PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Etiquette of Publishing Kit-Bashed Models

Hey all, I'm very new to the hobby. I've only done three models (one's in the last stages) and intend on sticking to unmanned satellite and space craft subjects. As a plastic military aircraft builder I'm no stranger to and not averse to kit-bashing - taking parts from one kit that will fit better, or improve the detail of another kit.

In paper models though, I wonder where the line is?

Let's say that I download someone's plans that are 1/48th scale and bump it to 1/24th (my preferred scale at the moment). There's a lot of cutting and redesigning needed to fit the big parts now 200% larger onto A4 stock. In addition, what was added as a graphic (think thruster or instrument panel) by the original designer can now be replaced with a suitable part. But I'm not smart enough to calculate circumferences, so I'd rather grab the part from someone else's model whose modeled that part already.

Okay, that's well and good for me but, I put the effort into figuring out what to put where, and maybe there's someone else out there who'd like the option of my bash. Is my work publishable - maybe I should rather say "sharable"? Should I include a bibliography of sorts to list contributors even if I put no effort into asking their permission?

I ask because, you know, plagiarism. And frankly, respect. There's a lot of talented designers and I don't hold a candle to you guys. Hmm, I don't hold an xacto knife to you guys? So I appreciate your opinions before I cross that line.
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
I know one thing, don't claim authorship of the model. maybe zip file the whole thing and write a page of what you are doing, and why, state over and over again who the authors are and what parts are theirs. include pictures. AND NEVER EVER,...........EVER, DO ANYTHING TO OR WITH UHU02 MODELS EVER, NEVER EVER.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 PM

Location: I live in Johanensburg South Africa, the real Gangsters Paradise!
Total Downloaded: 40.11 MB
Simple advice, where possible try and contact the original designer and obtain their consent upfront before publishing anything. Most designers are not that worried as long as you don't claim to be the original designer. It is also best to confirm with the original designer where you intend to publish the design and always send them a copy.

If you can't find the original designer just ask here as there would be someone who know how to get hold of them on your behalf.

I personally don't understand the complete ban on changing UHU02's designs as I have seen ways in which the designs can be improved but alas I have never managed to get consent from the designer so the changes will never be made or published.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
What you do to a downloaded model is of no concern to anyone else.
As long as you are doing it for your own personal use.
You can enlarge, reduce, edit all you want.
You can copy the design and make your own models.

AS LONG AS IT IS FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE.

I don't care who's model it is or what any zealots say.
You can bash, edit, or modify any model.
Even my own models...which I try to secure against editing...if you can get in,
you can do whatever you want to them (for your own personal use).

You do not need to ask ...or beg...for any permission to do anything to anyone's kit.
(Although it is always respectful and fun to share your projects, especially with the designer.)

Regardless of what you do with a downloaded model,
you CANNOT reshare that model with anyone*

*UNLESS
the original author has already given permission for "copying, redistribution, sharing"
My Easy Build kits are good example of a preauthorized sharing policy: Promotional Free Paper Models

OR

you contact the original author/designer/distributor and get the proper permission to reshare the kit.
I have a few models on my site, that I got permission to do modified reshares.
My Mini Cruzer is a good example (with knowledge and permissions from Ichiyama): Outlawz Mini Cruzer
Old 01-30-2015, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
It seems that airdave has covered everything.
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2015, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Thanks guys, really.

Too often (Youtube and Facebook I'm looking at you) other people's work is being copied and re-uploaded, sometimes without even any modification, just to push more advertising revenue onto the plagerists page with no ramifications to the reposters or compensation for the authors.

Not a path I think any of us want to go down.

After spending more time on this board, and taking a much needed Humble Pill dose, I'm beginning to appreciate just how much the authors of our models are giving (time mostly but also expertise and development costs too) to ensure that these plans are free to the public domain.

I hope the discussion is valuable - both in thanks and appreciation - but in recognition also. It is at least to me.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
A couple more thoughts: when you contact the original designer send him or her a copy/sample of the changes you've made. It's a nice extra step to let the person see what's going on. Also, whether you get permission or not you can still post a detailed build thread of your model. That way someone who's interested can replicate it or be inspired by what you've done.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:51 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
And if you draw or design your own replacement part for kit part you can publish the part you designed, but only that, and only if it is 100% your original work. You cannot modify a part from someone's kit and call the part yours, or publish without permission.

Most of designers I have talked with say they enjoy seeing their kits kitbashed, superdetailed, rescaled, or improved.