PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 01-07-2018, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 MB
RWD-10 in Blender

After a long break (I had 168,000 unread posts when I logged in - no chance of catching up) I'd like to present my latest, probably ill-fated, project: the RWD-10 aerobatic plane from pre-WWII Poland.
All 20 or so aircraft and the original documentation were lost in the war. What survives is often inconsistent, so the first step was to verify the documentation I have (a scan of plans from Modelarz monthly prepared by the ultimate authority on early Polish aviation, Andrzej Glass). However, the plans aren't perfect, with some relatively obvious internal inconsistencies. That's why wanted to check them against the photos.
Here are my first attempts to match geometry built based on the plans to photos I have access to (all web-sourced):

I'm not sure how to interpret the last one. The pictures could have been distorted in any number of ways, from the original photograph to having things digitally resized for web publication. So now I'm stuck on whether to reject the outlier or to continue trying to massage the camera viewpoints and the geometry to fit all of them together, and assuming that there are no MAJOR distortions. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

The ultimate goal of this project would be a free card model in PDF form. I'm working in Blender both as an exercise to see what it's really capable of and because I'm a big fan of free (as in freedom) software.
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2018, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
I am no expert(?) on design/manufacturing practice, especially this aircraft, so consider this a wild guess. I ass-u-me the plane was hand built on individual basses. Home-built planes are often looked on as "crude" when they are actually lovingly hand built.
The last picture of SP-KLN gives me the impression it is a different model with a different tail.
Wheels seam to shift position slightly but could be size of tire or weight of plane or combination of both.
Don't forget cameras look through a spherical lens so everything is at a changing angle and the computer lines are projected flat.
It is like learning to swim: hold your nose and jump in. Enjoy!

Bob Neill
Old 01-07-2018, 10:28 AM

They're different planes, but they were serially produced in the DWL factory. There are undoubtedly small differences between them, but the only reference to a significant difference in length I could find is the prototype (shorter by 200mm), and none of these pictures show that one. I've been playing with it some more, and by making different assumptions about the various cameras' positions and fields of view I've managed to get much closer alignment. Still not even close to perfect, but significantly better. At some point I'll have to decide that it's close enough based on the available sources and start actually turning it into a model.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nothing to add to the discussion, but this is a great project that I look forward to following.

It was a really good-looking airplane.

Don
Old 01-07-2018, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Camera-matching a model is far from easy, Even with rectangular-shaped models. It took me ages to camera-match a Britten-Norman Islander once, and that's basically a winged shoebox. Getting any two photos to "agree" with such a curved, angled and tapered shape is almost a miracle - I wouldn't worry too much just because a single photo didn't match. You did a magnificent job.
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2018, 06:14 PM

After another round of tweaking, mostly of camera angles but not only, I've got pretty darned close, I think:

Unless someone objects, I'm going to call it good enough for government work.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Go for it.I did one of those years ago from Maly Modelarz kit.It was easier than RWD-8 even if some say it was inaccurate.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:48 PM

Yeah, the MM model is pretty inaccurate (the main thing I noticed is the fuselage, which in the original was built as a box truss, and the model has an oval cross-section). That's part of the reason I wanted to try again - hopefully without making too many new mistakes along the way.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:05 PM

First modeling test with the part I think will be the most challenging - the engine cowling:

And here it is unrollew with Blender's "Paper Model" add-in (1:25 scale):
http://cygielski.com/models/rwd-10/r...ne_cowling.pdf
Old 01-13-2018, 03:57 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
This looks really interesting.

Tags
aerobatic, aircraft, civilian, polish