PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 08-26-2020, 02:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Armored fighting vehicles are not well represented in card models. If you thumb through any decent tank encyclopedia you will find more vehicles without representation than ones existing in some form as a card model.

It is difficult to make a suggestion because personal tastes vary so widely but I can nominate a few popular interesting subjects:

M32 Tank Recovery Vehicle: These were built on new and refurbished M4 series tank hulls. The first series of vehicles featured a slab sided turret. Later vehicles incorporated a rounded turret and more robust A-Frame boom. Modelers typically incorporate M32s into dioramas, recovering some other vehicle.

US Marines M4A2 or M4A3 tank: US Marine tankers in the Pacific faced constant close assault situations and quickly learned to cover their armored vehicles with additional defenses. During island assaults M4 tanks regularly wore wading trunks, wood planking, log armor, iron cage work, penny nails welded to hatches, and hundreds of sand bags.

Bergepanther (tank recovery Panther): During World War II, the engineers of Panzer Jäger Abtielung 653 (Tank destroyer battalion 653) were notorious for creating one off vehicles using scavenged parts. They briefly fielded a Panther with a fixed Panzer IV turret, used as a tank recovery vehicle. They also fielded a T34 with a flakvierling in place of the turret and a Panther with a flakvierling in place of the turret.

ALKETT VsKfz 617 MINENRÄUMER: Modelik produced a model of this vehicle but I have not seen it in some time. During World War II, the Germans experimented with various means of clearing minefields including this very large, very unlikely vehicle that never saw service. It was ultimately captured by the Russians.

T18 Boarhound: This World War II era armored car belongs to the same family of vehicles including the much more well known T1E1 Staghound. It was developed as a heavy armored car but rising costs and the end of World War II meant that only a handful ever saw service.

T28 Super Heavy Tank: Only two of these monsters reached Europe as part of the Zebra Mission before the end of World War II. The Germans always get credit for fielding gigantic tanks but the Americans also made a go at it. This would ultimately lead to the M103.

If you prefer modern stuff, the current era of asymmetric battles have spurred the development of a dizzying array of mine clearing tanks and mine resistant armored cars, some with very heavy cage work reminiscent of slat armor used during World War II. I am personally fond of the Buffalo.

If you are looking for something more mainstream, I second the suggestion above for an M47. That tank say service almost everywhere in a very wide variety of camouflage schemes and markings. It fought in many of the Arab Israeli wars. It fought during the Suez Canal crisis. It fought in the wars between India and Pakistan. It even fought more recently in Bosnia. Iran and Spain apparently still use them! Also, Arnold Schwartzenegger owns one!

Anyway, I have no idea if any of that helps but good luck making a decision. I am taking a break from redrawing an E25 to write this post.

Tags
ideas, models, suggestions, world of tanks