PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Help Desighn the Iowa

I am new to this sait bau have been admiering all of your work . I have finaly decided to start to model.But I do not wish to spend too much mooney on this hobby I have alwayes wanted like to make a BB Iowa from scratch but i do not own blueprints of that ship . If anybody has a complete set of blueprints to offer free I would offer to try to design the Iowa in SketchUp for him. If i learn to work with Pepakura i'l even build a kit for you all .Just wanting to try out modeling on a beautifull ship.
PS sorry if I am in the wrong thread.
Google Adsense
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM

Starter Model

I have been admiring your handy work the last few months.I want to start modeling a ship but a do not want to invest money in this hobby.I would want to start designing a Iowa but I have no blueprints of it . I have experience modeling in 3D but have never done a paper model.If somebody would be kind enough to give me blueprints of a Iowa or any other interesting warship I would be honored to try to make a model of it and if I learn Paperkua i coult try makinga free kit of it .
Old 07-06-2009, 01:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.00 GB
Hi, i don't know if this helps but there are plenty to choose from:D
Blueprints - Ships > Battleships (US)
Old 07-06-2009, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
What sort of detail level? What scale? For a starter even wikipedia makes a good source of reference...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM

The scale is not important in the design stage . I can design it as a 1/1 and scale down at the push of a button . But the detail that is complicated to explain . How do you explain how detailed it's gonna be ? I have a set of blueprints of the Yamato ( anatomy of the ship), almost complete blueprints of every detail , but it's too much , also I don't want it to feel lacking in detail. For starters the hull would be nice to do , and work up from that.
PS Thx to the mod for taking care of the double posting. I was in a storm and thought I had lost internet connection .
Google Adsense
Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I think that you need to decide the scale before you can really plan a model. If you are going to do a 1/1200 scale model - a lot of the 1:1 design detail becomes single pixels when you shrink it.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 AM

That might be true , but I was thinking of scaling it in sketch up rather than Pepakura . I am thinking of going 1/200 with it. Seems like a nice scale for a BB .
Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Deciding the scale is important but not crucial, as a general guideline, there is about 1mm minimum absolute feature size in any model, smaller and it could be difficult to make for some, larger and the model will appear bare and coarse. Well, 1/200 requires quite an extensive detailing... (Halinski Fuso hint hint :P)
Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 PM

That Fuso is a "little" over the edge, but yes a 1/200 has to be detailed , it shall look interesting on my desk :D Now seriously this FUSO? Wydawnictwo Hali?ski s.c. - Modele kartonowe . the bbs are beautifull at 1/200 but after seing that much detail I’m starting to think something along 1/300 1/400 :D , . Where did you get the blueprint for the Ise? Do you have a idea for a start model to get my skills warmed up, but no those monitors and such small craft, something a little more challenging but still nice looking .
Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 AM

It'll really help if you can get your hands on the Profile Morskie blueprint booklet of the said ship, or some other publication along that line. That will give you most of the detail you need, but for historical accuracy you may need to go further... I'm not sure about modeling magazines, can anyone give a hint on that?
Google Adsense

Tags
blueprints, desighn, design, iowa, learning, modeling, starter