PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 08-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Ocean liner SS "Canberra"

Hello everyone,

Beginning new thread: SS “Canberra”
by Mr. “Herky’s” request and my own intention

SS Canberra was an ocean liner, which later operated on cruises, in the P&O (Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company) fleet from 1961 to 1997. She was built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard (the same that build Olympic, Titanic and Britanic) in Belfast, Northern Ireland. She entered service in May 1961, and made her maiden voyage starting in June. In the 1982 Falklands War she served as a troop ship.

Length: 820 feet (250 m)
Beam: 103 feet (31 m)
Draught: 32 feet (9.8 m)
More information you may find at wikipedia and other sourcers.

The model.
Surprisingly it was possible to get high quality and very detailed deck plans + section (Thanks Herky for showing the link). As a result it is a good start to create a decent model.
The “architecture” of Canberra comparing to Mauretania is far more streamline but not as “higt-tech” like today’s cruise liners. Canberra still had that elegant curvature throughout the length. I believe that this model might be easier and less complex than Maurentania. So it is important for me to create ship model as much accurate and as much simple to build at the same time.

Now I’m preparing 3D environment – importing blueprints and other information. But one pre-start question still isn’t resolved. What scale? Somehow I’m still willing to make 1/250 despite the fact that once I’ve got a remark that such scale isn’t standard (especially in east Europe where ship models goes with 1/100, 200, 300…). I’m thinking that 1/250 would be ideal because 1/200 would require even more detailing and arise problems to put parts in A4 sheets. Please give me your suggestions?

Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
1/250 sounds like an ideal solution Sharuna. Not as large and detailed a 1/200 and not as small and more difficult to build as 1/300.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Quick look through ship kits at Marcle Models Card Model KIt Catalogue should reassure you that there's lots of 1:250 offerings and that it is a perfectly valid scale option. Gives a reasonable size of model too.
Glad to see you underway with this project.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yep, 1:250 is a good scale. Most of the ship models offered by HMV are 1:250 scale. The RMS Mauretania model you offered is 1:250 so it would be nice to have SS Canberra at the same scale.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Great to see a paper model of 'The Great White Whale' at last. She's long overdue the recognition she deserves, and I hope you'll do her proud.

Why she was called TGWW though, I'll never know ... even scruffed up and rusty on her return from the Falklands, she still looked beautiful to me.

I never got to ride on her ... I was next door on the QE2, but I'll be following this thread with nearly as much interest as Herky.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2014, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 123.55 MB
Hi sharunas, 1:250 would be great, lots of books and images of this classic.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
Hello everyone,

SS Canberra was an ocean liner, which later operated on cruises, in the P&O (Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company) fleet from 1961 to 1997. She was built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard (the same that build Olympic, Titanic and Britanic) in Belfast, Northern Ireland. She entered service in May 1961, and made her maiden voyage starting in June. In the 1982 Falklands War she served as a troop ship.

The model.
Surprisingly it was possible to get high quality and very detailed deck plans + section (Thanks Herky for showing the link). As a result it is a good start to create a decent model.
The “architecture” of Canberra comparing to Mauretania is far more streamline but not as “higt-tech” like today’s cruise liners. Canberra still had that elegant curvature throughout the length. I believe that this model might be easier and less complex than Maurentania. So it is important for me to create ship model as much accurate and as much simple to build at the same time.

Now I’m preparing 3D environment – importing blueprints and other information. But one pre-start question still isn’t resolved. What scale? Somehow I’m still willing to make 1/250 despite the fact that once I’ve got a remark that such scale isn’t standard (especially in east Europe where ship models goes with 1/100, 200, 300…). I’m thinking that 1/250 would be ideal because 1/200 would require even more detailing and arise problems to put parts in A4 sheets. Please give me your suggestions?

she was designed as a liner rather than a cruise ship.hence she does not have the ugly appearance of more modern cruiseships that are spoilt by the insistance to have balconies on the outside cabins which means they tend to end up lookingf like tower blocks.even queen mary 2 suffered this redesign and looks nothing as she was originally intended
Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Great to see a paper model of 'The Great White Whale' at last. She's long overdue the recognition she deserves, and I hope you'll do her proud.

Why she was called TGWW though, I'll never know ... even scruffed up and rusty on her return from the Falklands, she still looked beautiful to me.

I never got to ride on her ... I was next door on the QE2, but I'll be following this thread with nearly as much interest as Herky.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.
for next door should i read ascension island??
Old 08-15-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Yep, 1:250 is a good scale. Most of the ship models offered by HMV are 1:250 scale. The RMS Mauretania model you offered is 1:250 so it would be nice to have SS Canberra at the same scale.
1;250 would work fine for her
Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
Hello everyone,

The model.

i will spend the weekend going through my photos of her and post what i have if that will help.for anyone who wants to read up on her she has her own site at sscanberra.com
Google Adsense