PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-09-2020, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
Dd-793

Hi All;

Having walked by the USS Cassin Young nearly every week since 2000, it finally dawned that this subject would make an interesting new project. The ship started as a late Fletcher class vessel, which was retired after WWII then recommissioned for the Korean War. Shge was later refitted and retired in 1960. In 1978 she was moved to the Boston Navy Yard and after substantial refit opened to the public in 1981 as a museum. This is where she remains today.

Typically, research for the design of a card model became complicated because refit turned her into a unique vessel. Over time hundreds of photographs were taken. When taking pictures for design, the shots are considerably different from most that usually see because you are shooting for unique details.

There are plenty of drawings readily available drawing of WWII Fletchers, but this vessel is substantially different. Finally, by last June there was enough information gathered to start drawing. Actual test building began in January of this year. It took considerable cut, past, tear apart and redesign before the hull was correct. It is sufficiently accurate now to generate a complete model, even though detail design is incomplete. Here are a few shots of the first prototype. The colors vary considerably because the ship is always under preservation and actual paint samples were not obtained until last week.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
Dd-793-017.jpg   Dd-793-117.jpg   Dd-793-123.jpg   Dd-793-016.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-09-2020, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
That's pretty neat!
Old 03-12-2020, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Gotta love DDs
Admittedly partly because Dad and Grandad were on them.

Someone I knew several decades ago and a thousand miles from here once said they liked destroyers because, "They look very nautical."

Playing in Google looking for pictures of it found this article from 2011 where at the time it had an uncertain future, WWII destroyer, Pearl Harbor relic Cassin Young faces last battle - The Boston Globe
Quote:
... Today, the ship sits high and dry on blocks in the Charlestown Navy Yard, the national park that has been its home for more than 30 years. For most of that time, the USS Cassin Young DD-793 was moored in the harbor at the end of a pier. About a year ago, it was moved into Dry Dock 1 for what was supposed to be a less-than-six-month, $3.3 million overhaul. But about four months and more than $2 million into the job, the National Park Service halted work – the hull was in far worse shape than anyone had expected. The Park Service hired Ocean Technical Services of Gloucester, an engineering consultant, to survey the vessel’s condition. “The ship can no longer stay afloat without additional repairs,” the firm bluntly stated in a report.

According to the consultant, making the Cassin Young seaworthy enough to remain afloat for another half century would cost as much as $18.7 million. That’s nearly double the entire annual operating budget of the National Park Service in Boston. ...
Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 PM

re. DD-793

Hi Everyone;

DD-793 is in the water and in excellent condition today. The budgetary woes were overcome and the necessary work, which will keep her in good health, has been completed.

Regards rjccjr
Old 07-02-2020, 02:19 PM

DD-793 update

Hello all;

One thing about the COVID-19 menace is that it has resulted in plenty of time to go nowhere. That translates into plenty of time to draw. DD-793 is nearly complete and is now nineteen pages of drawings. From the looks of them, they should fit together pretty well. As we all know looks can be deceiving. What needs to be done is to get going and build the prototype. Truthfully this train got derailed. Much of the equipment on the USS Cassin Young is easily translatable to The USS Juneau and has revived interest in that project even though it is so large that I'd have nowhere to put it. Research and design is more interesting than actual construction. A fine state of affairs but true. Perhaps it's a case of builders doldrums. Sooner or later a breeze will come along and construction will be resumed. For the moment, here are three pages of a DD-793 mosaic, which will provide an accurate 1/192 side profile when printed out and matched.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
Dd-793-c-pro-fwd.jpg   Dd-793-c-pro-mid.jpg   Dd-793-c-pro-stern.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2020, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Whichever way the wind blows, we will be fascinated to watch!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:48 PM

DD-793 update

Hi All;

For those of you who have ever hit the dreaded builders block and didn't want to give up the hobby completely here is a story for you. Years ago before arthritis got me, I was a runner committed to at least four miles a day every day, all year round. The experience taught two vital lessons. First, it is a test of stamina, not patience. Second, no matter how foul the weather, get out and do it. With careful planning after ten minutes at ten degrees and snow you actually get to be quite comfortable in a relative sort of way. What has this got to do with DD-793? Plenty. After weeks of drawing the urge to build had departed. Procrastination set in. About two weeks ago, I simply went over to the bench and started construction disregarding whether I wanted to not. Guess what. Breeze up. Doldrums gone. On with the show.

First up was to strip everything off the old build down to the frames and side plates. Then reconstruct with the new color correct and more accurate parts. The first shot shows the new weather deck, after deck house, and bulkheads forward. Secondly, comes a frontal shot of same. Third is all three deck house sections in place. It took hours of pouring over photographs to get the shapes right. Fourth shows the level two structures going into place. These are much different from a World War II configuration. The last shot shows the aft twin 40 MM foundation, the mid Quad 40 MM foundations and bridge house in place. One nice thing is that in the shop I can build at the work table and run over to the computer to correct the drawings as I go along. Next on tap test build the five inch turrets and stacks. That part is undoubtedly going to be nasty. Started a separate set of drawings so the ship as it was just before retirement can be built as well as the present day configuration.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
Dd-793-1011.jpg   Dd-793-2010.jpg   Dd-793-3001.jpg   Dd-793-4008.jpg   Dd-793-5012.jpg  

Old 07-12-2020, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What scale is this?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
are you happy with the Bofors you have? My father was enamored of that gun (he was a gunnery officer) so I tried to spend a little extra time and effort on them. I have the model of his Gearing Class ship, I can take a closeup if you are at all on the fence. I started with ecards Higbee.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:37 AM

DD-793 update

HI All;

DD-850, CL-52 and DD-795 are all in 1/192 scale. Probably mention of it was not clear in the earlier post with the profile. As for the Bofors, the build is not far enough along to really consider that, yet. There is one twin mount and two quad mounts. There are certainly other problems ahead. For example, Early this morning, the five inch page and the stack page were hauled out for test fitting. Never got to the Five Inchers. On close inspection, just about the entire stack page has to be redrawn. There was a problem with the fit of the stack trunk, which of course telescopes through the entire assembly and threw the dimensions of the stacks off. Par for the course. The revision is in mid course at the moment. Having been through this with just about every model designed, it's expected. at some point or other. Sometimes more than once. Here is a sample of the current small weapons page, just so you can see what is going on to date. Right now it's hard to tell whether I'm in front of the fence, over it, or hung up on it. It will be months before I get to it. One good thing is that I live in an area where the ship is easily accessible, so photos are not a problem.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
Dd-793-14-small-guns.jpg  
Google Adsense