PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Forgive me, but I thought the forum was meant for sharing thoughts, reactions, suggestions? Glad Shadow Cory took my remark the way it was meant.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
okay...keep this going then...ruin the thread some more.
...at least I stayed on topic.

Your "suggestion" was worded like an order (not as a "friendly suggestion").
You questioned Cory's choice ...and then you told him what he should do (by your choice).
If you worded it wrong then you still made the mistake (and still haven't apologized).

(I think) Cory was just respectful enough to let your "suggestion" slide.
I'm not, when it comes to you [if we're being honest].

I have contributed to damaging Cory's thread, and I am sorry for that.
I won't make another comment about this.

Last edited by airdave; 07-11-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Dave I always welcome your view point. I may not agree but that's my choice not matter how wrong you are. Just kidding. Cory was kind enough to help me with this collection I want to build. I've been down sick and had to spend time in the hospital which has taking me away from modeling and not all my modeling equipment is packed away waiting to move. That doesn't mean I can collect and once set up again get back to it and that PT-Boat too. So Super Dave please do not add your two cents when you think you should. wc
Old 07-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I was curious about the Tail wing, on the lower side of the Rocket tail.
*obviously only the lower side when its on Earth. In space in wouldn't matter.
So it seemed like an odd position.
Why not position the wing on top, so its out of danger?
But it looks like the modellers added it as a place to put the track guides
and as a support to steady the model rocket on the Launch Track..

I think you are spot on. On the blueprints I am using as reference it labels that little tail piece as "Rail Support" or something of the like. I think it is there as accessory to the sled the rocket is mounted on.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Risking more of Airdave's comments:
The Delta7Studios model (pictures below) is obviously based on the drawings in the Spaceship Handbook (which I was lucky to buy several years ago for a very reasonable price, when it was still in print - the second hand prices on the internet are really way over the top). The rocket driven sled on the ramp shows there was room enough for the horizontal 'wing'. One can only guess at the way of thinking of the movie designers... Perhaps they thought such a wing was necessary to provide stability while still in the earth atmosphere? The sled and the ramp are obviously inspired by the method of launching the German flying bomb, the V1. At max 400 MPH it really needed wings! It was literally an 'unmanned' plane, not a rocket. Just for comparison: the V2 reached well over 3,500 MPH. But that was the first ballistic missile - no wings needed.
At escape velocity (25,000 mph) such a 'stabiliser' would have been totally superfluous. Perhaps movie props designers (in those days) did not have the knowledge needed for such details...
Attached Thumbnails
Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-spaceark3.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-spacearklaunchramp1.jpg  

Last edited by Diderick A. den Bakker; 07-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-11-2018, 06:45 PM

Yeah, when I design spaceships, or any fictional item, I try to balance the practical and cool sides. It has to look good, but it has to look functional as well. So there's no telling
Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 891.03 MB
Speaking from an aerospace engineer's perspective [electronics, not mechanical, but I still had to learn all of the basic statics and dynamics disciplines] the horizontal component on the lower two fins would seem to be there to add a horizontal force to the fins to preclude them buckling due to a structure that wasn't designed for those loads, horizontal rather than longitudinal which are the loads to be supported during a vertical landing. Although in the movie, the Ark does a belly landing on snow.

Just a thought brought on by having my attention drawn to why it, the horizontal structure connecting the two lower fins, was a part of the vehicle design.

TomW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCory View Post
I think you are spot on. On the blueprints I am using as reference it labels that little tail piece as "Rail Support" or something of the like. I think it is there as accessory to the sled the rocket is mounted on.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Speaking from an aerospace engineer's perspective [electronics, not mechanical, but I still had to learn all of the basic statics and dynamics disciplines] the horizontal component on the lower two fins would seem to be there to add a horizontal force to the fins to preclude them buckling due to a structure that wasn't designed for those loads, horizontal rather than longitudinal which are the loads to be supported during a vertical landing. Although in the movie, the Ark does a belly landing on snow.

Just a thought brought on by having my attention drawn to why it, the horizontal structure connecting the two lower fins, was a part of the vehicle design.

TomW.

Nice to get some more thoughtful and educated input! It's been a little while since I watched it, but if I remember the landing was by the seat of the pants, and was not how they intended it to be. It (the odd tailfin) could very well have been a very important part of the intended landing plan
Old 08-03-2018, 09:18 AM

I finally was able to move on this and have a basic design made. I am now test building and taking photos of each step so hopefully others can build this as well.
I printed out the first five of ten sheets so I could make the rocket body first.
I found all the pieces from the pages that I needed to have for the body and engines at the rear of the ship.
I separated them into sections, scored and cut out the pieces. I used different sized cylindrical objects to help roll the cylenders. To keep the stacks of cylinders and cones aligned, I use the seams and line them up in the same direction.
Inserted the engine pod into the tail end of the body.
Whew! Enough for one day!
Attached Thumbnails
Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_110516.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_110709.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_141246.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_141740.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_143313.jpg  

Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_155739.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_160736.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_162648.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_163224.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_163445.jpg  

Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_164448.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_165514.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_170423.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180802_170437.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 07:43 PM

Today, I cut and assembled the rest of the pieces for the ark's body. I then made one wing and all six of the wing mounted engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180805_141429.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180805_115410.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180805_143052.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180805_194915.jpg   Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180805_115432.jpg  

Space Ark from When Worlds Collide-img_20180805_194931.jpg