PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
On designing vernacular architectural models

My apologies if this has been previously discussed
On the internet I recently read (not here) a very nice comment about my model buildings, along with the observation that due to the small scale, such things as stairs and steps were perhaps too tiny and fiddly for children to assemble. I see no reason, other than aesthetic, why anyone can't supplement paper models with plastic or wooden parts that at the very least would avoid such fiddling about, and yet still make for an attractive model. Indeed Tapi has greatly enhanced my croft houses with the splendid addition of appropriate timbers that in paper terms would have added hours of frustration. Perhaps the ideal solution might be to supplement the instructions with alternative suggested parts, bearing in mind that substitutes aren't always available in various countries.

I have still been very busy designing models, mostly unfinished though as I easily get distracted by further ideas in the pipeline. I am also researching lots of books about vernacular architecture, and to be honest enjoying the research far more than the actual doing.

The UK, just like any other nation is chock-a-block with so many wonderful examples of traditional architecture that it's so very hard to know where to start, or even stop. I don't see my models as faithful copies, but simply to give a flavour of times past, and that's also because so many buildings are unique and the product of very individual domestic use. To this end it frequently annoys me when I do a drawing, painting, or model, for someone to insist they see the 'original' just to satisfy themselves that a model is 'correct in every detail'. In reality no old building is 'correct', especially timber vernacular structures that are faulty from the start, constructed of unseasoned timbers that will inevitably warp and throw the whole intended 'original' out of true. Also they are subject to constant alteration and repair, so in reality there is perhaps no such thing as an 'original' old building, unless by psychic means it were possible to exactly pin a structure down to a specific date and time. Just try doing that when 99% of the historical data is nowhere to be found, and the subsequent study of archaeologic and social history is basically guesswork!
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Andrew, an interesting topic!

I really like your buildings - thank you for them!

Tapi has done full justice to them and I honestly think they are great as they are. In fact you inspired me to start a bit of "modding" to provide some interiors etc. Having done this now, I have at some time to try and assemble the end result!

Are your buildings too detailed? Nope. I am referring about the comment regarding stairs and steps. If I was giving them to a child to assemble, or someone who had difficulty with the scale, there is a simple solution - print to a larger scale!

--------------------------------------------------

Your comments about there being no standard for a building in terms of "being correct in every detail" is also too true!

--------------------------------------------------

Vernacular architecture is in itself a fascinating topic - and there are far too few models along this vein.

I have been interested in vernacular architecture for many years, and on my visits to UK have indulged in admiring all the buildings there are. Wonderful. That's in between buying copies of Brunskill to further my education on the UK examples.

In Africa, there are also some interesting examples of vernacular architecture - especially some of the early country farm buildings. At one stage I was pretty much an expert on the windmills, watermills and horse mills, the remains of which can sometimes be found.

Cottages very similar to the crofters cottages also exist, and I am sure are based on the British buildings. There are some in the Kalahari desert that are basically identical - not only in external appearance, but also in terms of the internal layout! Somewhere I have some photos I can post if you are interested.................

Unfortunately most of these were unique one offs and were not formally ever documented by way of plans. As is often the case with really classic vernacular architecture!

Must get designing and building maybe one day!
Old 03-01-2016, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I know what you mean about the bean counters.

As a lark for a gaming forum, I did a Neolithic structure based off the Gallarus Oratory in Ireland. It was meant to be nothing more than 'reminiscent' of the oratory, not a scale model, though I did mean it to be a buildable model of a similar structure.

Then the comments came up about how the doorway appears to be only a third of the overall height, and I needed to emphasize the curvature of the building, and I totally ignored the foundation base stones.

Any model is a designer's vision of what it should look like, within the limits for which it is intended. To be a true model, wouldn't you have to model each individual stone? Oh, well.
Attached Thumbnails
On designing vernacular architectural models-sw-gohistoric_31973_z.jpg   On designing vernacular architectural models-20160226_214226.jpg   On designing vernacular architectural models-20160226_214239.jpg  

Last edited by Vermin_King; 03-01-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: I suppose I should give an example
Old 03-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Eternal Member

Nice model!

I ignore bean and rivet counters.

In the old days I used to go to the IPMS shows and I knew who the rivet counters were.

I used to examine their models closely and then try to look disappointed. They would pick this up, and immediately ask what was the matter.

I would then launch into the "shape of the hatch, which was modified late 1944" story and then leave them grabbing all their reference books (which they always seemed to have) in a panic!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 94.36 MB
@Vermin_King: I totally agree with Kevin WS, it's a nice model! Please try to ignore the bean counters, they may have all the theoretical knowledge (which, however, they aren't able to apply constructively), but they may well be jealous because they may not be willing (fearing other bean counters?) or able to come up with any kind of model themselves - seems it's always easier for them to criticize than actually DO something themselves. Thus, never mind what people "think" - they (usually) don't ...
@Kevin WS: Hey, that's a cute little trick! So far, I've never shared any of the few things I've made because honestly, I don't give a dried-apple d*** about what folks may have to say; neither do I need anybody's approval or applause, nor do I need any negativity in my life. I like what I'm doing the way I'm doing it, and if there's anything wrong with the outcome, I'll notice during the often numerous test-builds. :-)
I'll keep that "modified in umpteenhundred whatever" thing in mind, though! Thanks for sharing !!!
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2016, 03:31 PM

Oh, and @Andrew zippy: I totally love your models! I'm a railroad modeler with no space for a layout and no time, neither, to build anything, but since as of today, it's exactly 4,710 days until I'll (probably ???) retire, I've downloaded (thanks a lot for sharing!) a bunch of your models "for inspiration" - your models are stunningly beautiful, even if just a tad too "British" for me to use "as is".
By any means, keep up the good word!
Old 03-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

Andrew - here are two photos of what I basically regard as equivalents of the crofters cottage.

This one is very old and is in the middle of the Kalahari desert!

The roof has fortunately been repaired from time to time, although it is long abandoned - probably around 120 years + ago. With the roof repairs and the bone dry climate it remains well preserved with some of the original items inside. Of interest is the square hole in the side of the chimney - for light perhaps as well as a vent? Who knows!

One room inside - no more. Room for a bed, some tools and the items shown around the fireplace.

As far as I can find out it represents a sad story - occupied for a short period only before being abandoned. As most of the houses in the desert are. ......

Given the countryside (desert), the isolation and hostile environment, as well as the wild animals, there is no chance (or means) for surviving here. This cottage has some small stone enclosures nearby - maybe for a goat or two or some oxen. No chance of growing crops.

The strange thing is that this cottage is also built on the top of a pretty high cliff. There is no available water in the area, and building on the top of a cliff seems peculiar as it only adds to all the problems! By ox wagon it was 14 days from the nearest inhabited place - a small town.

All in all very strange - whoever build this was not clueless to achieve what they did, but to do it without really any hope of survival medium term really seems distinctly odd!
Attached Thumbnails
On designing vernacular architectural models-cottage.jpg   On designing vernacular architectural models-cottage2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2016, 12:25 AM

VK, that oratory is beautiful, it looks identical...I wonder if it kept the weather out. We have remains of similar buildings here in Cornwall. There may be a collapsed well near that desert house, or the equivalent of a dew pond to collect water vapour at night. If the natives are nomads they may only use the hut occasionally. In the UK there are crofts built near to cliffs where they can climb down and collect bird eggs. Very interesting, but there has to be a reason for it being there.

Oh yes, Kevin, I'm collecting all the Brunskill volumes, though IMO the brick volume is pretty useless, I have to go back to his handbook for brick examples. I've also got the rather splendid volume 'The English Country Cottage', by R.I.Brown, it is packed with examples of timber framed buildings. I'm also expecting the companion book by Brown about Kent buildings.

Tex, you'd enjoy the PC game Trainz, you can then build as many railroads as you like, and no need for space...only get the old version 9 as it still benefits from the most compatible support from model makers, and it's much cheaper.

Last edited by Andrew zippy; 03-02-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 AM

Windmill model

Kevin, talking of windmills this is the 3D model post mill I designed back in my render art days. It was great fun to research and construct and is fully animated. The model was featured on the cover of a Netherlands folk group album. I have been working on a second watermill paper model, yet to be completed.
Attached Thumbnails
On designing vernacular architectural models-2.jpg   On designing vernacular architectural models-3.jpg   On designing vernacular architectural models-10.jpg  
Old 03-02-2016, 05:18 AM

@Andrew zippy: Trainz ... hmmm ... well, thank you very much! :-)
Google Adsense

Tags
models, model, original, vernacular, parts, paper, supplement, start, correct, designing, buildings, building, timbers, reality, architecture, frequently, painting, drawing, annoys, end, insist, times, stop, faithful, copies