Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 09-05-2021, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Finston View Post
Another improvement which wouldn't take too much effort would be to put labels for the lines for the declination and right ascension on the models. I'll probably do this next.
I've done this now. I've also changed all the right ascension and declination values to hours, minutes, seconds and degrees, minutes, seconds, respectively, and updated the file https://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/g...lstsph1_a4.pdf with the star information to reflect this as well.

I forgot to put the real and apparent magnitudes into the latter file. I may not get to this tonight anymore, but I'll try to do it tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Finston View Post
I forgot to put the real and apparent magnitudes into the latter file. I may not get to this tonight anymore, but I'll try to do it tomorrow.
I've done this now. I've also added the names of the constellations.
https://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/g...lstsph1_a4.pdf

I've decided not to add markings for stitches for sewing the models together for the time being. It would be kind of a lot of work and I'd rather see if it works well to put the models together without them first.

I realized that the problem of scaling is not as hard as I thought: I can simply scale the EPS (encapsulated PostScript) files containing the images when I include them in the TeX file. To make a version with more stars, I could just use the same code and magnify the images to a larger scale. The practical limit upwards using a normal copier or printer would be one section per DIN A3 page, which would make for a pretty big model.

The only problem with this approach is that the fonts I use for the labels will also simply be scaled, whereas the different design sizes for the Computer Modern fonts I'm using have different proportions. For example, Computer Modern Roman 5pt has quite different proportions from CMR 12pt. However, considering how much work it is to adjust the size and position of the labels, I think this is kind of a fine point. For very large versions, it might pay to use different font sizes.

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 09-06-2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:55 PM

I have now added markings for stitching the models together. I've also changed the color of the edges from dark gray to black. The updated plans are here: https://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/g...s/clstsph1.pdf
Old 10-05-2021, 09:50 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
I'll print that off and bring ti to my teacher!
Old 10-06-2021, 01:58 AM

At the copyshop they told me that the toner would run on the white-on-black versions and that the fine lines and small type in white wouldn't come out well. At that shop they didn't offer printing in white on black paper.

I plan on looking into whether a real print shop (if such a thing still exists) can print white-on-black better. There's no comparison between toner and real printer's ink, anyway.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
I'll print that off and bring ti to my teacher!
If you haven't done this yet, you should download the PDF file again. I've just corrected an error I found: There were some dotted labels on the spherical biangles that I'd forgotten to turn off.

The timestamp on the corrected version is 6 Oct 2021 3:53 p.m. (at the upper right hand corner on each page). You may have to reload the web page (i.e., the PDF file), if your browser's cached it.

It's not so terrible if the dotted labels are on there. The labels lie outside the model. The dots are worse, but they are small, lie on the edges and aren't so noticeable.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:32 PM

The photos show the spherical biangles after having been cut out. I've creased the tabs and pricked holes for the stitches. I printed out the plans on 170g paper.

I bought the small awl and the felt mat at a hobby and crafts shop a long time ago. I think I bought them for using with a kind of metal foil that you can bend and fold and prick holes in to make patterns.

I found that the toner transfers to the paper when creasing, so I started putting a piece of paper between the two layers of paper when doing this. The toner can be erased somewhat using a kneaded rubbr eraser, but not completely.

I discovered problems with three labels for stars and fixed them. I've updated the downloadable files. Their timestamps are now "7 Oct 2021 1:11 a.m.".
Attached Thumbnails
Celestial sphere models-sphrbiang1.jpg   Celestial sphere models-sphrbiang2.jpg  
Old 10-12-2021, 10:10 AM

Got the first three spherical biangles sewn together. Stocked up a bit on sewing and hobby equipment.

The styrofoam sphere is very good for putting under the spherical biangles in order to bend them. The radius of the model is 7cm while that of the styrofoam sphere is 7.5cm, but it doesn't matter for this purpose.

I did buy non-pointed tapestry needles (#24) but I also found a curved upholsterer's needle, which is what I've been using.

I started with black thread but then I tried off-white, which works fine. It's been very easy, so far.

I think stitches all along the edges would be better and some of the labels for the stars need to be moved out of the way. I will make these changes in a separate version of the plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Celestial sphere models-clstsphr1.jpg   Celestial sphere models-clstsphr2.jpg   Celestial sphere models-clstsphr3.jpg   Celestial sphere models-clstsphr4.jpg   Celestial sphere models-clstsphr5.jpg  

Celestial sphere models-clstsphr6.jpg  
Old 10-15-2021, 03:05 AM

I've updated the plans. This is the new version: https://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/g...s/clstsph3.pdf

It's located here: The GNU 3DLDF Astronomy Page

It's a new file with a new name. I've left the old version on the website.

The new version only has the plans in black on white, due to the fact that I don't yet have a solution for printing white on black.

Other than the size, I think the plans for the other model, with the panels, are completely unchanged. However, I may have made one or two minor corrections.

I've added markings for stitches most of the way along the edges of the spherical biangles and on both sides of each section. I've also increased the radius of the model from 7 to 7.5cm. This is because I have a styrofoam ball with a radius of 7.5cm and the company that makes them doesn't make one with a 7cm radius. In addition, I've adjusted the positions of the labels so they aren't covered by the stitches and I've made some additional adjustments on the labels.

I've nearly finished assembling the old version. It should be much easier with the new version.

The styrofoam ball in the photos has a 6cm radius. It's still useful for temporarily taping the tabs to the opposite faces, which must be done in order to mark the holes for the stitches on the faces (as opposed to the tabs), where there are no markings. This won't be necessary with the new version. The company that makes the styrofoam balls, rings and other shapes is Rayher.

I use removable tape for this purpose. I've discovered another disadvantage of toner, namely that some of it comes off when I peel off the tape. This makes it necessary to use a fresh piece every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Celestial sphere models-clstsphr7.jpg   Celestial sphere models-clstsphr8.jpg   Celestial sphere models-clstsphr9.jpg   Celestial sphere models-clstsphr10.jpg  

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 10-15-2021 at 03:31 AM.
Google Adsense