PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 08-29-2015, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Delahaye-165 Figoni et Falaschi Cabriolet

Hello everyone!

after long Cnaberra project and before new one decided to take on smaller design.

I've always was impressed by unique vintage cars from the 30s such as:
Bugatti Atlantis, Talbot Lago, Cord-810 and many others...

However Delahaye-165 Figoni et Falaschi Cabriolet probably is the most impressive and most harmonious example.
(the red one)

Delahaye was a small French company that had produced some realty great roadsters, while Giuseppe Figoni and Ovidio Falaschi were a designer and a car body builder that also had a company.

Started the project by designing body from mesh-surface:

then projecting the lines thinking on how parts should lay out:

Some line editing:

Laying out surfaces:

More line and surface editing plus new details:

At first I wanted to make model in more standart scale 1/25m however due to rather small size of detail now I'm considering on making one in 1/18...

That's all for now
Google Adsense
Old 08-29-2015, 03:57 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That is a beautiful car. With so many curved surfaces it will not be an easy build, but in your capable hands, it will make a stand out model when finished. I like the idea of 1/18 scale. Will you be designing it with an opening hood and detailed engine?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
What he said...
Old 08-30-2015, 12:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
One of my favorites, will be following along.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Glad you all like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
...Will you be designing it with an opening hood and detailed engine?
Actually no, as inside it would need some formers in various directions to maintain the form. Otherwise all the surface parts (especially the body-wings) would try to bend outside.
Also I'm trying to keep it simple - just to recreate those elegant body forms.

Google Adsense
Old 12-26-2015, 01:39 PM

Hello everyone!

after long pause have something to show.

First of all my apologize for those who expected to see Delahaye-165m, somehow I found that design rather complicated and totally lost an interest on it :(

However I didn't give up on any vintage car design.
This time I've chose mine favorite Rolls Royce: The Silver Cloud.

The scale is 1/18, car model quite big, but comfortable enough to assemble those thin parts that then become a fenders.

Next step is to assemble bottom formers.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Sorry to see the Delahaye go by the wayside; but a nice job so far on the Silver Cloud.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Aaaaah! So sorry to see the Delahaye cancelled, but as mentioned earlier ... sooo many beautiful curves ... in paper? Many cars of that era were such gorgeous works of art, and they were built to perform well too.

Comparatively speaking the Roller is quite a boring 50/60s style coachwork. If you must move into that Era/style can I suggest one of the last (but IMHO the best) of the British coach built Limos ... The Daimler DS420. Especially the few Cabrio versions.

I'd just love to have one of these majestic beauties on my windowsill. I wouldn't mind one in the drive way either, but I'm not sure I could afford to run it at today's fuel prices. I've not long parted with a 3.8 XK engined Jag, so I dread to think what the mpg of a 4.2 version of the same engine would be.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.54 GB
I like the Rolls.
The Delahaye was interesting too.
However, I prefer 1/24-1/25 scale for cars.
1/18 is Too large for mt space.

Interesting that US manufacturers do their plastic & diecast kits and ready built in 1/25
while Eueope & asia companies do them in 1/24
But ALL Paper are 1/25!!!!!!
Regardless of subject. Civilian Or Military!!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Sorry to see the Delahaye go by the wayside; but a nice job so far on the Silver Cloud.
Again, sorry :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Comparatively speaking the Roller is quite a boring 50/60s style coachwork. If you must move into that Era/style can I suggest one of the last (but IMHO the best) of the British coach built Limos ... The Daimler DS420. Especially the few Cabrio versions.

I'd just love to have one of these majestic beauties on my windowsill. I wouldn't mind one in the drive way either, but I'm not sure I could afford to run it at today's fuel prices. I've not long parted with a 3.8 XK engined Jag, so I dread to think what the mpg of a 4.2 version of the same engine would be.
Well I envy You had an experience to drive a 3.8L Jag . I would love to have similar one just for weekend drives or vintage car club meetings.
Talking about DS420 I find it's design rather peculiar and unique even for that era . However it must an impressive limousine in live motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-EDSEL View Post
I like the Rolls.
The Delahaye was interesting too.
However, I prefer 1/24-1/25 scale for cars.
1/18 is Too large for mt space.
Yes, for 1/18 its rather too large, although if it had an interior the size would be rather acceptable. Taking into account general view and complexity of an assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-EDSEL View Post
Interesting that US manufacturers do their plastic & diecast kits and ready built in 1/25
while Eueope & asia companies do them in 1/24
But ALL Paper are 1/25!!!!!!
Regardless of subject. Civilian Or Military!!
The same thing with aircraft paper model scale, mostly are in 1/33, but quite often appears and in 1/32.
Or ship models, where models in scale 1/250 are not very acceptable in eastern Europe, where dominates 1/200.

The funny thing is that model scale not defined by some international standard, for eg. ISO paper size A4, A3, A2...
So it's just a general agreement or even an established tradition between modeling community from which the whole miniatures-marked had evolved.
Google Adsense