PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-27-2020, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
B9 Robot, but bigger than before.

Started on a larger B9 Robot design. Making it bigger so I can add a little more detail. Also to make room for some lights or other little gimmicky things. Y'all know how I like to add gimmicky things to my paper models (Btw, I'm still working on my walking tankbot model. It's just real slow going, trying to get the programming stuff to work. But that;s another story, lol)

Anyhoo, I found some real sweet schematics for the B9, so I am making the 3D model using those as reference. (Did you know there's like a whole sub culture of people who build B9's for fun? I mean life size, working versions. It's pretty amazing.)

I'm about 90% done with the model, so I started laying out some parts in Pepakura. I have one "foot" done. As you can see the model will be about twice as large as SurfDuke's design. The thin, flat pieces and bellows are going to use laminated strips and sheets as opposed to boxing them out.
For strength, I ran the "ankle" as a full box through the "foot", which was pretty weak structurally by itself. I'm kinda refining things as I go along so things may change in the final design.
Attached Thumbnails
B9 Robot, but bigger than before.-screenshot-2020-03-28-00-15-45.jpg   B9 Robot, but bigger than before.-screenshot-2020-03-28-00-07-12.png   B9 Robot, but bigger than before.-screenshot-2020-03-28-00-08-38.jpg   B9 Robot, but bigger than before.-img_20200327_230742.jpg   B9 Robot, but bigger than before.-img_20200327_230803.jpg  

B9 Robot, but bigger than before.-img_20200327_234504.jpg   B9 Robot, but bigger than before.-img_20200327_234515.jpg  
Old 03-28-2020, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Rock on my friend.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 589.46 MB
B9 Robot

Hello ShadowCory

I am really glad that you are re-designing your model and that you are making it much larger and more accurate. The B9 is one of my favorite robots and I would love to build a model in card and I hope that you may release your model
when you have built it.

SIncerely

Tom
Old 03-28-2020, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 193.89 MB
Looks amazing. My I ask what software you use for design ?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:12 AM

Thanks, guys! I use Blender, Pepakura,and Inkscape to design most of my paper models. I used to use Maya, but since Blender released 2.8, I have switched over to Blender because the poly creation tools are very similar, the sculpting tools even better, and the real time rendering of the interface is easier to set up and use than it is with Maya. There are tools to unfold in Blender, but Pepakura is a deal at under $50 for how powerful it is, and it is easier for me to edit the flaps and connected edges, etc. So I use that. Now a days, you can even export the unfolded mesh back out of Pepakura with the flattened models UV map in place. That's good for going back in the 3d program to fix or edit the texture files.
I had the the thought- Since it's early on in the process, I should publish the pages here, with text explanations, and anyone who wants, can build along with me. Refining the models and basically writing a "how to" manual as we go. This whole thread can be an assembly manual. But a live one, where people who are building along could make suggestions for improvements, better techniques and such could get them put right into the design as we go. Instead trying to shoehorn changes in after the fact.
What do you guys think?
Also, I move pretty slow, so I think most could keep up. Maybe even be a little too slow for some, but it is what it is. I'll put the pages right here in the thread as svg files. That way anyone could at the very least, install Inkscape and print the size paper they would like to. Or save a s pdf, etc.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:16 AM

I think that would be awesome !! I would love to give it a try !
Old 03-28-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoosnopro View Post
I think that would be awesome !! I would love to give it a try !
Awesome! I'll start with some software links-
Blender 3D
Video tutorial to do your own unwraps in blender

Inkscape Vector File editing software

Those are all free, open source softwares.
Here is a link to Pepakura, which is not free, but is cheap in terms of the good job it does with papercraft editing. It's actually only $38 usd.

Those are all for if you want to "roll your own" models. I'll include the 3d files in any documents I generate.
I'll post the pages and step by steps beginning this evening....So stay tuned, buy the ticket, take the ride.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:16 AM

Will load all this up when I get home . YEEE HAAA
Old 03-28-2020, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 589.46 MB
B9 Robot

Hi Shadow Cory

Would like to join in and build with you please. Hope you won't mind an observation, the inner treads are thinner than the outer ones and the panel lines are raised.

Best

Tom
Old 03-28-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mache777 View Post
Hi Shadow Cory

Would like to join in and build with you please. Hope you won't mind an observation, the inner treads are thinner than the outer ones and the panel lines are raised.

Best

Tom

I don't mind at all. Since I was going by the schematics I found, they show as equal sizes there, but the beauty of this shared endeavor is that after I post a few pages ( doing them up now), anyone can add to, change or refine the design as we go along. We can figure out how to handle branching and merging as we go.
Also, before we get too far in to it, my plan is t o make a blank white card version, and apply paint afterwards. Anyone can fell free to add a pre-colored version of the parts pages. That's just how I enjoy my card modelling. I know some will like a color version for printing an I hope someone will undertake that as we go. Peace- out. I'll post up more later...