PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 411.75 MB
P-26 Peashooter

Hi there all!!!

This is my first thread on this forum. I have been lurking around in the shadows for a long time watching and learning and now I am finally ready to share what I have learned from watching and building all the models I can get my hands on. I have done a lot of independent research on some of the properties of paper as a structural material. As you will see from the contents of this thread, I DO NOT THINK INSIDE THE BOX!!!

First a word of caution! I have three small boys who take up the majority of my free time. This will be very slow going. I am doing all this by hand (no 3D software). This is based loosely on an old paper model I bought years ago when I lived overseas. I am doing my own design using that old kit as a reference.

Anyway, attached is a screen grab of the first few pieces I have finished.
Attached Thumbnails
P-26 Peashooter-p-26-peashooter-01.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2016, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A fascinating project. The Peashooter is an all-time favorite and historic airplane. Thanks for sharing the initial layout drawings.

I look forward to seeing how this progresses and would be glad to see images of any of the models you have built.

Don
Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Details look good Dusty!
Old 03-24-2016, 04:17 PM

I may not have mentioned that the scale of this model is going to be quite large. The CAD drawing I posed yesterday does not show the scale. According to the math, it should come out around 1/10th scale. I have some Ideas I have picked up in my paper research that I am itching to try out to help with the strength and rigidity of the completed model.

As I mentioned before, I do not think inside the box. I am so excited that I get to share some of my discoveries with everyone. So, be prepared. In the next few days, you are going to see me do some things with paper that I have never seen done by anyone else. Just please be patient and bare with me, my plans are often times dashed by one of my boys who wants to stay up late and keep daddy from working.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 PM

I did not get much done over the weekend. I did do some coloring of the first part in Illustrator and printed out an uncolored part so I can start with my test build. I attached a pic of the colored part to give some perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
P-26 Peashooter-p-26-peashooter-02.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-01-2016, 05:01 PM

And now the fun begins!!!

I started the first part of the build. Attached are pictures of the very front of the aircraft from the engine back to just past the cowl. I am using a technique that I perfected over the years for some of my other large scale models. This is the first time I have tried it with something as complicated as an aircraft. Hopefully, all goes well!
Attached Thumbnails
P-26 Peashooter-20160331_183717.jpg   P-26 Peashooter-20160331_234354.jpg   P-26 Peashooter-20160401_001153.jpg