PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
Battlestar Galactica (2004) Viper mk II

It's been a while since my first foray into paper model creation and I've been hankering for another one. I considered several possible projects. I love sci fi and fantasy so they were all SF/F oriented.
At first I thought I might try designing a dragon (of the fire-breathing variety). I went as far as having a rough 3D model of a dragon sitting with its wings folded and tail curled. but the details eluded me, as well as how to get from an organic looking model to something I could build. So I shelved that idea to a later date and got back to spaceships.

Next thing I wanted to build was a Star Fury from Babylon 5. I LOVED that show and the design of the starfury is amazing. There were two existing models for download out there - but one was too simplified, and the other way too complex, as if someone just took the 3D file and broke it with no regard to how complex the result. I set out to design my own, only to discover that there's very little in the way of information or screenshots online, as it has never been released in HD, and moreover, the original 3D model was a terrible hack job made back in the Jurassic era of computer modeling. I found some official-looking schematics... none of which agreed with each other when I compared the side, top and front view. And there's precious little on the rear or bottom views... and lastly, I just couldn't figure out the 3D shape and got bogged down in conflicting details. So again, I set that project aside.

Throughout all of this I became familiar with UHU02's models. He made an amazing BattleStar galactica Viper model that got me really excited. I thought maybe I could just build someone else's model... maybe even skip all those wondeful internal details and just get the outside done...but the Viper was no longer available for download.

Ao, what to do? I decided to design my own Viper. Luckily the new Viper was made recently enough that there's a ton of details on line, including plan views, and it turns out it's a relatively easy shape to create.

Here's my plan for going forward:
1. create an easy-to-build basic fuselage
2. have tons of optional details you could add in areas of exposed machinery, cockpit and the engine afterburner can.
3. create a great-looking realistic texture with weathering effects and perhaps some aircraft-like details there were never put in the original, such as access ports and warning labels - I have some first hand experience in this area.

4. Possibly create two/three texture options with varying levels of wear and battle damage.

And lastly... here's what I have so far. I'll keep updating this thread in days to come. I have some vacation time planned and will be able to make some progress soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Battlestar Galactica (2004) Viper mk II-01.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2018, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
now that does look gooooood
Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Yummy! I definitely have to get back to my Mk. I..!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.76 GB
Looks like it's gonna be a nice model!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
It looks like you are off to a very good start! I look forward to seeing how it will turn out.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:31 AM

The conceptual Model is done in 1:1, now I need to scale to 1:33 and begin figuring out how to turn it into paper parts. I've learned to take paper thickness into account and working with 3ds max allows me to assign thickness to polygons and tweak the model to get a better fit in the finalized model with as little trial-and-error as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Battlestar Galactica (2004) Viper mk II-02.jpg  
Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice render Michael.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
wow wow it is goooooooooooooood well done
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
The conceptual Model is done in 1:1, now I need to scale to 1:33 and begin figuring out how to turn it into paper parts.
This is exactly how I have approached the Mk. I. I'm looking forward to seeing your result.
Attached Thumbnails
Battlestar Galactica (2004) Viper mk II-vv5.jpg  
Old 02-05-2019, 11:16 AM

Update: I seem to be stuck.
Here's the thing. I have a 3D model. it looks fine. but I just can't figure out the best way to break it into a paper model that'll hold together. I can't seem to be able to design the formers in a way that'll make sense. There are too many openings in the fuselage (cockpit, landing gear, those open ports on the sides of the nose and turbines), and the fuselage is made from several volumes that connect in very odd ways.

So: are any of you are into taking what I already have so far and making it work? If you can come up with a blank paper model that holds together, I can take it from there and use all of my photoshop texturing skills (not gonna be humble - that's really my strong suit) to complete it. You'll get all of my 3D files and my undying adoration.

Any takers?
Google Adsense