PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Yeah, Lex, looks like you have struck a chord here with a lot of us sea rats. Looking forward to watching this bad boy come together especially in 1/200 scale. Having built Hasegawas' older styrene kit in braille scale throwing a bunch of PE and home brewing corrections to the old kit, I can appreciate the complexity of such an endeavor.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
First day

Should've done this earlier if I'd known so many people has interest!

I am never good at looking for references, can't be helped with that. (therefore some details might and would be a little off from "reality"...) For reference I only have BS Profile Morskie's (aka designer's gospel) booklet with me, and also I can check on the forbiddingly insane Halinski Fuso kit for small details -- I know Hal itself doesn't do a good job on historical accuracy... But I'm even worse!:p

I have designed one full hull before, and I say the hull is one of the hardest pieces on a ship to design. BS's cross-section diagram wasn't very detailed, so I had to build a compound surface from the information I have, and take detailed sections from that, then, painstakingly, adjust every control point by hand...... After a night's struggle I finally had everything in check, --but still lacking the torpedo bulge and a bit detail on the stern. More on the subject later.

PS for those who can't wait for a kit of the Ise... (or Yamato, or Nagato, or Mikasa)
papercraft etsutan
Attached Thumbnails
A massively overconfident project-ise001.jpg  
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 PM

Lovely hull shape Lex.

I think I have a similar issue with my hull for the modified Leander that you have with your Ise. There aren't enough cross sections on my plan so I've let the software do a best fit curvature. From that I intend to position my own frames. Did you create your cross-sections by adding new curves at the points you wanted them, hand adjusting to fit what had been lofted? I'm thinking that I might be able to slice the original hull somehow, perhaps using a boolean or something so as to avoid hand tweaking the curves.

Design of the torpedo bulge should be interesting to see. I tried that once on a polygon model. I didn't do a very good job of it.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very good! Another excellent addition to the growing fleet of Japanese warships executed in paper. You have a very diverse range of design talents and interests, Lex! I wish you the best with this design.

Don
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM

It's been a week since the last update, and as some might have guessed, I got stuck on the bulge... The BS reference didn't draw it in at all, but from all other sources it's there for sure. So I have to refer to Halinski Fuso's bulkheads for details. --The hull of that kit in fact has its own inaccuracies so I couldn't rely solely on that. Nevertheless after days of minor adjustments the hull is complete now, minus the screws. Phew... What a massive ship she is :o

Also the reference picture was truely large, and I had to turn my video card to max power to get anything moving in Rhino at all. Glad I bought my laptop last year concentrating on best graphics performance, --it was good foresight!
Attached Thumbnails
A massively overconfident project-ise002.jpg   A massively overconfident project-ise003.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2009, 12:02 AM

The hull looks great. I can't wait to see the structure rise from the deck on this.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Eternal Member

Nice job Lex

Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Excellent work on the hull and she is a big old beastie, even in 1/700 scale, she dwarfs most of the other ships in my collection. The old Morskie Monograf is pretty fair on the deck details and such so it will come in much handier there. I had more than my share of fun when it came time to figure out how to put the stack, complex tower structures, various platform levels and other details just in that area alone. When you look at the bridge structure and after deck areas they are a whole 'nother set of areas that can get extremely complex.

Once you get it all sorted out, it will be an amazing piece of work with vast amounts of eye candy to check out from stem to stern. Looking forward to your progress updates.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:01 PM

Looking mighty fine. I am in awe of those of you who do that 3D magic stuff!
Old 05-03-2009, 04:44 AM

Sorry for the wait, didn't get quite much done for now. Waterline hull turned out to be much harder than I thought (as always...) Hopefully building the model won't be as hard as it was to design:D

Oh and there probably won't be any more updates till mid June as I'm busy writing my degree thesis:o
Attached Thumbnails
A massively overconfident project-ise004.jpg  
Google Adsense