PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 10-10-2021, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
In the end, it was easier to assemble than I thought it would be.

For a prototype, I think it turned out pretty well. For a finished model, the 170g paper just isn't good enough. I would also use glue in addition to the stitches.

I found a couple of errors with the tabs, which I've corrected.

I will increase the width of the tabs, but this isn't urgent.

I've found that it would be a good idea to leave one or more openings for reaching into the model before closing them when the model is completely assembled.
Attached Thumbnails
Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-pentahex14.jpg   Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-pentahex15.jpg   Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-pentahex16.jpg  
Old 12-04-2021, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Old, unfinished models

I was searching in my basement for something else and found these. I knew they were there, I just didn't know where.

The first was probably built in 1991 and the last possible date would probably be 1994 or 1995. Since then, they've been packed away. I never completed them.

The one in the first two photos has pencil lines on it and it would appear that I plotted them by hand. I believe I did all the others using AutoCAD. I probably have the files somewhere, but they would be on diskettes, unless they're on wax cylinders or clay tablets.

They were in a banana crate and not protected from the air and dust in the basement, so they've suffered a little. In addition, there are brown spots from the acid in the Bristol board. However, it still might be worth restoring and completing them.

On the colored model, I glued watercolor paper to the Bristol board and painted it with watercolor. It needs a second coat and one of the triangles has disappeared.

On the last model, I glued wood veneer to the Bristol board. This would make it possible to use Osma Color Dekorwachs (Sample Sachets - Osmo Holz und Color GmbH & Co. KG), which is non-toxic and permitted for use with toys (and looks good). As an alternative, I bought some watercolors of the brand Stockmar, which are also non-toxic. Judged purely as watercolor paints, they're so-so and not in the same league with Old Holland, Schmincke, Winsor and Newton, Lukas, etc. (and not intended to be), but it would make it possible to handle the models without having to wash one's hands afterwards and also to give them as presents to children.
Attached Thumbnails
Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-polyhedron01.jpg   Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-polyhedron02.jpg   Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-polyhedron03.jpg   Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-polyhedron04.jpg   Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-polyhedron05.jpg  

Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-polyhedron06.jpg   Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-polyhedron07.jpg   Polyhedron Model:  Pentagonal Hexecontahedron-polyhedron08.jpg  

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 12-04-2021 at 12:58 AM.

Tags
archimedean dual, mathematical models, polyhedra, polyhedron