PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
I really enjoy the Expanse, it's a good TV program. A model of the main space craft will be a great add to the collection. I only hope I'll have the enough smarts to build it. wc
Old 11-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
wow, nice looking parts so far.
I am looking forward to this.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
I settled on a size. The Roci is supposed to be 46 meters and I'm not sure what that length measures exactly, does it include antennas and so on, but I finally scaled it so it's going to be 46 centimeters total.
I unfolded, arranged the layout, and printed out the first "real" part, the drive section. I tried to account for paper thickness during the design stage, but still ran into some problems while building. Am I happy with the build quality? hell no. Am I going to redo it? well... I'm afraid not. Sadly while I can spend months adding the finishing touches to a 3D model, I seem to lack the patience to construct 16 teensy-weensy support trusses from paper *again*. I am going to pause with construction for a while and fix the problems in the 3D model / paper layout, and maybe after I release the model someone at some point will do it justice.

A problem I ran into was how to unfold a specific part: an octogonal ring. I think I chose the wrong option so I'm bringing it up for discussion: how would you unfold it, option 1, 2 or 3? (in one of the attached images)

Another question: If I release the model, what page size should I aim for? European or American? What do people usually do about this? Only use the paper area common to both? Also, is Letter/A4 the norm or do you print on larger sizes?
Attached Thumbnails
The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.-paper_cutouts.jpg   The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.-completed_drive_section.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:15 PM

I forgot the image!
Attached Thumbnails
The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.-options.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
I settled on a size. The Roci is supposed to be 46 meters and I'm not sure what that length measures exactly, does it include antennas and so on, but I finally scaled it so it's going to be 46 centimeters total.
I unfolded, arranged the layout, and printed out the first "real" part, the drive section. I tried to account for paper thickness during the design stage, but still ran into some problems while building. Am I happy with the build quality? hell no. Am I going to redo it? well... I'm afraid not. Sadly while I can spend months adding the finishing touches to a 3D model, I seem to lack the patience to construct 16 teensy-weensy support trusses from paper *again*. I am going to pause with construction for a while and fix the problems in the 3D model / paper layout, and maybe after I release the model someone at some point will do it justice.

A problem I ran into was how to unfold a specific part: an octogonal ring. I think I chose the wrong option so I'm bringing it up for discussion: how would you unfold it, option 1, 2 or 3? (in one of the attached images)

Another question: If I release the model, what page size should I aim for? European or American? What do people usually do about this? Only use the paper area common to both? Also, is Letter/A4 the norm or do you print on larger sizes?
I have settled for common area between A4/Letter. For larger parts than that I split them up and then glue them back together using some helper parts.

Some make different files for A4 and Letter but that is just too much hassle for me.

Regarding the 3 unfold types, I would go for 2 but that would also depend on how the rest of the build would look like.

Really love what you are doing here. Looking forward to what comes next!
Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Why haven't I heard about this series. Oh, its on cable. I don't have cable. That's right, I don't have a tv either. Guess I should read the book(s).
Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
There's books?!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
There's books?!
Yes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ex...(novel_series)
Old 12-05-2017, 03:35 AM

I read the first book, wasn't too impressed, but it works, for me, so much better as a TV show. As the tech-head and space-enthusiast that I am, I just love the work that they put into making all the space hardware realistic. I scoured the web and the show for information about the ship and they appear to have every deck of this ship planned.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
I think there are 7 books in total now with another 2 already being contracted.

I quite enjoyed the whole series so far. The show is more visually appealing, but they left out big chunks of the story.
Google Adsense