PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 02-10-2015, 02:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper Car Designer (using interactive SVG files)

I'm not exactly sure where this should go, so moderators... my apologies if this is not correct

Anyway, a few years ago, I stumbled across an interactive paper model of a Camaro that would let you choose the colors and stripes, and then print your model. I thought it was a really neat idea, and I found it again the other day: PaperCars.Net - Classic Camaro

I started thinking of ways that I might be able to do something like this (SWF, EXE, Java) and after quite a few wild goose chases, I came across a very simple solution using SVG files and Inkscape (it would require very little coding on my part, no installation of software on the user's part, and it would be platform-independent). Basically, the user would interact with the model in much the same way as in the Camaro papercraft, except there would be no photo-like preview (the colors would change directly on the template instead). Then, when the user is happy with it, he/she could simply print the model from Firefox (or any other web browser that supports SVG images).

For information about making SVG files interactive, I used the following links: Adding JavaScript, Creating interactive wireframes with Inkscape and JavaScript EclipseSource Blog, and Mouseover effects in SVGs | Peter's Website. There is also a good example here: E-50 by XaHyMaH on DeviantArt (fighter jet with X-ray; click 'download' for it to work).

I completed the UI for a custom paper car:

It's designed to be language-independent, so it relies on icons to help the user navigate the menu.

And the first car I would try this on:

1968 Oldsmobile A-body.

The only limitation I've found so far is that the model cannot span more than 1 page (otherwise, the user would need to make color selections for every page separately, as each one requires its own SVG file), so I'm planning to make relatively simple models for this. They would be more complex than Jcarwil's (see the next 2 images), but probably not much so. Simpler models = more models = more variety Time is a factor too, and I'd like to make something that even my non-papermodeling Mom could enjoy (and assemble easily).

Jcarwil's models:

Mine would have things like 3D tires, and the vehicles will probably be either 1/43 or 1/32 scale (depending on how they fit on the paper). The document itself will be 10.2" x 7.5", compatible with both A4 and US Letter.

So my next question is, if/when I finish some of these, would anyone be interested in buying them? We're talking very inexpensive, like $1 or two per model (per model of car; you would be able to make as many paper models from it as you want). So if you bought the '68 Olds, you could make any number of '68 Oldsmobiles from it. A '69 Charger would be another dollar, etc... Of course, I'd probably make one pre-colored freebie of each But for the custom model designer, would anyone like it?
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
Could we specify the year, make and model that we wanted? Or would there be pre-set designs? I'd love to get the '99-2001 Pontiac Grand Am, and the '61 Olds F-85! 'Would be worth more than a dollar to get those!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
PaperCars.Net - Classic Mini Cooper

This one looks like Adobe Flash (Is that SVG, as well?)
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Anne View Post
Could we specify the year, make and model that we wanted? Or would there be pre-set designs? I'd love to get the '99-2001 Pontiac Grand Am, and the '61 Olds F-85! 'Would be worth more than a dollar to get those!
There would be pre-set designs. A '61 F-85? Are you an Olds fan by chance? I used to have an '81 Cutlass Supreme and a '90 Trofeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
PaperCars.Net - Classic Mini Cooper

This one looks like Adobe Flash (Is that SVG, as well?)
That one is Flash as well. I don't really know anything about it, so I'm not sure if it uses SVG files or not (I'm guessing not, but it's really just a guess...)
Old 02-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
That's very interesting. I'm looking forward to your progress.
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectKITT View Post
There would be pre-set designs. A '61 F-85? Are you an Olds fan by chance? I used to have an '81 Cutlass Supreme and a '90 Trofeo
I used to drive a '61 Olds F-85, and loved the little thing. My mother paid someone to haul it away, cause it had a valve buzz in the transmission that she found embarrassing. It was a great little car. A/C, auto trans, power steering, power brakes, etc.

I've driven about everything, but always preferred the Olds and Pontiac, both of which are history now.

Last edited by rickstef; 02-11-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
This is pretty brilliant. I'd not heard of interactive SVG files before. I'm not a huge car modeler, more planes and sci-fi, but a buck or two is cheap for anything. I say you should charge $3 or $4, or even $5 given that you can make as many as you want in a bunch of color combinations.

I've always wanted a collection of every style of Corvette. Not every model year, but at least one of all the main body styles. Of course I want a collection of real ones, but since that's not likely I'll take what I can get .

Is the one page limit because of Inkscape? There is a multipage addon for Inkscape here - Inkscape multiple pages support | SourceForge.net but I don't know how well it would integrate with the interactive elements.

There's also the option of using larger paper sizes. Many copy and print shops these days can print documents on much larger page sizes. Ledger size is 11x17 which is two 8.5x11 pages. Of course finding cardstock that size isn't always easy.

And btw, you are correct, Adobe Flash is not SVG. SVG is an open source alternative to Flash.

Cool stuff. I look forward to seeing where you take it.

Steve
Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
That's very interesting. I'm looking forward to your progress.
Thanks Revell-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Anne View Post
I used to drive a '61 Olds F-85, and loved the little thing. My mother paid someone to haul it away, cause it had a valve buzz in the transmission that she found embarrassing. It was a great little car. A/C, auto trans, power steering, power brakes, etc.

I've driven about everything, but always preferred the Olds and Pontiac, both of which are history now.
Interesting My mother has had all kinds of Oldsmobiles; currently she has two A-body Cutlass Supremes and a mid-90s Ninety-Eight Regency. I've had Olds, Pontiac, Chevy, and GMC. So only GM, although my sister's Insight is quite tempting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsquirrel View Post
This is pretty brilliant. I'd not heard of interactive SVG files before. I'm not a huge car modeler, more planes and sci-fi, but a buck or two is cheap for anything. I say you should charge $3 or $4, or even $5 given that you can make as many as you want in a bunch of color combinations.

I've always wanted a collection of every style of Corvette. Not every model year, but at least one of all the main body styles. Of course I want a collection of real ones, but since that's not likely I'll take what I can get .

Is the one page limit because of Inkscape? There is a multipage addon for Inkscape here - Inkscape multiple pages support | SourceForge.net but I don't know how well it would integrate with the interactive elements.

There's also the option of using larger paper sizes. Many copy and print shops these days can print documents on much larger page sizes. Ledger size is 11x17 which is two 8.5x11 pages. Of course finding cardstock that size isn't always easy.

And btw, you are correct, Adobe Flash is not SVG. SVG is an open source alternative to Flash.

Cool stuff. I look forward to seeing where you take it.

Steve
Hi Steve

Thank you for your input, and all the info. Yep, the 1-page limit is due to Inkscape (but a multi-page addon could definitely be useful; I'll have to check it in Firefox to see if it would display/print correctly). It's also partially because every object that would be modifiable would need to be individually added to the interactive part of the button, and that could get time-consuming with a large number of parts. Unless of course I append everything (like every part of the car's body) into one object. It would be harder to move the parts around later, but I think it would be doable.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM

So I've decided to start with an easier (and also more popular) car - the '69 Dodge Charger. My favorite Mopar of all time

I made some mock-ups and then modeled it yesterday, now working on the textures:

The windows aren't going to stay that ugly blue, BTW

It's 1/32 scale, so about 16cm/6.5" long. I'm thinking around 10 body colors, 2 stripe/top colors, 3 rims, and an "appearance" option as suggested by my sister - Clean, Work-in-Progress (bondo/primer, etc), Muddy, and Covered-in-Snow. Sounds like fun :D
Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Nice! I just had one idea. Why not offering the complete *.svg file so that anyone can adapt the kit according to his / her needs using InkScape?
Google Adsense