PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-18-2021, 10:51 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
From my research, the brace is a part of ground equipment. There are pictures of it painted red and white stripes, to be easily seen. There are also "bipod" versions. It seems to simply attach at the top, probably secured by a pin.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-18-2021, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
From my research, the brace is a part of ground equipment. There are pictures of it painted red and white stripes, to be easily seen. There are also "bipod" versions. It seems to simply attach at the top, probably secured by a pin.
So that explains the inverted V-shape in the Tintin illustration?!
Old 04-18-2021, 12:49 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Correct Diderick

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-18-2021, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Anti-tipping rod/stand

The piece you are referring to is an anti-tipping support rod/brace/strut/stand. It is commonly used on most larger sized Tri-gear configuration aircraft; jets and props ( as apposed to tail draggers ). That device was usually carried inside the aircraft cargo bay and was removed by the ground crew and placed at the tail to prevent the plane from tipping aft during loading and unloading of passengers and cargo. Some larger operations had those support on the ground already, so when the plane pulled it, it was braced.

Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-tail-rod-install.jpgDouglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-110510-f-vz081-149.jpgDouglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-tail-rod.jpg

All B707 and KC135 B747, 757,767, DC-8,9,10, MD 11 etc..... jets have it as well. You can even see them used today on some aircraft.

it is not as common to see them in use on commercial jets today, but all have that capability.

And every so often you see a jet sitting on its tail during cargo operations when the loadmaster or crew did not properly load or offload the aircraft and the CG moved aft of the main landing gear position.
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-cgaft.jpgDouglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-tail.jpg

So no, it was not part of the aircraft per say, but it was routinely carried inside.

Isaac
Old 04-18-2021, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
Isn't this just the sort of effect the really experienced builder can achieve by weathering? It sounds to me like an extremely painstaking, i.e. time consuming process for the designer. It would definitely push back publication by several months...
Negative. It takes longer to describe than to do.

Glenn
Old 04-18-2021, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I've seen those anti-tipping support rods in one of Person hangars.Those were a lot like drywall telescopic braces but king sized.They work just the same.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:45 AM

Layout and numbering have been completed. Designer Cor van Haasteren is doing the test build, and perfecting some details. As the pictures show, he is approaching the stage where all elements can be joined together. After that he will do the instruction drawings and the recoloring for the American Berlin Airlift version. He writes:
Wing assembly trials showed that the join between fuselage and wing root wasn't perfect. I am still wrestling with this part but it comes closer and closer to fitting OK. The difficulty is caused where the fuselage fairing (around the upper wing) joins the wing end, where flap cavity has some intricate inside curving. There was no drawing to rely on nor good photos, so I had to study the Revell C-54 kit again. This has served me as the main data source, but is a bit difficult to measure as it is 1/72 nd. It seems I am very close to the solution of this part of the build and as the rest of the parts are fitting well I can speed up building now and finish the damn thing...
Windows colour have been changed to a bluish shade and now are less dominant on the fuselage. All kinds of small changes and additions have been made after I encountered a pc crash in which a file was damaged so I had to redesign some parts again from older files.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-nacelle_dry_fitting.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-nacelle_test.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-pa_06.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-wing_construction_trials_1.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-wing_dry_fitting.jpg  

Old 05-23-2021, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
looks awesome!!! just perfection
Old 05-23-2021, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
The carburettor intakes look just like the real thing! Kuddo's, the first model to have this accurately. And the nose in the background is really fantastic. I love the separate flaps and ailerons!
Old 06-23-2021, 03:14 AM

Just to inform you that we are not standing still... The layout has been completed, coloring of KLM and berlin Airlift version (Spirit of Freedom) has also been completed. Cor is now very carefully building the KLM version, checking numbering and fit for each part. Of course this involves small changes: paper thickness is often more important than for less detailed models. Two test builders are now starting to do both models.
Cor is now working on the instruction drawings, often based on the 3D views we showed much earlier on this thread. Slowly but surely...
The pictures show a completed nacelle and propeller being installed on the wing. Fairings for streamlining the airflow are very demanding for the designer.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-engine_nacelle_wing_2-web.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-engine_nacelle_wing_4-web..jpg  
Google Adsense