PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Erik: thank you for your offer - I will certainly take you up on that!
Jim: nothing political about this: it is just history. But remember: it was very much a combined effort in which the United States Air Force, the Royal Air Force, the French Air Force, the Royal Canadian Air Force, the Royal Australian Air Force, the Royal New Zealand Air Force, and the South African Air Force all took part. Of course the DC-4 Skymaster / C-54 was used in great numbers, but many other types of aircraft were involved.

USA planes:
C-47 Skytrain or its civilian counterpart Douglas DC-3
C-54 Skymasters and Douglas DC-4s (330 aircraft, which made them the most used types).
Five C-82 Packets
one YC-97A Stratofreighter 45-59595

British planes:
Avro Lancaster
Avro Lincoln
Avro York
Avro Tudor
Avro Lancastrian
Bristol Type 170 Freighter
Douglas DC-3 (Dakota)
Handley Page Hastings
Handley Page Halifax Halton
Short Sunderland
Vickers VC.1 Viking

This illustrates the 'danger' of becoming interested in a subject: it becomes more and more fascinating, and Google and Wikipedia makes it easy!

Last edited by Diderick A. den Bakker; 04-20-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
Still not decided on the scale? In my opinion, 1/50 would be good.
Peter:
The scale is the least (and last!) of our worries. The final drawings are made in great detail and very large size. Once they are all completed, parts are scaled down to a suitable scale and arranged to fit American Letter size paper (a little smaller than A4 as used in the rest of the world), and that is when we can decide on the final scale. Of course this means that larger parts (wings, spars) may have to be cut up to fit the paper size...
Larger scale plane models, especially popular with some Polish publishers, are very attractive - but also very expensive in (home) printing and in the mail: another good reason for using Letter / A4 size.
And yes, for a plane this size 1/50 seems a good choice. For people who want a larger or smaller version, we always add percentages to our instructions to enlarge (or diminish) the scale in printing - of course a printshop will have to use larger size paper.

And talking about suitable plans: Cor has done quite a few Dutch streamline Diesel trains. Drawings and photographs were no problem - but never a picture from above... in the end, we had to use pictures of HO railway models.

Anyone interested in trains: my site has pictures. Go to zeistbouwplaten.nl, page Transport, series Paper Trade.
Many more pictures on papermodelsinternational.tumblr.com/ - please contribute by sending me pictures of your own models?
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-18-november-2006-060.jpg  

Last edited by Diderick A. den Bakker; 04-20-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Here are some pictures of the landing gear. Some are from a DC-6 Inspection book, but they are similar to the DC-4.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-main-gear-doors.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-main-gear.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-nose-wheel-doors.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-nose-gear.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-nose-gear-retraction.jpg  

Old 04-21-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
Here are some pictures of the landing gear. Some are from a DC-6 Inspection book, but they are similar to the DC-4.
Thank you! Have sent them on to Cor.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 AM

Step 3 - basic drawing in 2D.
So the first two steps of the process (choosing what to design, and gathering information) have been completed: Cor has enough to get going with.

# 1, 2 and 3.
First of all, the original printed Three-View-Plan has to be converted for use on the computer - allowing vectors and coordinates to be used. (These make it possible to decide the exact position of a point anywhere in the plan - rather like latitude and longitude on a map, but with the third dimension added). Cor uses 3DMax and Autocad at this stage.

Step 4 - from 2D to 3 D.
Now one has to make the transition to a 3D image. I cannot explain how the computer does that, but it has got to be something like this: imagine we want to build a real model with just the three-view-plan - wood? RC? Here we go.
- use the half frames to make complete frames. Carefully mark the horizontal and vertical lines, and make a pin prick where these lines cross. Cut them out and mark them according to the Plan: A, B, C etc.
- find a piece of stiff metal wire or thin rod, just a bit longer than the fuselage in the Plan. Carefully mark the position of the frames on the rod, then slide frames in position, keeping them all nicely vertical. Use thin paper to cover the skeleton and you end up with an acceptable 3D model.

Even without actually doing this, you will now have good (and correct!) idea in your mind's eye of what the model is going to look like. This the principle behind the conversion of any part of the model from 2D to 3D. Wings, engine nacelles, cabin windows...

Basically, this is what the designer does on the computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-douglas-dc-4_c-54-three-view-plan-low-res-version.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-dc4_1-opzet.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-dc4_2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2019, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Thank you very much for sharing all this information. It is really very interesting. I have heard that card models are similarly designed as full size aircraft? I have also read that on times before computer, the full size aircraft had to be made including formers etc. after being conceived on paper using wood or other materials. Really an engineer's work only.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
I am enjoying this information greatly. I’ve never seen this process done before. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Best of luck with your project.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Diderick, referring to scon10's post, I just sent you a couple of pictures of a DC-6 which I took years ago at Rotterdam Airport, amongst others with details of the landing gear. Perhaps you find them useful for your project! Very interesting to follow. We use AutoCAD at work by the way, it's a drafting program used by piping designers for e.g. designing chemical plants and oil refineries.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 04-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Hello everybody. Very good project. Very interesting plane. I think it can be useful consider try to develop this model in Blender software. There is a mechanical version for engineering. Look here: Mechanical Blender - Improvements on blender focused on mechanical desing and engineering
Old 04-21-2019, 03:22 PM

Petestein, Scon10, Erik, Chichacerro (via pm): I am being flooded with pictures and all sorts of information - all extremely interesting, and with useful information and pictures. Thanks! And it is also nice to hear that people are really interested in this report on creating a paper model. Thanks again.
Google Adsense