PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-24-2019, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.8 KB
Modular Engine Series

Hey all, so I sat down today and spent some time designing a model, I wanted to make a detailed functioning model... but in the most simple way possible. The model is a modular set of engine parts that will be able to make a multitude of engine layouts. Currently in the pictures it is in a cross plane crankshaft hemi layout. So far this is about 6 hours in and I'm at a point where i am stumped... I wanted to make a pushrod hemi but anyone that know the operation of a pushrod v8 will know that you severely pushing the limits of what paper can do. I know it can be done but i would have to do so in a way that it defeats the whole "simple yet complex" thing I'm striving for haha.

I will continue my work on this in an hour or so, I need a break...
Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions or concerns let me know!

Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2019, 07:39 PM

Well I'm a little peeved but relieved.. last night I was working on this project and I made new hemi pistons with valve reliefs. I also started to make a head and valves, I was almost finished with the ports and I passed out watching netflix and my computer went into an auto update (thanks windows 10 for your constant updates). So about 2 hours ago I decided to re-tackle the head and I also simplified the crankshaft and THE DANG POWER WENT OUT, many of expletives were loudly uttered. So I then said screw it I'll do the head some other time, so I took it easy for today and remade the pistons and re simplified the crankshaft.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Interesting. Since you're not going with pushrods is it going to be a sohc set up like Ford used for the 427?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:52 PM

Honestly the thought hadn't crossed my mind, I think I can make a set of heads for that since this is going to be a modular set of parts. I'll look into it and look more into pushrods. Everything will have to be gear driven though.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The Ford used a timing chain set up, although aftermarket gear drives were available for it later.
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2019, 10:34 PM

Yeah I know, I'd like to run a belt but to make a flexible enough belt out of paper it would have to be thin, I fear it would be too thin to be strong, because I fear that the friction would lead to belt tearing.. I already took tolerances into account but it probably would still pose a problem, whether its a tearing issue or the belt jumping teeth on the gears.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
coooooooooooollllllllll a paper model engine! and nice start for and engine made out of 100% paper!
Old 05-26-2019, 02:57 PM

Thanks michael! I've been going on the cylinder head... again for a little while and so far heres the result

Im still planning out the rockers, rocker shafts and stands, also contemplating the camshaft layout and a few other things, but I should have an update in the next few hours
Old 05-26-2019, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am new to this sickness you guys have, but very interested. Is it not acceptable to use a rubber band for the belt or tooth picks for the pushrods? I go to miniature gas engine shows so I understand authenticity. I met a guy that made all his own hardware because it wasn't cool to buy it. And he cut all his threads on a lathe, no dies.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:00 PM

Glad to see your interested. Rubberbands would be a good idea its just, the only downside would be stretching and slipping, when it comes to engine timing you dont want the timing to slip because it causes catastrophic failure.. well in this case it will just cause the engine to bind and not be able to turn haha. I was thinking about using barbecue skewers wrapped in paper to make the pushrods, but i may scrap the pushrod head and go with Whulsey's idea and going with the ford 427 cammer style of head, due to the rocker geometries I'm currently dealing with

The blue red lines represent intake, and exhaust pushrods, the purple, and dark red represent the rocker arms, and the brown shows the pivot points on the rocker shafts

Google Adsense