PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 01-17-2015, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Fiat-G.55 1/48 or first attempt with UPC3D

Hello paper modelers!

Recently I’ve been looking how to improve the textures I make on my models so that I could create dirt, smoke, scratch impression and so on… As the flattened parts usually loses direct relation with each other and it is almost impossible (at least for me) to create weathering effects (using raster image editors) on parts so that effects transition from part to part would be even and correct. For this reason studied texture unwrapping techniques on Rhino, but find out it is rather different thing than I’ve imagined.
Then I asked advice from colleague Eric_Son to describe his own experience on how he manages textures. Big thanks to Him and his advise I was left with two obvious choices: Pepakura_Designer or Ultimate_Papercraft 3D.
Both software cost almost the same, also at first glance have pretty much the same tools. However Pepakura is more appealing to work, better tool management, is more popular worldwide. On the other hand UPC3D is able to work with high resolution textures (Pepakura is limited up to 1024x1024px unless you buy higher version that cost 100$ instead of 40$), also UPC3D can join edges that belong to different parts (I made an impression that Pepak. can’t do this).
As the target of my research is texture improvement I’ve chose UPC3D.

And here’s the first test model:
Italian WWII fighter FIAT-G.55 “Centauro” 1/48.

Rhino3D UPC3D
Result

Design concept
Yet on trial versions I’ve understood that such programs are very “sensitive” on object complexity level. More elements -> more edges -> more problems. For this reason I’ve already started to design aircraft with simplified (1st degree) unsmoothed surfaces (or meshes) with sharp edges:

Also, tried to avoid openings in mesh. Each hole might result dozens of points and tiny edges. If it is necessary to do hole, try to do it using sharp edged polygons

Texturing.
On texturing I’ve “merged” Rhino and image editors (Gimp and Inkscape) advantages:
1. Projected various lines that imitates contours, small openings and other stuff on 3D model as usually.
2. Depending on how I want to want to apply texture (planar) I make 2D projection of object including mesh edges.

Having such template and managing with layers I export each template into various editors: in order to make “spotty” camouflage to Gimp, for vector line edition to Inkscape. On Inkscape I import texture made on Gimp and save result as png.:

3. As I have “frames” of each texture in Rhino I can put them onto 3D model to create 100% exact position for applying planar texture.

Operating such method it is possible to create lines that describe cut areas without cutting the mesh.

Drawbacks:
The main issues are related to exporting *.3ds file (the only format that UP3D recognize including textures) into UP3D. At first glance export works fine, however when you start to edit parts you see that some edges are unable to join. The problem is related to surface conversion into 3ds polygons. Despite 3D model is already 1st degree, conversion still divides it into more polygons. It isn't a problem until you find two opposite edges that can’t be joined – the reason is that one edge have 2points (1 edge) meanwhile the opposite 3 points (2 edges). UPC3D can join only edge to edge. It is a result of a random mesh conversation into 3ds file.

Another bad thing is that if you decide to redesign mesh the 3ds conversation algorithm also changes and the problematic edge might occur in other part that had no problems before.
After several attempt to make final parts I was left with only one edge of wing that can not be joined. Despite changing parameters for exporting, I was unable to get rid of that edge. Finally I divided one wing into 3 shorter wings. Still "bad" edge did not diaper but became shorter ant I manged to join whole parts via other edges.

Also, I don’t know why but UPC3D imports object not on center of coordinate axis. Tried “merge” command but UPC3D each part import in random position in space? So had to import whole model at once, still not a big deal as UPC3D recognizes and gives name for each separate object, but it is a drawback if you need to change one or other part.

Conclusion
All in all UP3D isn’t perfect software, but workable if you know its advantages and disadvantages.
I probably won’t use it for whole models to be published, only for parts that require to be unrolled with textures.

Thanks for reading
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
Great looking model, one of my favorite planes. I look forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work.

Brent
Old 01-18-2015, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
This is way over my head. But I do recognize quality work when I see it. This must be most worthwhile for all those who strive to make models the rest of us can enjoy building or tinkering with. Warm thanks for the effort. - L.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Brent and Leif,

Thanks for following !
Old 01-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Interesting work Sharunas. Do you think Pepakura Designer would have yielded different (better) results?
Google Adsense
Old 01-28-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Interesting work Sharunas. Do you think Pepakura Designer would have yielded different (better) results?
Hi Elliot,

On weekend I shall try to import model to Pepakura.demo and see how it works.
By now, I think both software are rather equal except texture size limitation issue.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Wow!

That's an awesome model.

RE: Results in Pepakura
I think the texture issue is the only difference you'll see when you load up your model in Pepakura. If you use textures bigger than 1024x1024, Pepakura will downsample your textures. And the downsampling algorithm used by Pepakura is not very good. Loss of details and pixellations abound.

What texture size did you use for your model?

One function in Pepakura that I wish UP3D had ---> Reload 3D model.
From time to time, I like to add stuff to my existing model. With Pepakura, all I need to do is to load my old PDO, then issue a reload-3d-model command. Parts that have already been unfolded and laid out will be untouched. I only need to unfold and re-layout the new parts.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_son View Post
Wow!

That's an awesome model.
Hi Eric,
glad you saw my post, thanks.

Quote:
Wow!
RE: Results in Pepakura
I think the texture issue is the only difference you'll see when you load up your model in Pepakura. If you use textures bigger than 1024x1024, Pepakura will downsample your textures. And the downsampling algorithm used by Pepakura is not very good. Loss of details and pixellations abound.

What texture size did you use for your model?
Oh, I don't have files with me now, but textures were rather big up to 3MB, 3000 and more px. Vector templates usually exported enlarged up to 10 times (basic layout was A4)

Quote:
One function in Pepakura that I wish UP3D had ---> Reload 3D model.
From time to time, I like to add stuff to my existing model. With Pepakura, all I need to do is to load my old PDO, then issue a reload-3d-model command. Parts that have already been unfolded and laid out will be untouched. I only need to unfold and re-layout the new parts.
True. Also Pepakura's edge change tool is awesome too.

And what about edge weld that belongs to other objects (parts)? UP3D theoretically can weld all edges into one part. As I found out on Pepakura demo if there are separate objects, those object cant be joined. For example: I have top and bottom wing's surfaces (different objects with different ID) and I want those two objects would consist one unfold part?

One more question. How about mesh importing issues on Meta to Pepakura? Are there any problems as I described on introduction post while using UP3D? I guess you design mesh (or surface) that consist of many small 4 point elements and while importing into Pepakura such mesh is converted into one with many small 3-point elements? Aren't there any problems on Pepakura as well?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
And what about edge weld that belongs to other objects (parts)? UP3D theoretically can weld all edges into one part. As I found out on Pepakura demo if there are separate objects, those object cant be joined. For example: I have top and bottom wing's surfaces (different objects with different ID) and I want those two objects would consist one unfold part?
I think your observations are correct. Pepakura can't do edge welding for separate objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
One more question. How about mesh importing issues on Meta to Pepakura? Are there any problems as I described on introduction post while using UP3D? I guess you design mesh (or surface) that consist of many small 4 point elements and while importing into Pepakura such mesh is converted into one with many small 3-point elements? Aren't there any problems on Pepakura as well?

Meta and Pepakura have a very special relationship. I've a strong suspicion that the DEVs for TetrafaceJP and TamasoftJP are in constant coordination with each other. This has brought about a very good and accurate model import of MQO files into Pepakura.
My MQO files have a mixture of 4-point faces and 3-point faces. Both 4-point and 3-point faces are imported into Pepakura as-is.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Meta and Pepakura have a very special relationship. I've a strong suspicion that the DEVs for TetrafaceJP and TamasoftJP are in constant coordination with each other. This has brought about a very good and accurate model import of MQO files into Pepakura.
My MQO files have a mixture of 4-point faces and 3-point faces. Both 4-point and 3-point faces are imported into Pepakura as-is.
That's great advantage.

meanwhile I shall try various 3ds file exportation options, maybe there exist one method that would solve edge problems.
Google Adsense