PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Lockheed C-5 Galaxy design & build

I'm looking for those drawings for a while without success, but I saw them in this forum.

I can see in the pictures all the information I need for try to design a paper model: profile, plant, ribs,details, ...

I love the Galaxy and I would like to design and build a paper model of it.

I tried to contact the author of the model, but invain.

Can someone help me, giving the information where can I find those drawings? I think that they came from a polish magazine, which one is it and where can I buy it? Or If someone got them, can he share them with me?

Thanks in advance, :D

Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here

Last edited by rickstef; 12-01-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanks to the courtesy of a member of this forum I finaly got the drawing that I was looking for.

As soon as I received the drawings, I started trying to draw the model.
Here are some pictures of the first tests.

It is much more difficult to obtain flat surfaces developed that reproduce well the curves of the giant, in comparison with the rectilinear surfaces of the Sopwith.

Now I have a long and difficult road ahead, and I will keep you informed of progress.

Best regards, Nando
Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
Thanks to the courtesy of a member of this forum I finaly got the drawing that I was looking for.

As soon as I received the drawings, I started trying to draw the model.
Here are some pictures of the first tests.

It is much more difficult to obtain flat surfaces developed that reproduce well the curves of the giant, in comparison with the rectilinear surfaces of the Sopwith.

Now I have a long and difficult road ahead, and I will keep you informed of progress.

Best regards, Nando
That looks really good! Is there any way I could get a copy of the drawing, too? I live here in San Antonio and we've got two C-5 squadrons here and a good friend of mine is one of the top training pilots. I'd like to try and build a wooden one sometime from the drawings.

Ryan
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 11.23 MB
Hello!
You will have a lot of work, but for the end the reward will for you the view of the beautiful aircraft, and a great model.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck nando!

Best regards.
Krzychu74
Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
The design is looking great. The nose section looks perfect.

My first encounter with Fat Albert was on my birthday in 1970. The first visit of one to Elmendorf AFB in Alaska, caused a bit of a problem with us fuels troopers.

At the time, the aircraft could only be parked in one area and that area had no hydrant refueling capability. So we had to gas the C-5 with trucks, capable of pushing out 4,500 gallons at a time. Nine truckloads were required to fill it.

Our dispatcher sent out three of us and I was the third. When the first truck was done, it would depart and go to the "fill farm" and resupply, then get in line again. This went on until on the ninth trip, my third, that the flight engineer gave the all full signal.

We we pulled our trucks up the bird to refuel (the single-point receptacles were located in the bulge where the main gear were), we maneuvered our truck along the pilot's side of the fuselage towards the wing, then we would cut the wheel and aim the truck out of the way should it jump into gear (which happened once in a while). The path would take the truck under the wing between the two engines.

It amazed me as to how high the wing was and how large the engine intake was. As the refueling went on, I would stare up at the intake and listen to the fan blades turn, all the time shaking my head as to the size of the entire aircraft.

Not long after we finished refueling the aircraft, it began taxiing to the departure end of the runway. Our entire section went out to the porch to watch the aircraft take-off. To this day I still think I could have out run the C-5 when it finally lifted off. It looked like it was going so slow it would never get airborne.

The next day we were given marching orders...get a quick way to refuel the C-5 as quick as possible. The aircraft would be one of the aircraft the Combat Pacers would handle on the other side of the base.

I was transferred to that side of the base and helped set up a portable refueling system for the C-5 on the far side of the base. After that, the C-5 had minimum ground time, meaning it had to leave as soon as possible. The quickest we were able to turn the aircraft around was 48 minutes, comparable to the turn-around times of bases setup to handle the aircraft.

Years later on a hop from San Antonio to the San Fransisco area, a group of us travelers played a game of half-court basketball in the cargo bay of the bird. Had to hand it to the reservists who set that up in the belly of the beast. 8v)
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2010, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.44 MB
Send a message via AIM to Cybermac Send a message via MSN to Cybermac
Hello!

C-5 model... The idea is great as Fat Albert is great!

Good luck and everything best with your model!

How about scale of your model? 1:72 would be nice!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 AM

Sorry for the delay in answering your kind comments and encouragements.

In those days I was sick and now I'm just taking a bit normal activity.

This pause allowed me to reflect on the project and I decided a more gradual approach. So I started to draw the GE TF-39 (with a drawing I realize all four engines in one go! )

For now I set the scale of the project at 1 / 144. In this way the model should be about 0.50 meters long (near 21 inches), with a wingspan of 0.47 m (near 19 inches).

I think that the 1 / 72 scale, that Cybermac porposed, is very challenging for me: from the engineering point of view (large size involves the design of a structure that would ensure the proper stiffness and dimensional accuracy). On the side of detailing, big model involves bigger accurancy in detailing, more documentation, etc.

I have to resolve a lot of problems in rendering the complex shapes of the Fat Albert, so i think that a more humble attitude would be preferable.

A special thanks to Ashrunner for the first hand tale about the impressive dimension and the difficulties to feed the giant.

For now here attached the first version of the TF-39 1C.

I think that this will be a long ... long-term project.

Best regards, Nando

Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
ooo

this bird looks really nice
Old 11-28-2010, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
great work, but i guess im missing why you keep calling it fat albert? Fat albert is a C-130, if thats the reference you are making...

Old 11-29-2010, 01:04 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Long Term Project...,

Hi Nando,

I can see why you've decided this is a long term project..,

The above is from a surface development exercise performed 3 years ago..., It's one of my long term projects also...,

Both the C-5 Galaxy and the C-130 Hercules are sometimes referred to as "Fat Albert" though it's more usual to hear it for the C-5.

Best regards, +Gil
Google Adsense