PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
Many more pictures on papermodelsinternational.tumblr.com/
Ah; tumblr is 1 of the only 2 social media websites I'm on, will go look.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Dc4

My name is Scott I'm from Canada just found this thread would be interests red in a dc4m2 or canadair north star or a Boac arganaught these were built in canada starting with the dc4 but had rolls royce merlin v12s instead of the p&w radials would like to see a good dc4 thanks
Old 04-22-2019, 04:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Now that I have so many people's attention, a question: another long term idea (mind: not a plan - yet) is the Boeing B-377 Stratocruiser... If anyone has useful information please contact me! (pm, or via my site zeistbouwplaten.nl)
Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM

On multiple curvatures and optical illusion. How did Tintin’s lunar rocket get in here?

A few remarks from designer Cor van Haasteren made me realise I should have said something about this in step 3, April 21.

We all know that paper curves beautifully in one direction, but not in two: it does not stretch, and will tear if you try this. Tintin’s rocket has a beautiful fluent curve horizontally (in other words, it is perfectly round on any level of the fuselage), but paper does not allow an extra fluent curve vertically.

# 4, 5, 6, 7: Fortunately our eyes (and the corresponding part of our brains) are easily cheated – we see what we expect to see, and it takes some closer scrutiny to notice the difference. (Nice off-topic example: which do you see first in # 4, the young girl, or the old woman? Be quiet, Freud! Now blink and you will see the other woman).

Back to Tintin. Everyone knows that the spaceship has a lovely fluent line – at first sight no one sees that the fuselage actually consists of a number of straight sided segments. You have to enlarge it quite a bit to make this visible (download it, then open it in Photoshop or similar). The picture of the nacelle shows that the more segments the designer makes, the better the impression of a really fluent line. The third picture is just another example – the cupola consists of a number of narrow ‘leaves’, each of them flat. The more leaves the better the final impression. To a computer designer, a ball consists of umpteen orange wedges.

In other words: one of two curves always consist of a number of straight lines.

Now back tot he first two pictures in Step 3:
# 1 and # 2: In # 2, Cor has converted the pen-and-paper drawing to a digital file. It sounds so simple, but is actually a whole lot of work. In his own words: ‘I used Illustrator to change the original drawings into a digital file, making use of all other sources such as other drawings and photographs’. Look closely, and you will see the suggestion of uninterrupted curves, whereas in reality, every segment is a sort of little box with straight sides, and the fuselage consists of a number of such 'boxes'.

Checking and comparing all measurements in different scale drawings – just imagine the patience and time this requires.

More in the next instalment.

PS: the Tintin model was designed by Jason Sutton. Contact me if you are interested.
For more pictures, go to papermodelsinternational.tumblr.com/, look for science fiction/
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-my_wife_and_my_mother_in_law_of_w_h_hill.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-tintin-1.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-tintin-2.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-tintin-3.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-1-douglas-dc-4_c-54-three-view-plan-low-res-version.jpg  

Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-2-dc4_1-opzet.jpg  

Last edited by Diderick A. den Bakker; 04-22-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
There used to be a cone developping programme, made by Mr Siatki. The first version could make a 2d lay-out of a trapezial cilinder, such as a tailcone. You entered the diameter of the top cross section, the height of the cone, and the diameter of the bottom cross section. Press the button and voilä: a correct segment in bmp was displayed. Then came version 4, and now the cone could be non-prismatic ("skewed" if that is correct English). That version needed to be paid to Mr Siatki. It is still on the internet,and it looks very impressive, and I wanted to buy it, but alas, Mr Siatki has discontinued the availability. It could be helpful for the engines, which are circular, if any one could make this cone developper available again. If any one has this version 4 available, I would very much to buy it.
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
"Siatki" is in fact a Polish word that translates as "Nets"
For "trapezial cone" substitute "right circular cone" and call it "truncated" if you only want part of it.
For "non-prismatic/skewed cone" substitute "oblique cone"
And perhaps
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ecalc&hl=en_AU
looks like it might work for what you want but I haven't tried it myself since I don't need to.

Diderick
That's quite an unusual web page you have there. Does it ever manage to load fully ?
Old 04-23-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post

Diderick
That's quite an unusual web page you have there. Does it ever manage to load fully ?
I axpect you are referring to my collection of pictures on papermodelsinternational.tumblr.com/

You have to keep scrolling down; alternatively. go to Archives or enter any tag you like totry at the top of the page. Fun and games!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
@ Maurice
Thanks for the explanations, you apparently understood my meaning.
Unfortunately, the link you provided does not work for non-android appliances, such as a W7 pc. I'll keep searching.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
PS: the Tintin model was designed by Jason Sutton. Contact me if you are interested.

Diderick, Jason had to take his model down because Moulinsart, the Estate of Hergé, threatened him with severe legal actions. He didn't sell it, he just offered it for download. So he took it offline. He of course could have kept offering it below the counter, so to speak, but as he was threatened with a lawsuit, he decided not to. I apparently downloaded the model just before it went offline, many years back. When I sent him pictures of my finished build of the rocket, he more or less made me promise to never distribute the model. I have had tons of beggars on my blog asking for the model but I have always declined, because of that promise. And now I see you offer to do just that? Did he make other agreeements with you?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:23 PM

OMG! Kosmonaut: see my pm. You are right: I shouldn't have added that 'offer', I did not think. I am now preparing myself for a barrage of abusive comments from other members of the forum, however 'off topic' this may be. By the way: it has been on my site (on the page SF, information only) for at least ten years, and in all that time I have had just one or two reactions...
Google Adsense