Old 11-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
if she attacked this she will be looking for a new home
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceM View Post
Yes, it's your Mauretania, at this point just finishing the skeleton and so far everything fits perfectly. Thanks for donating such a great model.
You're welcome

-*-*-*-

Assembled the rest of the decks on frame. By now decks are just put in for first measure.

As we previously discussed that it would be best to use 1.5 mm card paper for whole model - still decided to make decks out of 1.0 mm. IMHO It was a good choice, because there are quite many levels and if the parts were in 1.5 mm it would be hard to adjust them.

Now I need to recheck and correct any drawbacks and mistakes (there are some). After that I shall return to "drawing board" to design inner bulkheads between decks.

PS. sorry for "vintage" background which looks like wall paper from 70s . It's the only cloth I've found.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
that is looking incredible.lump in throat just looking at her.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
:D

You're welcome

-*-*-*-

Assembled the rest of the decks on frame. By now decks are just put in for first measure.

As we previously discussed that it would be best to use 1.5 mm card paper for whole model - still decided to make decks out of 1.0 mm. IMHO It was a good choice, because there are quite many levels and if the parts were in 1.5 mm it would be hard to adjust them.

Now I need to recheck and correct any drawbacks and mistakes (there are some). After that I shall return to "drawing board" to design inner bulkheads between decks.

PS. sorry for "vintage" background which looks like wall paper from 70s . It's the only cloth I've found.
im guessing the boat decks will be the most complicated parts for your design
Attached Thumbnails
Ocean liner SS "Canberra"-img058.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
im guessing the boat decks will be the most complicated parts for your design
Probably. I'm especially concerned with stern assembly.
Have a feeling I'll need to ask help for my "old fiend" sandpaper

The model is quite big and minor deflection on one side might occur a bigger gap on other. Still there's no way to avoid troubles, we must face and overcome them

PS. This week should receive H.Millers book. Right on time. I hope find new details related door and window arrangement.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Probably. I'm especially concerned with stern assembly.
Have a feeling I'll need to ask help for my "old fiend" sandpaper

The model is quite big and minor deflection on one side might occur a bigger gap on other. Still there's no way to avoid troubles, we must face and overcome them

PS. This week should receive H.Millers book. Right on time. I hope find new details related door and window arrangement.
i did buy that book on your advise and its a great addition to my library
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
i did buy that book on your advise and its a great addition to my library
Thanks

Finally, me too received the book. Lots of pictures of Canberra and other P&O fleet liners.
The book proved to be useful for modeling as well: picture of propellers on page 32 made me reconsider the design - model's props by now are too narrow. Moreover even if some pictures are available on internet still the better quality photos are in book.

The model.
Unfortunately during labor week I haven't made any major progress except one improvement - additional longitude former for underwater section formers.

Test assembling showed that it is hard to control designed space between "underwater" formers (especially at the center). This part would improve situation, plus it may prevent paper sheet sag, because there would be the largest parts.

The test model will have a bit different formers in that place, as now it is impossible to put designed one.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:14 PM

i like the idea of the diagonal supports inside the hull.u have lost me with the rest of technicalities of designing.she is looking good so far.glad you enjoyed the book also
Old 11-15-2014, 04:47 PM

This is about the best book on her falklands service.issued by P&O in 1982
Attached Thumbnails
Ocean liner SS "Canberra"-img061.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
This is about the best book on her falklands service.issued by P&O in 1982
I guess You have this book?

By the way, started to read W. Millers book and it changed a bit my impression on Canberra. I remember sorrowing myself that Cnaberra was scraped in late 90's, however I was amazed PnO considered to scrape vessel in early 70's! Only a bit more than 10yr. of service. So decommission after 30+ years of service seems less painful.

Moreover learned new word "canberritas" Despite cutting edge design and elegance Canberra had many design issues - remembering 500 ton additional ballast. Unless miscalculation in weight balance I guess she would be far more successful ship (faster and more economical).

Also it was interesting to read a comparison between Canberra and Oriana. The book made an impression that Canberra was larger and better looking ship, while Oriana tend to be more reliable and convenient for passengers with more sophisticated interior design.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I guess You have this book?

By the way, started to read W. Millers book and it changed a bit my impression on Canberra. I remember sorrowing myself that Cnaberra was scraped in late 90's, however I was amazed PnO considered to scrape vessel in early 70's! Only a bit more than 10yr. of service. So decommission after 30+ years of service seems less painful.

Moreover learned new word "canberritas" Despite cutting edge design and elegance Canberra had many design issues - remembering 500 ton additional ballast. Unless miscalculation in weight balance I guess she would be far more successful ship (faster and more economical).

Also it was interesting to read a comparison between Canberra and Oriana. The book made an impression that Canberra was larger and better looking ship, while Oriana tend to be more reliable and convenient for passengers with more sophisticated interior design.
oriana was built for orient line before companies merged hence her original straw coloured hull.oriana was certainly a faster ship especially on the australia run.she had a few tricks.only one of her funnels was real the other served only as a vent
Google Adsense