Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk78 View Post
This is going to be another good looking ship
NH78
I'll try to do my best

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
the original design for the queen mary2 was stunning however micky ariston? who owns carnival which now owns cunard insisted that all outside cabins had a balcony hence the tower block effect she has now.technically she is a great ship but her transatlantic sleek lines are spoilt and imho the idiot wgho designed the funnels needs shooting
Is there any pre-design sketches or concept drawings of QM2 on the net, that illustrates those differences?

-*-*-*-
Made some progress. Despite good deck plans and cross-section I still don't have diagram of hull surface curves. For that reason, for first approach I'm creating hull surface using 3Dmesh design. Comparing to various pictures and by guessing I manage to get such results:
The distinguishing sharp line on Canberra's bow I shall make later, while designing surfaces for paper enviroment.

sample I used:

Still, it is hard to define how accurate the hull is, but first impression looks acceptable.
Next step is to transfer lines on surface at places where I think the frame section parts should be.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
im assuming you know the reasons that Canberra went into Falklands waters but the QE2 went nowhere near???
Yep. Twice apparently. but we transferred to Sir Gallahad who took us in Thankfully we were off loaded quickly before it got hit. Looking at some of the pictures Canberra appears to have had some pretty close misses. Was she actually hit at all?

Johnny.

Last edited by JohnM; 08-16-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
im assuming you know the reasons that Canberra went into Falklands waters but the QE2 went nowhere near???
Yep. Twice even apparently. but we transferred to Sir Gallahad who took us in. Thankfully we were off loaded quickly before it got hit.

Looking at some of the pictures Canberra appears to have had some pretty close calls. Was she actually hit at all?

Johnny.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Yep. Twice even apparently. but we transferred to Sir Gallahad who took us in. Thankfully we were off loaded quickly before it got hit.

Looking at some of the pictures Canberra appears to have had some pretty close calls. Was she actually hit at all?

Johnny.
no she wasnt but if take alook at the canberra site theres a geat video of the argentine aircraft comming in belowe her mast height.extra undies were essential isue
Old 08-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post

Johnny.
lot os folks who i guess you knew didnt get off sir galahad as im sure you know.Were you Welsh guards??
Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
I'll try to do my best

Is there any pre-design sketches or concept drawings of QM2 on the net, that illustrates those differences?

-*-*-*-
Made some progress. Despite good deck plans and cross-section I still don't have diagram of hull surface curves. For that reason, for first approach I'm creating hull surface using 3Dmesh design. Comparing to various pictures and by guessing I manage to get such results:
The distinguishing sharp line on Canberra's bow I shall make later, while designing surfaces for paper enviroment.

sample I used:

Still, it is hard to define how accurate the hull is, but first impression looks acceptable.
Next step is to transfer lines on surface at places where I think the frame section parts should be.
I will see if i can find some original QM2 design plans.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:18 PM

If you can get her looking as good as the sample i wil be over the moon.Personally i would say dont get too hung up on small details.So long as she is recognisable as Canberra im happy.Im certainly not going to pick holes or point out any small errors.The overall impression is more important to me than ''counting rivets''
Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 PM

another cutaway if it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Ocean liner SS "Canberra"-cutaway-ship80s2.jpg  
Old 08-17-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
lot os folks who i guess you knew didnt get off sir galahad as im sure you know.Were you Welsh guards??
No ... We were a small Royal Signals detachment. We hitched a lift from QE2 on SG's deck. Fortunately we were landed as soon as we got there, but we lost our Chinook with the ship. I'll never understand why they decided to keep The Welsh on board.

Johnny.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 PM

Was a disaster waiting to happen thats for sure .QE2 embarked 700 survivors from Antelope,Ardent and Coventry and headed back to the UK.We went back to Falkland sound with guards and gurkhas on board.We then left the sounds on 1st june and stayed out at sea till the surrender on 14th june at which time we went back in to pick up 4400 Argentine POWs who we returned to mainland Argentina.Our total service time was from 9th april 1982 till return to southampton 11th july 1982.Interesting postscript which i just learned.Sir Galahad was eventually sunk in deep water as a war grave by HMS Conquerer which as im sure you know was the sub that sank the General Belgrano.

Last edited by herky; 08-17-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: ene
Google Adsense