on Blu Ray.

What I'm thinking is that I re-work these pics to use to texture the Nebula Class? I can do most of the hull using these images as I did before on an Ent B I modelled years ago? It's a cheat I know, but it would give results that I'd be happier with and of course credit would go to The Light Works for the original texture work they've done on their model.

Here's a quick sample to give an idea of how it would look. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Trek: Nebula Class Design-tngent_ortho_small_top.jpg   Trek: Nebula Class Design-idea.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
nebula, ship, star trek